Talk

Advanced search

Holiday to Cyprus - 'stupid'?

(27 Posts)
AhhhhABaby Fri 05-Feb-16 22:49:35

Going to Cyprus for at the beginning of the summer break, my dm seems to think this is a really stupid idea and tried to talk me and oh out of it. Said with everything going on with Isis isn't it best going somewhere else. There's specific reasons oh wants to visit Cyprus that's why we are going there... Along with just wanting a relaxing break of course.

Are we 'being stupid' or is my dm overreacting?

Any suggestions appreciated xxx

exLtEveDallas Fri 05-Feb-16 22:51:49

There is nothing wrong with Cyprus, and the security state is no higher than UKs. Your DM is being ridiculous.

AhhhhABaby Fri 05-Feb-16 22:52:26

Should add me and other are 21/22 and first holiday away abroad together.

This whole situation has caused tension between me and mum as I don't see how we are stupid as she likes to put it xx

BillThePony Fri 05-Feb-16 22:52:42

Yes. My brother lives in Cyprus, I go out all the time.

Perfectly safe and no more under threat than any other place.

I'm going to Cyprus too. DP voiced a bit of concern but it's no more of a target than Spain, France, UK...... I get that the geography is off putting but I don't think I'll feel any more at risk than I would anywhere else.

AhhhhABaby Fri 05-Feb-16 22:54:38

Thanks for confirming what I already though smile she said its because it's close to Syria aswell xxx

HemanOrSheRa Fri 05-Feb-16 22:56:13

Christ. I hope not. This very evening I have been looking at our first family holiday abroard in 10 years in Cyprus. DP is very risk adverse and he didn't say anything confused.

AhhhhABaby Fri 05-Feb-16 22:56:59

Thanks all!! Already putting my mind at ease that it's perfectly fine to go! I didn't even think of the risk before we booked as i didn't think there was one xx

HemanOrSheRa Fri 05-Feb-16 22:57:03

*abroad

AhhhhABaby Fri 05-Feb-16 22:59:43

Heman book up to go grin!! just my mum being ridiculous and causing a fuss over nothing!

AnyFucker Fri 05-Feb-16 23:00:08

I would go to Cyprus

Ignore her

CreepingDogFart Fri 05-Feb-16 23:01:11

Your mum is being a lovely caring mum.
Cyprus is stunning.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 05-Feb-16 23:24:14

Ha! Baby it's funny because both DP his Mum will say 'Oooooh I wouldn't go there if I were you^. I long to go to Morocco and back to India. Cyprus didn't get the cats bum face grin.

RedSoloCup Fri 05-Feb-16 23:29:12

I just went for the weekend (DM and Dad live there), I looked into it a lot first and insurance was v cheap, think it's fine.....

IJustLostTheGame Fri 05-Feb-16 23:32:12

I was in cyprus last September, I'm going again this September.
I got a bit mobbed by some local stray cats because I started feeding them, but that's the most dramatic thing that happened. And I don't think they were Islamic extreme cats either.
Great inexpensive food, beautiful scenery, friendly, sunshine, interesting histories....
Have a great time!

Apples11 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:52:13

OP, have you decided whether to go to Cyprus? And if so, which part? We're looking at holidays to either Turkey or Cyprus this year, my OH is saying no to Turkey but looking at the map, I think the plane has to fly over to Turkey to get into Cyprus? Both places seem cheaper than other European destinations.

IamCarcass Tue 08-Mar-16 15:58:02

I think it's daft, would much rather go somewhere with guaranteed cold weather.
Actually it's your holiday so go where you like, but for the sake of peace, you could always tell her you've seen the error of your ways and you changed the tickets to visit Bognor Regis instead?

StickyToffeePuddingAndCustard Tue 08-Mar-16 16:07:35

It is absolutely fine in Cyprus, no more risk than anywhere else (probably less, they have a low crime rate there). And you have two British army bases plus Cypriot and Turkish army manning each side of the border so lots more military presence per square miles than most countries.

MeMySonAndl Tue 08-Mar-16 16:11:30

Good grief, that is like saying don't go to England on the basis of the terrorist attacks in France...

sonjadog Tue 08-Mar-16 16:15:08

I'm going to Cyprus in two weeks time. Can't wait!

TheFridgePickersKnickers Tue 08-Mar-16 16:15:20

Your dm is the one being ridiculous.
Cyprus is at no more risk than Spain or France etc.
In fact with the British Military being based there at several permanent bases I would imagine that in the unlikely event of British tourists being involved in some kind of terrorist incident support would be on hand quicker than say in Spain.
Go and enjoy your lovely holiday.

sonjadog Tue 08-Mar-16 16:20:33

Btw, before I went to Bangkok for the first time, my mother went on and on and on about how dangerous it was and how stupid I was to go. It completely ruined all anticipation for me and she put so much fear into me that I nearly cancelled. When I went, I loved it. Really loved it. It is now my favourite city in the world.

What I learnt from the experience is not to let someone else's fear ruin my enjoyment or run my life. I swore my mother would not do it to me again. She has tried a few times for other trips but I shut down the topic as soon as it is raised. I suggest you are firm and clear about going and then refuse to engage in any conversation about it. Enjoy planning and look forward to your trip.

mrssmith79 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:21:08

I go twice a year - June and October. Never once questioned my safety. Go and enjoy - it's a beautiful place.

specialsubject Tue 08-Mar-16 16:22:50

Cyprus has been a divided island for decades. A long, long running problem, hence the military presence.

If you are going to the north, there are things to check out, and the airport is not recognised by IATA. Hence all planes into Ercan have to stop in Turkey first as only Turkey recognises the republic of northern cyprus.

no issues for the south.

KinkyAfro Tue 08-Mar-16 16:23:48

I'm just back from Protaras and I'm still alive! Was there in September and going back this September, no issues whatsoever. There's only one person being stupid and it's not you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now