to buy a changing matt with a harness type thing

(14 Posts)
HelloCanYouHearMe Fri 05-Feb-16 17:38:45

So i can change DS with minimal fuss?

Since he discovered how to roll, every nappy change has been a fucking nightmare, usually resulting in me 'pinning' him lightly with one arm and him voicing his displeasure.

Ive tried distracting him with toys, socks (his latest favourite plaything), singing... nothing seems to work.

Do i buckle him up or resort to attempting to put the nappy on by reverse? like ive started doing with his clothes

What do others with wriggly babies do?

Badumchhhhh Fri 05-Feb-16 17:41:19

ime they don't work - I used one in a changing room and he just rolled over with the mat on his back.

You just have to pin down hold firmly, and maybe try a song with hand actions. You can keep making up more verses of wheels on the bus...

PhilPhilConnors Fri 05-Feb-16 17:41:25

Gaffer tape.

(Joke)

With ds2 we used various things in rotation. Keys worked for a bit. Putting a t-shirt over his head sometimes made him keep still (we found that out by accident, he was never upset by it).
Once he could stand up we used pull-up nappies instead and a vice-like grip

Pseudo341 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:43:25

I'm disabled with limited use of my hands and had one of these for DD1, it was fantastic, I'd have struggled to change her otherwise. Unfortunately it fell apart and I couldn't find another one when DD2 came along. DD1 was always big for her age and very strong early on, but DD2 is mini so I'm coping so far. Definitely get one, it's brillant.

Pseudo341 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:45:29

Badumchhhh it sounds like there's more than one type. The one I had was really big with a piece of thick board in the back so it was completely rigid, no way a child could have rolled with it on. I don't think they make them anymore though.

PunkAssMoFo Fri 05-Feb-16 17:56:47

Snacks!
For a month or so until dd learnt to stay still I had to resort to distracting her with a couple of rice cakes/breadsticks etc. Worked a treat (if you'll pardon the pun!).

HoobleDooble Fri 05-Feb-16 18:08:51

I had one, it was called a Rabbitt mat. All my antenatal friends thought I was insane paying so much for a changing mat, but my DS was the oldest of the group by a few months, so they soon realised why!

It was great, with a harness and a hard back so he couldn't roll over, I think I still have it somewhere.

HelloCanYouHearMe Fri 05-Feb-16 18:13:08

I'm eyeing this up

HoobleDooble Fri 05-Feb-16 18:14:55

I'd just seen that and was about to link to it! They look very similar to the rabbit mat.

Pastamancer Fri 05-Feb-16 18:16:45

I just use my leg to pin down at home and usually find my toes being chewed

HelloCanYouHearMe Fri 05-Feb-16 18:22:50

£30 is a lot for a changing mat though isnt it?

DP has just raised his eyebrows at the cost and said no way.... i might let him deal with the next dirty nappy grin

TattyDevine Fri 05-Feb-16 18:26:56

I just did mine on the floor after a while.

Then he stood up so I did him standing up.

Even at 4 months he was doing a weird crayfish thing with his legs so he'd scooch up the mat and try and go headfirst to his death on the changing table thing.

Woe for my poor back.

Now he just leaves skidmarks on the toilet so survived (sort of)

Woobeedoo Fri 05-Feb-16 21:04:10

I always changed my DS on the floor. When he changed from bring still to being a flappy, kicky thing, I used to put the change mat under his activity mat (are they called activity mats? It's those padded mats with the arches that have toys, mirrors, rattly stuff hanging off them). Kept him totally occupied every time.

HelloCanYouHearMe Sun 07-Feb-16 11:15:45

This is going to sound terrible, but it appears that DS is facinated with my elbow, so for now im hovering it in his face and letting him chew on it whilst changing his nappy at speed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now