Talk

Advanced search

…to be nonplussed by the London Mayoral candidates

(11 Posts)
dustyanswer Fri 05-Feb-16 17:14:36

There was a piece about them all in the Standard last night. I have no idea who I'll vote for, as they range from 'meh' to 'hell, no!' I really wish Oona King had got the Labour nomination because Sadiq Kahn does not impress me at all (I'm usually a Labour voter, although I am less partisan when it comes to the mayoral elections)

bloodyteenagers Fri 05-Feb-16 17:17:56

Looks like I am going to have to get googling.
I don't read papers. Barely watch the news.
Until a thread the other day I didn't even know there was a mayoral election.
Did I mention that I am registered to vote, live in London and no idea at all who is running?

DoctorFegg Fri 05-Feb-16 17:18:38

If I found Zac Goldsmith in my bed I'd give him two days to get out.

scatteroflight Fri 05-Feb-16 17:21:53

Aside from his hotness, I think Goldsmith has shown quite a lot of integrity over the past few years, re. Heathrow and HS2. So while I am not a Tory I would happily vote for him. I believe he's actually one of the good politicians who means well.

dustyanswer Fri 05-Feb-16 17:36:22

I agree that ZG, within his limited frame of reference, means well, but he is very much a one-issue candidate. I couldn't care less what he looks like.

GruntledOne Fri 05-Feb-16 17:48:08

I like what I've seen of Sadiq Khan. What puts you off him?

Akire Fri 05-Feb-16 17:50:42

I'm a labour supporter so not really much choice- however Sadiq does talk about housing issues in a very down to earth I understand why. Not like Boris saying it's affordable when it's like 80% of sky rents so not least bit affordable.

But agree very little information yet I await the bombardment of leaflets.

dustyanswer Fri 05-Feb-16 17:57:54

Gruntledone I just feel he's a bit nondescript really. And the times I've seen him on tv he comes across as trying so hard to be a cool dude that he appears lightweight.

dustyanswer Fri 05-Feb-16 18:01:06

Although it must be difficult being a Labour MP at the moment. Be pro-Corbyn and the media rips you apart; be a refusenik and you scupper your career. Or sit on the fence and appear vapid. Tricky.

YesThisIsMe Fri 05-Feb-16 18:03:47

I vowed that I'd vote for whoever promised to do something really solid about air quality because that's one thing where the mayor really does have the power to achieve something and the number of deaths and illnesses caused is truly terrifying. Unfortunately this means I may now be staring down the barrel of a Tory vote.

apricotdanish Fri 05-Feb-16 20:59:08

I very much agree about Zac standing on one issue and this isn't enough for me by any stretch, he's said nothing of any significance on housing that gives hope for people on either average or low incomes. He is pleasant to look at but I find a lot of his politics off putting and this kills any appeal he might have in my eyes. Sadiq has come across as the much stronger candidate to me and has seemed to be more focused on putting his points across rather than trying to badmouth the opposition- which I've seen Zac resort to far too much, in quite a cynical manner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now