Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think it's just not possible to get housework done with a toddler?

(61 Posts)
DarlingCoffee Fri 05-Feb-16 12:37:36

I should probably add that I'm 35 weeks pregnant so interested also to know how/if people manage it with two!

I know everybody says 'just leave it' but I really can not stand a messy, filthy house so how do you do it if you do indeed manage it?!

All tips gratefully received smile

Cindy34 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:39:00

Give toddler a cloth and get them to wipe things.
Give them a brush and dustpan. Don't expect much but they will have fun. Meanwhile you vac around them.

cornishglos Fri 05-Feb-16 12:40:01

TV

RealityCheque Fri 05-Feb-16 12:40:14

YABU

or at least you were until you mentioned you are also 35 weeks!

flowers

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Feb-16 12:40:29

Have you tried a crate?

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 05-Feb-16 12:40:37

I've had to hypnotise mine with Paw Patrol today

Frazzled2207 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:41:17

I have a toddler and a baby.
It's very difficult but toddler is in childcare twice a week so that gives me a chance.
Dm and dmil pop round quite a bit.
If all else fails wait till baby naps and put cbeebies on for toddlerconfused

Buttons23 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:41:31

My toddler is really demanding so I do little and often around him. When he is in the bath, I am cleaning the sink and toilet. When he is eating, I am cleaning the kitchen etc. it's just too difficult expecting him to entertain himself while I get on with housework. I also ask my partner to take him out on a Sunday for a couple of hours and I get on with a lot of cleaning then.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 05-Feb-16 12:41:43

It's like digging a hole - you dig they fill it in!

Frazzled2207 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:42:15

Ah yes I also tend to leave dh in charge for a couple of hours on a weekend.

winchester1 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:42:25

The two yr old helps and the one old gets ignored taught to play by herself. But we only do the essentials wash up, bring in wood, make bottles and food. Prob wash twice a week, never iron and tbh rarely bother putting it away. Do some extra bits like beds and hovering at the weekend (sweep up bits as we go during the week).

MyLifeisaboxofwormgears Fri 05-Feb-16 12:44:37

I used to get DD to "help" she happily trotted around with the big feather duster randomly jabbing it at the cat.

It's also a good chance to get your toddler to practice amusing themselves for 15 minutes - and then build that time up to 30 mins then an hour.

I operated with the basic assumption that: it isn't my job to endlessly entertain my child, they should be able to amuse themselves for an amount of time and to do that they need practice. DD particularly liked "sorting" things and would happily do this for ages. I may be fortunate in my DD being able to amuse herself - but then, I just sort of assumed she could, so she did?

KP86 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:46:25

I do housework when DS21m is at child minder's one day per week. Or I/DH takes him out for a couple of hours and the person at home does it.

I'm sure I could do it around him but soooooooooo much easier when he's not here.

GrouchyKiwi Fri 05-Feb-16 12:54:36

DD1 (4) is old enough now to keep herself occupied while I do housework. DD2 (18 months) follows me around and amuses herself with whatever she can find in each room I'm cleaning.

If I need to do something more intensive then I either put on a film or wait till the weekend and get DH to take them shopping with him while I tidy or whatever.

We have a robo vacuum cleaner now for during the week (I have SPD so can't vacuum) and that helps a lot. The children both like watching it bumble around the room and I can get on with another job (or have a rest) while it's busy.

Owllady Fri 05-Feb-16 12:57:42

I used to just quickly run the Hoover round downstairs and I'd leave everything else until the weekend when we were both at home. I didn't find it that easy either.

SaucyJack Fri 05-Feb-16 12:59:12

I'll ask DP when he gets home from work.

The fucking dickhead seems to think he has all the answers to this one.

honeylulu Fri 05-Feb-16 12:59:26

I can do housework with my toddler around ... but she follows me and "undoes" it again until I give up.

BeardedBear Fri 05-Feb-16 13:00:22

Ummm, I don't. I keep saying,"I'll do that once she starts school!" (Later this year)

Emergency run around with the vacuum, washing (I have to leave the flat and go down to the cellars) get done when the TV is on or iPad is out.

NavyAndWhiteStripes Fri 05-Feb-16 13:02:08

I have 1 child, so no direct experience of your situation. But it's definitely possible depending on your definition of "housework" and "done". DS used to dust windowsills and radiators and now I still get him involved with stuff (aged nearly 7). I've told him that when he is tall/old enough to clean things properly, I'll pay him to do the housework. This is proving excellent motivation to perfect his skills so far!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 05-Feb-16 13:13:39

crate hahaha grin
I would love a robot vacuum how great! My advice would be to try and make tidying and cleaning as easy as possible so have toy boxes, containers for everything and keep furnishings/ ornaments/picture frames to a minimum so much less dusting. Do little and often to keep on top of things, rather than a huge blitz of the house.
Television is an excellent baby sitter if you need half an hour.( They may not be able to hear it over the hoover)
Give yourself a break though. You're about to give birth so will have a lot on your hands and I think your standards may have to slip a little.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:15:36

When I'm home alone with the toddler all I do is make sure I wash up after lunch and then stick a load of washing in the washing machine.

That's my housework for the day grin

SalemSaberhagen Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:20

CBeebies. Lots and lots of CBeebies.

Tidy kitchen whilst she has her lunch in her high chair. She helps me make the bed. Plays in the cot (she might as well get some use out of it, she's never slept in it) whilst I clean the bathroom. But then I'm not pregnant! I found housework horrible enough at 35 weeks, let alone with a toddler.

Bananalanacake Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:23

I like the crate Worra but doesn't a cot do the same thing?

winchester1 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:37:02

Toddlers escape from.cots and if you've two the big one climbs into the lo cot to 'help' her sleep.
I think crates are the way forward grin

EponasWildDaughter Fri 05-Feb-16 13:37:37

It depends what you're trying to do.

I manage to do a bit of hoovering, the washing up, bunging clothes in the washing machine and then the dryer every day with DD4 toddling about behind me. 'Helping' a bit.

It takes longer than it should, and gets done at funny times (washing up breakfast stuff in the afternoon) but it gets done.

Nap time is good for doing a bit of attention to paperwork/phone calls.

The loo's and bathroom get done when i'm in there anyway. Having a shower or whatever.

In the summer she toddles about while i mow the lawn. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 days to finish it. (big bare lawn)

What i cannot do with her in tow is things like big cupboard clear outs and proper deep cleaning. I'll wait till she's old enough for school there's someone else about to entertain her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now