Talk

Advanced search

to put my foot down about this?

(4 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Fri 05-Feb-16 11:54:57

Going to bullet point to summarise:

- Pipe in loft broke
- House flooded
- Ceilings, flooring and some furniture upstairs and down damaged with water.
- We have been evacuated for 2-3 months
- Insurance company promise like for like repairs/replacement
- all flooring and both beds written off immediately
- ceilings clearly in a bad state (large areas of water 'puddling', several holes and cracks).
- insurance company claim they can make good with drying out and painting. I disagree, I'm concerned about plasterboard strength, mould, fire safety and aesthetics (we had all the ceilings replastered a few months ago).
- I have very clearly stated I want the ceilings replaced for these reasons and they are basically ignoring me.
- I have written correspondance from 2 major plasterboard manufacturers who, based on my information, strongly recommend replacing the ceilings.

Should I continue to fight this?

Is there anything else I can do to help my case?

JacksSkellington Fri 05-Feb-16 12:04:09

Go to the financial ombudsman

In fact threatening that alone will possibly get the result you want. They're very good.

Do fight it. There is no way a ceiling with an extensive leak can be repaired without replacing the plasterboard. We had a small leak in our kitchen ceiling and it's going to have to be scraped and filled before painting where it's got a slight crack, and even then we might have to cut out a small part to replace the board.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 05-Feb-16 14:33:28

Thank you. I was think of this as a 'last ditch' attempt to get what I want. But can I do it now? No harm in trying I guess.

honeylulu Fri 05-Feb-16 15:33:56

You have to make a complaint through the insurer's official complaints process. if they don't deal with it to your satisfaction you have six months from the date of the decision (on your complaint) to apply to the fos. The fos is very consumer biased and will probably support you.Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now