Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you cope when your other half has flu

(12 Posts)
silversparrow Fri 05-Feb-16 09:47:00

His temperature's 102. He's shaking in bed feeling terrible and snaps at me when I ask how I can help sad

We have a 5-month velcro baby, I have PND and anxiety.
I had flu jab when pregnant but am worried baby might catch flu. I had mild symptoms a few days ago and baby was off food/extra irritable for 24-hours but fine now.

I know IABU to feel panicky but I'm worried how we'll cope. How long until he's up and about again? Is it ok to leave him in bed and go out for a bit with baby?

Baby cries if not held constantly. I had 3hours sleep last night.

How do you nurse your OH through flu?

Stillunexpected Fri 05-Feb-16 10:15:42

Of course it's fine to go out. If he has flu he needs peace and quiet to sleep and plenty of water to drink. It will be several days before he's up though. If you have a spare room I would sleep there and just keep the baby away from him. Can't imagine he will be too keen for cuddles at the moment anyway.

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 05-Feb-16 10:25:08

Um I don't nurse him (and I am a nurse!). I ask him if he wants drink or pain relief, food he might want. But mainly leave him to sleep. Of course you should go out. Keep your baby downstairs or go out and just let him sleep.

MistressDeeCee Fri 05-Feb-16 10:54:29

Paracetamol peace quiet sleep and rest. Why would you need to nurse him? All there is to do is check up on him in between, bring him drinks, maybe snacks thats if he can even face food at the moment. You've enough on your plate as it is, flu is awful but loads of us get it. Its going around at the moment, DD2 has it so she's off college today, had a very light breakfast took 2 paracetamol and is now upstairs asleep. Im working from home, checking on her every couple of hours or so...I'm downstairs with my mobile next to me, told her to ring downstairs if she wants a drink or bite to eat, and I'll bring it up to her. Thats about it really

hellsbellsmelons Fri 05-Feb-16 11:32:48

snaps at me when I ask how I can help
Flu is horrible but he's also being horrible to you.
He's an adult. Leave him to it.
Get out of the house with your baby.
He can cope.
I've got a horrible feeling about your DP though.

silversparrow Fri 05-Feb-16 11:34:51

Thanks

We're in a flat so he's in spare room away from cot.

I've taken him juice, toast and paracetamol.

How many days does someone with flu stay in bed?

hellsbellsmelons Fri 05-Feb-16 11:39:58

It can vary quite a bit.
Usually 3 days but it could be more.

Stillunexpected Fri 05-Feb-16 11:57:52

I was in bed for pretty much three/four days, then got up and did too much (pre-Christmas), managed to get through Christmas Day and then ended up back in bed for two days. I would say several days in bed.

LotsOfShoes Fri 05-Feb-16 12:00:18

The flu once completely knocked me out for 5 days. Couldn't get out of bed, could barely take myself to the bathroom. Having someone hover over you constantly asking what you want is annoying and can make anyone snap. He's feeling really sh*t and if this is out of character, let it go. Make him tea, bring him food and let him rest, go out. No need to nurse him or constantly be around him.

VocationalGoat Fri 05-Feb-16 12:09:36

Oh leave him to it.
Leave the odd glass of water, two paracetamols and an ibuprofen by the bedside and add a "You alright, darling heart? I've left some stuff for you to take by the bed. Do you want a cup of tea or anything?"

I like man flu. I get some time to myself. grin

Just back off and offer sporadic doses of concern and compassion.
You're not Florence Nightingale. None of us are.
Look after your baby. Look after you. There's not a whole heap you can for DH. The flu will resolve itself.

WutheringFrights Fri 05-Feb-16 12:46:32

I was discharged from hospital on wednesday, DH is bringing me food, making sure I'm drinking enough, giving me pills when I need to take them and letting me sleep.
I wouldn't dream of snapping at him if he asked if I needed anything - illness is no excuse for rudeness
Go out, have a nice day with your baby.

hiccupgirl Fri 05-Feb-16 13:25:26

I'm not meaning to sound harsh as you clearly have lots on your plate but your OH is presumably an adult who can take care of himself. Make sure he has a drink within reach and painkillers if needed, then leave him to it.

Unless he's got a compromised immune system or long term illness, flu is unlikely to be dangerous for him. Take the baby out and have fun. He'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now