Talk

Advanced search

The comments on a local news article

(14 Posts)
Ellarose85 Fri 05-Feb-16 09:27:13

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/02/north-hykeham-gp-practice-placed-in-special-measures-for-leaving-patients-at-risk/

AIBU in thinking that the girl complaining that she should've been prescribed folic acid should really be paying for it herself? Her partner works full time and they get tax credits, all their antenal care is free on the NHS surely if they can't afford folic acid then how are they going to feed another baby?

I am pregnant with my 2nd, my partner works full time and we aren't entitled to any tax credits as they are going off my earnings from 2014-2015 when I was working full time, it has never occurred to me to get folic acid prescribed.

diploddycus Fri 05-Feb-16 09:33:39

I've not read the article but I've heard of people being prescribed folic acid at the first appointment. Also iron supplements which can also be bought in supermarkets.

Tax credits can take your estimated income for this year to calculate your award if you're going to earn less this year.

diploddycus Fri 05-Feb-16 09:35:04

I should also have said I'm not bothered if someone is given a prescription for folic acid/iron. Doesn't affect me in any way.

NeedACleverNN Fri 05-Feb-16 09:38:42

I was never prescribed it. I was advised to buy that expensive mother one if I could afford it or just buy folic acid and d3 separately if I couldn't.

Birdsgottafly Fri 05-Feb-16 09:46:13

I don't think the point is that she should buy it.

She hasn't been referred to her hospital yet. Luckily she's on her third, but GPs, who some pregnant women have to go through, should be 'pushing' Folic acid and prescribing it. It should be art of the standard appointment.

It's a different system where I live, self referral and easy access etc.

My GP was under special measures and then lost his licence.

Something like this, which seems easily solved, is still part of a wider failure and should still be taken on board.

There are posters up in my GPs, saying that if you are ttc, you can get Folic Acid. Being under Care Of the Chemist isn't enough, some won't give you anything if you're pregnant.

JenEric Fri 05-Feb-16 10:03:12

The take folic acid advice is everywhere and has been for years. It costs about a quid for a months supply. I wouldn't dream of asking for it on script even though I am on free prescriptions.

Personally unless it's been a choice between buying meds and buying food anything that costs less than £10 or so I've bought over counter despite being on free prescriptions.

I believe getting stuff like calpol, normal paracetamol, ibuprofen, strepsils and folic acid on script a waste of nhs resources. If you are in the food or meds camp then yes do it as that's what the facility is there for but if you have the couple of quid it costs to buy this stuff just do it, especially if you would have to use a docs appt to get the script!

Ellarose85 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:07:49

This ^

Sighing Fri 05-Feb-16 11:29:47

If it's 5mg (high dose) you do need a prescription for it to get it in a pharmacy (so if you've a BMI over 29; if you have diabetes; IBS or various other health issues). (Although you can order it on Amazon as a US import that will be marked 'medical aid', obviously you're then paying a lot more than it costs).

mrtwitsglasseye Fri 05-Feb-16 17:58:07

She may be in a high risk category for neural tube defects and need a 5mg dose? That's only available on prescription

NeedACleverNN Sat 06-Feb-16 09:02:15

My husband has now told me he agrees with the Italian man angry

NeedACleverNN Sat 06-Feb-16 09:02:28

Oops wrong thread

Shirkingfromhome Sat 06-Feb-16 09:13:21

At our surgery you can buy vitamins (folic acid, vitamin drops for dc) at really low cost. I bought some gaviscon at my local pharmacy and was told I could get on prescription as part of my maternity exemption, I as a bit hmm .

That said, my DS (2) has eczema and his last set of creams were prescribed although I'm sure I could buy it off-prescription. Where do you draw the line?

Penfold007 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:23:21

Ella you've picked on one reader's comment. The article clearly says the practice was failing vulnerable patients especially with MH or child safeguarding issues. Many posts on MN are from people struggling to get GP support with similar issues.

limitedperiodonly Sat 06-Feb-16 09:28:58

Vroom. The sound of the point going over OP's head.

The GP surgery is in special measures and you're most bothered about the person possibly abusing the NHS...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now