To want to wait until after our Spanish holiday to wait to TTC due to Zika virus!?

(18 Posts)
MissClarke86 Fri 05-Feb-16 07:07:51

I've just had a MC and am thinking about when to start to TTC.

We've just booked a short break to Barcelona in April. I wanted to TTC straight away but am wondering whether to hold off a few months due to the fact that they've had a case of the Zika virus over there!

AIBU? I know it's only a couple more months so it's not really the waiting, just normally I'm not easily scaremongered!

SoupDragon Fri 05-Feb-16 07:09:27

You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Feb-16 07:10:39

By which I mean, 100 people could come on and say "don't be ridiculous! It will be fine because of X Y or Z" but if you would still worry, what difference does a few months make?

Sirzy Fri 05-Feb-16 07:13:06

I agree with soup

I think the key thing is if you did get pregnant before would you be able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy or would that worry always niggle at the back of your head?

Blu Fri 05-Feb-16 07:17:28

Sorry about your mc.

I agree with SoupDragon. Worry is worry and it is not a nice thing to live with . You can quote stats til you're blue in the face but a worry is a worry.

Only a couple of months, enjoy your holiday and look forward to TTC once you are back.

Mistigri Fri 05-Feb-16 07:25:01

Aren't the spanish cases imported ones ie people who contracted zika in Latin America? You'd expect Spain/Portugal to be more affected than other european countries because of cultural and economic links with spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in South America.

If the disease is contracted via mosquitoes and rare cases of sexual transmission then unless you plan to shag a Spaniard who's recently returned from Brazil you should be ok ...

ptumbi Fri 05-Feb-16 07:40:05

HOnestly, I think if you leave it long enough, you'll find an isolated case or two in Britain soon enough too. It is scary, but it is a small risk in Europe.

Badumchhhhh Fri 05-Feb-16 07:42:17

YANBU to TTC whenever you want
YABU to blame Zika in Spain - the mosquitos that transmit it are not there

mouldycheesefan Fri 05-Feb-16 07:43:33

You cannot get bitten by a zika mosquito in Spain. I wouldn't delay.

TheClacksAreDown Fri 05-Feb-16 07:43:39

Wasn't the Spanish case someone who contracted it in South America? So that case in itself is no reason to postpone plans. You could research whether the relevant mosquitos can survive in Spain if they get there but I was under the impression it would need to be hotter so April should be ok.

RobotMenu Fri 05-Feb-16 07:54:38

But people are being told not to Ttc for 2 years after being infected.

You shouldn't get infected, but if you were it's not over in a coup,e of months, which is why there's such a worry.

Mistigri Fri 05-Feb-16 07:58:41

You really, honestly are not going to get Zika in Barcelona, but - do you really want to be in the early stages of pregnancy and potentially feeling a bit rubbish when on holiday?

Give yourself a bit of a break to get over your MC, and have a wonderful holiday.

scaevola Fri 05-Feb-16 08:00:32

There have been 8 cases in Spain, one in a pregnant woman.

All brought in by travellers.

There have been 6 such cases in Britain.

Are you going to put off TTC indefinitely because it is here as well?

Unless the disease jumps vector, it will not take hold in places where the aedes mosquito does not live. Do you worry about dengue fever in non-aedes areas? Or malaria in non-anopheles areas?

Costacoffeeplease Fri 05-Feb-16 08:08:21

There's obviously still a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation about the zika virus - you can't catch it in mainland Europe, any cases here are from travellers who picked it up in South America

Blu Fri 05-Feb-16 08:10:47

There was an article (by a scientist not a nut job blogger ) linked on another Zika thread, possibly the honeymoon one, explaining that whilst the type of mosquito that spreads the virus in Brazil does not live in Spain there is a Tiger Mosquito that he believes is very likely to be able to carry it. And that Spain is worried.

Though there seems to be no current risk.

scaevola Fri 05-Feb-16 08:23:49

I've also seen interviews with scientists talking about the possibility of jumping to other vectors.

I've not read any of the evidence about this. But looking at the current outbreak areas, it is not being spread by other insects as it has not moved beyond aedes areas. If other species are being tested to see if they carry it, and it is found in them, then the 'at risk' areas could expand.

Berthatydfil Fri 05-Feb-16 08:24:48

I have read that it is transmitted by blood contact and sexually so it must be transmissible in bodily fluids. It's not like malaria where the organism completes part of its life cycle in the mosquito.
I think the focus on the single species of mosquito being the only way of transmission is unrealistic at the moment as so much is unknown about the virus.
If as seems likely it's transmitted by the bite process and blood/blood contact occurring from one bite to the next in quick succession then it is possible that many other biting insects including other mosquito species could also transmit it.
Yes you may be safer in a built up city but some mosquitos don't need a massive pond on stagnant water to breed.
I don't want to scare monger as the full e tent if the problems caused by this virus isn't know but I would be very careful if I was planning on ttc - and would certainly be delaying until more is known

Whatdoidohelp Fri 05-Feb-16 08:30:52

Zika isn't in Spain. It was brought to Spain by a woman who caught it in South America. She caught it there when pregnant. Unless she has passed it to her husband through sexual contact and then you shag her husband in pretty sure you will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now