To ask for your best sun holiday with little ones.

(36 Posts)
Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 05-Feb-16 05:50:19

I'll have a 3yr old, 1.5yr old and 6mth old this summer. We need a good sun holiday location so can you share your best holidays abroad with little ones? My parents will join us and I'm thinking self catering us the way to go. But any ideas are welcome. DH's only request is warm weather. Other than that it's about it being easy and fun with the kids.

Buddhabuddha Fri 05-Feb-16 06:08:18

When my children were that young it was all inclusive holidays for us, we went to Turkey 3 times, no stresses of cooking, cleaning, shopping, making beds etc leaving more relaxed time to spend time together. Otherwise for us it would have just be the same as being home but in another location....

scarednoob Fri 05-Feb-16 06:32:11

Cala d'or in Mallorca is great for little ones, lovely beaches and the town centre is pedestrianised, which is nice when you go out. Short flight too.

I also like Madeira - mostly stony beaches, but lovely weather, nice food etc, and some good days out for kids, eg the wicker tobogganing down a hill was a massive favourite with my niece and nephew

chosenone Fri 05-Feb-16 06:34:33

Puerto Pollensa , Mallorca. Lovely promenade and Pine walk. Full of young families. We stayed at the Puerto Azul, perfect for little ones.

TattyDevine Fri 05-Feb-16 09:30:08

I had a lovely time at Princess Yaiza in Lanzarote - quite pricey though.

IJustLostTheGame Fri 05-Feb-16 09:35:02

We hired a villa with a fenced off pool near nerja in Spain.
Had a blast.

molyholy Fri 05-Feb-16 10:05:48

I second hiring a villa. Best holidays we had. We went Feurtaventura. Glorious weather and as you can go out of school term, you should pick up a pretty good deal. Another tip - enjoy these cheaper hols before the children start school!!

budgiegirl Fri 05-Feb-16 10:25:43

If you can stretch to it, hiring a villa with it's own pool (as long as it's fenced off, or with lockable access) is great. Anywhere warm will do! It means you can pop the kids down for a nap while you can sit outside, swim etc and still be within earshot. Also evenings are easier as you don't have to go to bed at the same time as the kids.

The only downside I found initially was that my inlaws and my DH sat around drinking and eating while I did all the running around, including making all the meals for 4 adults and 3 children. Two days in, and one shouting session from me soon fixed that ! Strange really, as they are all very helpful at home, they just seemed to go into 'holiday' mode and forget there were three small children that still needed looking after.

Now the kids are older, it's hotels all the way for me! But when they were small, we particularly liked Menorca, and Lanzarote.

KeepSmiling83 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:34:37

I would second Princess Yaiza in Lanzarote. We went when DD1 was 8 months and it was fantastic. She had just started weaning and they used to blend food up for her (as much or as little as you want) which we could keep in the room. Each room had its own fridge, sink and microwave which was great for warming things up, sterilising bottles etc. It's right on the front and there are lots of nice restaurants nearby.

We also go to Cala D'or a lot. We are going this year and staying in a villa just near the centre. The weather is lovely and the beaches are small coves which are great for little ones. It is very child friendly and the centre has lots of great places to eat!

stumblymonkey Fri 05-Feb-16 11:20:21

Personally I would give Turkey a bit of a wide berth at the moment with the current ISIS situation....obviously statistically it's unlikely to be caught up in something like the Tunisia massacre but when there are so many other places to go I wouldn't take even a small risk.

- Majorca and Menorca have already been mentioned

- Canary Islands, could be a little too hot depending on when you plan to travel so worth checking the average temperature

- We went to Portugal a lot, Praia De Luz is lovely if you can get over the Maddy connection. Otherwise there are lots of nice areas on the Algarve.

- South of France

cornishglos Fri 05-Feb-16 12:31:24

Wow you're busy!
Canaries - lovely weather, short flight and no time difference.
Eurocamp out of season can also be incredibly cheap.

Buddhabuddha Fri 05-Feb-16 12:36:49

I agree re: Turkey, we wouldn't go there now, shame as its a beautiful country, lovely food and friendly people.

VocationalGoat Fri 05-Feb-16 12:37:06

Portugal, the Algarve. We rented a small villa with a pool and had a blast. I had to psyche myself up. The Maddy connection is tough to let go of,but once we were there, I relaxed a bit. Though close the metal shutters at night and when you leave the house for the day. I am not aware of boatloads of robberies/crime in the region, but any tourist spot has more than you'd expect.

Frazzled2207 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:59:02

We had a nice time at Monte Santo, Carvoeiro, Algarve. Posh 2 bed appartments though they also have villas.
Went just out of term time and everyone there was with pre-schoolers so we fitted right in and kids had playmates etc.

notquitehuman Fri 05-Feb-16 13:17:26

We did an all inclusive in Costa Brava last year. Advantages were that DS loved the evening entertainment, and it was nice to cook. However, the resort was packed with no sun beds and the food was bloody awful! For the same cost we could have hired a villa with a private pool. If you've got parents staying too then you could split the cooking and maybe ask for an evening of childcare.

Portugal is lovely and locals seemed very child friendly.

Gattabianca Fri 05-Feb-16 13:44:34

The most family friendly place we've been for sun holidays is Menorca. I like Son Bou and Santo Tomas for beautiful safe beaches. My 3 yo loves bouncy castles, these seem to be everywhere in Menorca so kids can bounce in the evening before you go out for dinner.
Mestral & Llebeig are nice, cheap self catering apartments with a splash pool and 2 normal pools.
The Royal Son Bou Family Club is lovely too but is half board or all inc.
it's only 2 hour flight which is long enough. The 4 hour flight to the Canaries was ok when DS was a baby but too long now.

Would love some suggestions actually - Its a great thread!
We are looking to take our first family sun holiday this year with our 10 year old and one year old!

ZiggyFartdust Fri 05-Feb-16 14:15:02

You'll find a lot of information in any of the travel topics, many many threads about holidays there.

Laquila Fri 05-Feb-16 14:24:28

Lanzarote Park Hotel is a much cheaper option than the Princess Yaiza - obviously not as luxurious or fancy, not clean, comfortable and good food (we were half board) and right opposite the beach. It was ideal for us with a 19-mth old, but the flight would probably too long for a lot of people.

I love the idea of the flexibility of a villa holiday with kids, but in reality I sooo much appreciated not having to cook or clean at all, and not having to get in a car to go anywhere!

Yokohamajojo Fri 05-Feb-16 14:33:38

We went to a Thomson Hotel in Santa Eulalia, Ibiza when the kids were small, loved it. We also went to Cala Bona in Majorca, not as great but good for small children, found it very touristy though there were literary no spanish places to eat!

claireemma86 Fri 05-Feb-16 14:49:43

We are travelling to Tenerife this year and went to Ibiza last year as First Choice Holiday Village have the best options for us. The only two with a seperate creche for the under 2's is Tenerife and Ibiza and we pre-booked some sessions for our DD. The others have kids clubs but my DD loves going to creches and is used to going to different groups during the week. The food was amazing - buffet food but we did have a kitchenette and also had the option of 2 nights eating at their themed restaurants. I was really impressed. Also all the creche and kids club facilities are to UK standard with UK toys, some she recognised from home so was happy with those.

Avebury Fri 05-Feb-16 15:03:49

Villa with fenced off pool and shallow children's bit in Moraira in Spain with in walking distance of beach, restaurants and supermarket. We ate out most lunchtimes then just had bread/cheese/wine in the evenings so no major catering.

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 05-Feb-16 15:06:14

Avebury, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you mind pm'ing me where you stayed?

Avebury Fri 05-Feb-16 15:13:59

It was actually a friend's parents' villa. They live out there and we house swapped with them so they could visit my friend.
Would totally recommend the area with small children though - easy journey from Alicante, beach is small enough not to lose them but not too crowded and there were enough child friendly restaurants around.
Hope you find somewhere lovely!

Quoteunquote Fri 05-Feb-16 15:28:19

Get a villa close to a quite beach, with so many of you it will work out cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now