Talk

Advanced search

to like carpets?

(20 Posts)
notimetoshop Thu 04-Feb-16 23:19:03

We've just moved. We have carpets, not great carpets, but fairly new bog-standard carpets. I want to do up the living room. But everywhere I look for inspiration the only option is floorboards. I like floorboards, we used to have floorboards, but have they now become compulsory? Is liking carpet so wrong?

Quoteunquote Thu 04-Feb-16 23:26:59

Yes.

honeyroar Thu 04-Feb-16 23:29:49

No. I hate our wooden floors, can't wait to carpet the living room when we finish it!

gamerchick Thu 04-Feb-16 23:30:58

No it isn't!

I won't have them downstairs because they're a ball ache to care for with my lot but I love a good carpet me.

I don't like floorboards. It's an excuse to be a scank with floor washing imo.

Quoteunquote Thu 04-Feb-16 23:34:14

Having run a building company for many years, I put carpets in the same catgory as decking, all house horrors.

It's always really nasty under the carpets when we rip them out no matter how spotless the house was.

Look in to high quality rugs. At least then it's easy to keep clean.

wowfudge Thu 04-Feb-16 23:37:28

Carpet rules as far as I'm concerned: quieter and warmer. Vacuuming is quicker and easier than vacuuming or brushing then mopping.

notimetoshop Thu 04-Feb-16 23:40:29

Really, quoteunquote? carpets are less hygienic? Like wowfudge, I think cleaning is a bit easier and you don't get bits falling down between the floorboards. Although, there is the question that the room may be better ventilated with boards, which is a problem in that room

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 04-Feb-16 23:42:35

I like carpets! Vinyl in bathrooms and hard floors in the kitchen and possibly the hall but carpets everywhere else thanks ,smile

notimetoshop Thu 04-Feb-16 23:45:13

Yeah, we have tiled bathroom and kitchen here. But I grew up with a carpeted bathroom and liked it! They really are no more though.

PinkPjamas Thu 04-Feb-16 23:46:44

YANBU. Apart from (obviously) kitchen, bathroom I have carpets everywhere. I hate the noise, coldness, discomfort of any type of hard floor.

My ex adored the bare wood look. I think it looks okay if polished nicely but he had just floorboards. I hated it.

notimetoshop Thu 04-Feb-16 23:51:02

Thank you all...I am not alone!

BackforGood Thu 04-Feb-16 23:56:08

YANBU at all.

Not only do I share your preference for carpets, but, regardless of that, it does annoy me that shops all sell carbon copies of things these days and there really is very little choice.

Carpet - it seems you can choose plain beige or plain beige
Bathrooms - it seems you have to have a white suite or no suite at all

etc.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 05-Feb-16 00:00:17

My first bathroom refurb included carpet blush but it was many years ago and was on the cusp of enlightenment. I did have a fluffy mat around the loo for cleanability.

987flowers Fri 05-Feb-16 00:00:27

I hate wooden floors. We have them everywhere. They are a pain to clean as you need to vacuum, sweep then mop. I want carpets back!

TheExMotherInLaw Fri 05-Feb-16 00:01:35

I have fitted laminate downstairs and in 3 bedrooms (did it all myself), carpeted stairs, main bedroom and - yes - in the bathroom. I'm about to replace bathroom carpet again as I like the warm feeling underfoot, and I have very poor balance, so scared of slipping on wet tiles or vinyl. I don't actually like hall stairs and landing carpeted, but no other way to cope with it in this house - too many nooks and crannies to fit flooring.

nattyknitter Fri 05-Feb-16 00:14:31

I hate the carpets in my house (also recently moved). The lounge one isn't so bad, but the stairs and upstairs are all the same. I'll take it out in the summer. I want to get the whole of the downstairs tiled with underfloor heating and I will do wood upstairs. I'll keep the stairs carpeted for safety, but will change it from the one I have currently.

I carpet cleaned when I moved in and was horrified at how black the water was coming out. I have a dog, so hard floors will be easier to clean than a carpet. Between the muddy feet and the hair carpet goes horrible.

NinaSimoneful Fri 05-Feb-16 00:18:56

I like carpets. Not only that but I like deep pile carpets. Yanbu!

MrsMook Fri 05-Feb-16 00:24:15

Carpet lover. It's warmer, non-slip, doesn't involve chasing dust everywhere, quiter...

We bought our house off a laminate fan. The cheapo shiny laminate in the lounge reflected the intense glare off the spotlights. The spotlights were gone in 6 weeks. The laminate within 4 months.
The laminate in the kitchen was lethally slippery when damp. That soon got replaced by vinyl.

ouryve Fri 05-Feb-16 11:42:58

Hard floors are noisy. I like the practicality of them and good ones do look lovely, but we're sticking with carpet because it adds a lot of acoustic dulling, which my kids with ASD desperately need. It also cuts out a lot of draughts.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 05-Feb-16 11:56:18

Love a beautiful carpet me. Especially the smell of a newly laid one. John Lewis's carpet department - what a pleasant way to spend a random hour.

Honestly, I can sleep perfectly easily in my bed at night without worrying what might be under my carpet! If that sort of thing really bothers you then your head is not in a good place imo.

We have engineered wood floor in our kitchen and mopping that is the biggest chore of my week fortnight, month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now