Talk

Advanced search

Dad upset me but I prob overreacted

(8 Posts)
Caramello Thu 04-Feb-16 19:02:48

I accept I might be being unreasonable but am feeling very tearful and upset so maybe dont flame me too hard...!

My parents are divorced, my dad is great with my kids most of the time and thinks the world of them, my mum not so much. She's narcissistic and treats me and my older son quite badly, she picks on him, has called him lazy, she just doesn't like him much (because she doesn't like his dad).
I don't have much contact with her, the kids none at all to protect them.

Earlier was parents evening for my older son, hes v sensitive and has quite low self esteem so I was telling him all the wonderful positive things his teachers had said, I loved seeing his surprise and smiles at hearing how much they thought of him. My dad was here and suddenly butted in: "It's a good job nanny wasn't there - cos she thinks you're a monster!" and smiled at him. He looked gutted and replied "Does she?", his face fell and my heart sank.

I am livid. My dad said I'm majorly overreacting but I feel that kind of random statement damage a child's self esteem. Am I being OTT?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 04-Feb-16 19:08:54

No, you're OK to be mad. He meant it more as a swipe at her so mans sure DS knows that. Either as your dad to say something or say it yourself. If she's really that nasty, compare her to a movie villain he knows of. They always hate the goodies we love.

Just explain to your dad that DS takes these things to heart x

Gruntfuttock Thu 04-Feb-16 19:09:05

What a horrible, hurtful and nasty thing to say! I'm not surprised you're livid.
YADNBU.

Caramello Thu 04-Feb-16 19:46:27

Thank you both, I will talk to DS but the damage is done now sadly. Just don't know why he'd say that, it wasn't relevant to the conversation at all.

I like the movie villain comparison idea smile

brummiesue Thu 04-Feb-16 19:55:15

Tell your dad what a dreadful thing that was to say, may prevent him being so thoughtless in the future

Caramello Thu 04-Feb-16 20:05:00

I did brummiesue, it upset me so much I left the room for a while and cried alone as didn't want to make a big scene. He said it was a joke and DS knows he doesn't mean it, but its just not funny to a child who already has low self esteem. It's made me feel really odd, like I have to make things better somehow. I've given him cuddles and said granddad was just being silly, I went through all the nice comments from parents evening again to try and be positive. He's mentioned it a few times in the past hour since my dad left sad

SquinkiesRule Thu 04-Feb-16 20:07:58

Your Dad is an idiot make sure you tell him that.

cookiefiend Thu 04-Feb-16 20:24:58

Can you tell him your DM us very difficult and also thinks you are a monster- that some people are just nasty and bullies. Explain that is why you no longer speak. He knows you and knows you are not s monster so would it make him feel better if he can see he is not the only ine and she is just horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now