Talk

Advanced search

to ask what communication parents want from class teachers?

(20 Posts)
saltlakecity Thu 04-Feb-16 18:56:11

I had a school questionnaire back from a parent today and it basically said teacher communication was terrible. The child in question has a reading record which this parent never signs or writes comments in. They also have a home school book which again is never signed even though she knows he brings it home daily. I text all parents regularly with good day type news. Parents eves are every term. She doesn't attend parents evenings. What can I do? Aibu?

Shannaratiger Thu 04-Feb-16 19:01:00

YANBU that's the level of communication we get from DD at secondary school and it's perfect. Primary school not so much but we can pop in if we need to.

Gobbolino6 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:01:14

YANBU at all! That's ridiculous!

To answer the question in the thread title...I'd like the teacher to tell me if my child was having friendship or behavioural issues, and I'd like to be told properly how my child is doing with the curriculum...not just 'he's fine', but actual good points and things to work on.

saltlakecity Thu 04-Feb-16 19:03:27

I'm just slightly annoyed this reflects on me and my management team might think it's true. I am always happy to meet parents. She doesn't pick him up either where I could speak to her anytime she wanted. She's never asked to speak to me.

senua Thu 04-Feb-16 19:04:14

The questionnaire was not confidential?

LalaLyra Thu 04-Feb-16 19:04:41

Tbh with a parent like that probably nothing. Some people want the teacher to call them daily/weekly/when anything happens and won't be happy with anything that requires any effort. (Unless indignantly saying 'I want to SPEAK to the teacher' actually turns out to be code for 'I can't read' but that's only ever happened once to me in 12 schools so unlikely)

Maybe remind parents how the home school book works? I know a couple of people who get nervous writing in 'the teacher's book' which is daft, but they are genuine.

Or ask her specifically what things she wants to communicate about?

I'm happy with home school book and being able to grab a word with someone (teacher, ta, whoever) in a morning if I want to pass on a question or issue.

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 04-Feb-16 19:04:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Washediris Thu 04-Feb-16 19:06:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

donners312 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:07:14

Could it be that she doesn't understand the system e.g. doesn't know to look in the school diary etc

I just moved back to UK and i seem to keep missing things.

that said I would blame myself not the teacher??

Can you ask to speak to her and address it?

saltlakecity Thu 04-Feb-16 19:08:22

Senua - No it wasn't. It's was teachers and managers to see what the general consensus was around school. They were 1-5 type questions and this mum's literacy skills are fine or I assume they are since she holds down a job role that would require reading.

Pico2 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:09:43

We get a weekly email telling us what they are doing next week. I find that really useful for reinforcing learning and starting 'what did you do at school' conversations. That's for reception, I have no idea what they do for other year groups.

ThomasRichard Thu 04-Feb-16 21:12:37

What age group do you teach OP?

I have a DS in year 1. We get a curriculum newsletter home each term to tell us what they'll be covering, a reading log, a weekly homework folder and a termly parents evening. I work so I only do do one drop-off and collection a week and as the only things he tells me about are the number of vampires he chased at playtime or what pudding he had at lunchtime grin it often feels like I have very little idea of what he's doing.

Things I'd really appreciate:

- honest parents evenings. What is he good at? Where is he behind? What are your concerns? Is he happy? What should I be doing that I'm not doing?

- an up-to-date website. It's so frustrating when I go to check the date for the non-school uniform day etc. and the letters aren't on there, or the curriculum letter is last year's.

It sounds like you're doing lots. If the parent chooses not to engage then maybe ask them directly what they would like to see? Otherwise, don't take it to heart.

JWIM Thu 04-Feb-16 21:16:56

OP this survey response falls into the 'there's always one' category. Communication is a two way activity. You are offering a variety of options to share information about the child. It is the parent that is not engaging. In reality this parent would never be satisfied. What did the majority of responses say?

notinagreatplace Thu 04-Feb-16 21:17:48

Quite often with surveys, people will tick a bad option on one question because they're feeling generally dissatisfied and it's actually something else that's the real issue.

I would give her a call, if I were you and just say you were reviewing the questionnaire results and wondered if she had any thoughts on this or anything else - keep the tone open and friendly and see what she says.

CMOTDibbler Thu 04-Feb-16 21:25:12

I like to know whats going on (where I have to do something) at least 2 weeks ahead. On the website or via email/text. I will not magically know what 'bring a mothers day gift' actually means, or magically have a tudor costume with under a weeks notice.
If theres an issue, I'd like an email about it. Nothing at parents evening should be a shock

Guacamowle Thu 04-Feb-16 21:30:06

Sounds to me as though you are already going above and beyond - would have loved my dc teachers to have emailed good day stories to me when they were at school! Suspect it's another case of totally unrealistic expectations of what teachers can achieve in a day. Maybe she would like you to pop round with a PowerPoint presentation of her little darling's day on your way home every evening?

Roonerspism Thu 04-Feb-16 21:33:59

I think your communication is perfect. Sounds like a peeve about another aspect of the school - a previous teacher maybe?

arethereanyleftatall Thu 04-Feb-16 21:41:24

Yanbu.
There are some people, thankfully not too many, who just complain about everything.
A mum at our school is like this; a typical conversation;
'None school uniform day? They didn't tell me about this.'
'Well they did, it was in their fb page.'
'I don't do Facebook'
'They also sent an email out last week.'
' I don't have time to read emails.'
Etc etc. I can't stand her.

chumbler Thu 04-Feb-16 21:44:19

Bin it

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 04-Feb-16 21:46:53

if she doesn't go to parents evening then I think that tells you all you need to know. There is no excuse for not attending parents evening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now