Talk

Advanced search

DS teacher has apparently told the class...

(47 Posts)
rockiestbottom Thu 04-Feb-16 07:14:38

That the zika virus is not real and made up to hide other bad stuff in the media. confused

Snoopadoop Thu 04-Feb-16 07:15:22

Seriously?! If true, I'd definitely be having words with that teacher.

acasualobserver Thu 04-Feb-16 07:16:06

Age of DS?

rockiestbottom Thu 04-Feb-16 07:18:45

They are 12

NickNacks Thu 04-Feb-16 07:20:00

Why does it matter how old the children are??! hmm

EponasWildDaughter Thu 04-Feb-16 07:20:00

I would be asking for a meeting with the teacher to clarify what's been said.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Thu 04-Feb-16 07:22:01

shockhmm definite clarification required. NickNacks I would guess the age is relevant when considering how much the OP's DS has misunderstood.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 04-Feb-16 07:23:13

It matters how old the child is because a) a four year old's version of events is less reliable b) if the teacher had been coming out with conspiracy theories in a KS1 class that would be really weird. It's more reasonable to talk about world events and politics in the course of a secondary class - just not when that means batshit conspiracy theories.

scaevola Thu 04-Feb-16 07:23:49

It's definitely real!

And the association between the outbreak of the virus and the spike in microcephaly is real too. But yes, there is more work required to establish a causative link beyond doubt; however the weight of evidence means it is being treated as linked with the hope of minimising the increase in the number of families with affected babies.

Could you steer your DC towards the WHO or CDC websites where information (unfiltered by the media) is readily available?

acasualobserver Thu 04-Feb-16 07:23:50

Check that the teacher didn't say something more nuanced like, 'A conspiracy theorist might believe that the zika virus ... ' If the teacher actually turns out to be a conspiracy theorist then complain.

NoahVale Thu 04-Feb-16 07:24:33

what bad stuff did the teacher want to expose?

icklekid Thu 04-Feb-16 07:25:05

Was it in an English lesson or debating type lesson? Get children to think about 2 sides of an argument? I realise I may be clutching at straws however I have told my class an alien spaceship landed in the playground to write newspaper reports. Rather than a formal meeting just say you were intriguedoing after dc made a comment about zika and see what they say?

Mistigri Thu 04-Feb-16 07:32:15

What subject? I'd be more concerned if it were a biology teacher rather than say an English teacher (not that it's very good either way).

DD's class discussed Ebola in geography at the time of the epidemic, and DD complained that her teacher was misinformed about some aspects of disease transmission - but I didn't say anything and neither did she ...

forumdonkey Thu 04-Feb-16 07:36:41

Maybe some of the students were becoming scared and over concerned about it imagining a group of teenage girls, perhaps this topic was disrupting the lesson and it was said to try and regain order and move on with the lesson.

crazycatguy Thu 04-Feb-16 07:37:37

Might be worth just showing your ds an article about it from the BBC website rather than jumping down a teacher's throat.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Thu 04-Feb-16 07:39:12

Could it be that the teacher said that the fact it is a "new" virus is made up - it was actually first identified in 1947, so maybe the teacher said that the big media focus on it now is to hide other bad things happening...

The context also matters of course - yes in English the kids might have been asked to debate whether the current media focus on the Zika virus was a conspiracy to divert public attention from certain other world events... Though 12 seems a bit young for that, that's more a year 10/ 11 topic...

ProfGrammaticus Thu 04-Feb-16 07:40:26

Or maybe one of the kids said it and the teacher replied "maybe, Jack, now get on with your work"? Kids are great at exaggerating stuff.

EponasWildDaughter Thu 04-Feb-16 07:40:30

It's all a guessing game until you actually speak to the teacher and ask.

No one has suggested 'jumping down the teachers throat'' hmm

MrsGradyOldLady Thu 04-Feb-16 07:42:55

I wonder if it's my son's old teacher. His pearls of wisdom included:
Hitler wasn't all bad and he did have a point
Learning difficulties aren't real - anyone with dyslexia doesn't actually have it they're just thick
It's very important to wear a hat everyday even if it's raining otherwise you'll get skin cancer and die

Does your sons teacher wear a hat?

Prettyinblue Thu 04-Feb-16 07:45:17

I've had a few FB 'friends' twats, passing round something about it being linked to vaccines. 'Apparently' Wakefield knows all about it.

rockiestbottom Thu 04-Feb-16 07:50:08

Just asked Ds to clarify.
They were talking about the virus with teacher who is a science teacher. Teacher apparently then said it was a made up story anyway to cover up bad press.

PurpleDaisies Thu 04-Feb-16 07:52:27

That very much sounds like a precursor for a lesson on bad science to get them thinking about evidence. If your son's interest has been piqued it worked.

Of course, she might be a conspiracy theorist weirdo.

zzzzz Thu 04-Feb-16 07:53:07

Perhaps what was said was that stories of on going issues (eg virus spread) are a good way of deflecting focus away from other issues?

So long as it's balanced with "of course the issue getting all the attending may be getting it for a good reason", I think it's a good thing to be aware of.

shock at dyslexia and learning difficulties meaning you are "thick"....what a dinosaur.

rockiestbottom Thu 04-Feb-16 07:54:35

I'm not jumping down a teachers throat. I'm posting asking whether I should speak to the teacher. I'm an ex HLTA so no teacher bashing here.

They have a 'in the news ' discussion once a week. It came up in that.

Highsteaks Thu 04-Feb-16 07:55:41

I wonder if it's my son's old teacher. His pearls of wisdom included:
Hitler wasn't all bad and he did have a point
Learning difficulties aren't real - anyone with dyslexia doesn't actually have it they're just thick
It's very important to wear a hat everyday even if it's raining otherwise you'll get skin cancer and die

Really? A teacher said all of those things to their students? And when asked to clarify freely admitted saying those things and standing by them?

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now