Talk

Advanced search

To be upset with this practitioner

(34 Posts)
Thingiebob Wed 03-Feb-16 22:49:08

This probably isn't an AIBU really.
Just looking for help and advice. I have come up against a local alternative practitioner who is touting for business on a local FB page implying she can treat autoimmune disorders. I asked questions and she became really defensive. I know I should step away, but as a life-long sufferer of an autoimmune disorder who lives this shit day in and day out, it really upsets me to see someone make these claims with no medical background.
I think I am taking it personally but I don't understand how she can do this and locally people support her.

I think I need some perspective. AIBU to be so furious with this stuff.

stitch10yearson Wed 03-Feb-16 22:53:10

I dont think you so. But. Alternative medicine exists because it does help some people, not necessarily for the reasons the practitioners think it does. I think that as long as what she is advocating isnt downright harmful, then its ok and you need to take a step back. But if she is telling people she can cure diabetes by waving a chakra in their face and they should stop taking their insulin, then go for it.

Sixweekstowait Wed 03-Feb-16 23:11:47

What 'alternative' is it?

Thingiebob Wed 03-Feb-16 23:24:24

Bodytalk?

milkysmum Wed 03-Feb-16 23:31:03

I had never heard of it but just googled it out of interest- sounds like utter rubbish if I'm honest so no I don't think you are being unreasonable!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 03-Feb-16 23:33:58

Yanbu - not surprised she became defensive, it's bollocks!

gobbin Wed 03-Feb-16 23:38:35

the body's own, amazing ability to heal and repair itself from their website.

Yeah, tell my Crohns-riddled gut that it should be repairing itself, not chewing itself to bits...

Thingiebob Wed 03-Feb-16 23:46:10

This is exactly how I feel Alis and Gobbin.

I am usually quite laid-back about alternative therapies and complimentary therapy but this makes me furious.

FWIW I have an auto-immune disease and part of the treatment requires some chemotherapy.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 03-Feb-16 23:58:54

I got blocked by someone on my Facebook for daring to point out that Juice Plus (which she was peddling) cannot cure Crohn's Disease or IBS as she claimed.

Complete fucking idiot too stupid to see that she might not know quite as much as medical professionals who very much don't advocate stupid juice only diets.

tinofbiscuits Thu 04-Feb-16 00:46:09

YANBU. If the body always "repaired itself" with no medical treatment I'm sure we'd know by now.

AntiHop Thu 04-Feb-16 01:10:30

Yanbu. She's taking advantage of people desperate for answers.

Thingiebob Thu 04-Feb-16 01:17:06

Thanks
I feel so frustrated and angry at her arrogance and insistence that she
can advise me to drop my complicated medications and cure me

hollinhurst84 Thu 04-Feb-16 01:22:07

Heard it all, I'm with you. I'm sure giving up gluten/using juice plus/herbalife will stop my body producing anti neutrophil antibodies. Perhaps the consultant might have told me instead of giving me bone marrow stimulant jabs hmmconfused

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 04-Feb-16 01:27:54

YANBU I have a couple of friends and family members with different chronic conditions and they (and I) get soooo feb up with Juice Plus, Herbalife and so on claiming they can cure these conditions that years of medical science can not. Yes a healthy diet can help but it's not going to cure a brain tumour or MS.

kali110 Thu 04-Feb-16 01:30:07

Yanbu. I have an autoimmune disorder. If i stopped taking my blood thinners i'd die.
I have been told though on various sites if i simply changed my diet, ate these spices etc that i would cured, yes my blood would no longer produce these antibodies hmm
Fucking joke these people should not be allowed to spread this bollocks.

kali110 Thu 04-Feb-16 01:31:34

They'd also cure chronic pain. Some friends tried it, they were left in worse pain because obviously it was a croc of shit.

Atenco Thu 04-Feb-16 01:51:07

Unfortunately there are some brilliant alternative therapists and treatments and then you get these snake-oil salesmen, taking advantage. Such a disgusting thing to do to prey on the sick.

Thingiebob Thu 04-Feb-16 01:55:48

She really believe it. I am the bad guy because I pulled her up on it

Broken1Girl Thu 04-Feb-16 02:06:41

O gods, the woo.
My toxic DM is into this sort of thing, and lectures me on how I can cure my various autoimmune issues by myself One of the many reasons I am LC.
There's nothing wrong with things that help people manage chronic illnesses; relaxation, eating more healthily etc, bring it on. When it gets to the implications alternative therapies can cure these issues and the insidious blame that it's your own fault if you don't do them and aren't cured, that's where I have a problem.

Broken1Girl Thu 04-Feb-16 02:08:43

I'd die if I stopped taking my thyroxine. You can help the thyroid with diet but you cannot magically cure it - I have seen people told not to take thyroxine :-/

Thingiebob Thu 04-Feb-16 02:40:52

Thank you all

CrazyDuchess Thu 04-Feb-16 02:44:15

Haha I suffer from a chronic auto immune system which is being treated by a cocktail of powerful drugs
" oh but Duchess is you lost a bit of weight"
"OH but Duchess is did more exercise and strengthen your muscles"
**n.b. my disease attacks my muscles
"OH but Duchess if you did x when the sun is in Y and turned 3 times at a full moon you will be CURED"

OH.FUCK.RIGHT.OFF

ICJump Thu 04-Feb-16 03:03:45

It makes me so cross. Fucking snake oil bollocks.
I'm pretty damn hippy too but still have a high bullshit meter. Eating well, moving your body are good but they aren't going to fix auto immune diseases. Nether is that bollocks homeopathy sugar pills.

HaveUpsetHer Thu 04-Feb-16 03:14:27

According to one of my colleagues, if I pray hard enough my son will be curedbof his autism. ....

Ericaequites Thu 04-Feb-16 03:57:57

The worse thing about such treatments is that people will avoid competent medical care. Moreover, these cures can be expensive and harmful. My sister has MS, and I have Aspergers. No amount of woo will help us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now