Talk

Advanced search

To think it can't be that hard to drive a boat?

(199 Posts)
CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:00:32

I've never really driven a boat, but I was a sea cadet, and I've done a bit of canoeing.

And today I bought a boat. A little (ish) cabin cruiser. With money my parents have given me, on the condition I take them out in it occasionally. (It was pretty cheap in boat terms)

Dh thinks I've finally lost the plot, and that I will inevitably sink it on my first outing. hmm

Aibu to think it can't be THAT bloody difficult, given that hundreds of thousands of people manage it perfectly well?

witsender Wed 03-Feb-16 20:03:28

Where are you planning on using it? Sea or lake? I really would do some basic training through the RYA and learn basic safety drills like VHF, sea survival etc. I think these things should be mandatory tbh, like a driving license, the RNLI have enough on their plate.

wasonthelist Wed 03-Feb-16 20:04:56

Chugging up and down canals is fairly straightforward, and they aren't too deep. You can sink a boat in a deeper lock, but you have to try hard.

wasonthelist Wed 03-Feb-16 20:06:36

If on sea or any sizable lake or loch, agree with wits above

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:07:02

I'm taking it up one of the quietest rivers possible. Non tidal, just a few locks. I work in a Marina so intend to ask around for someone to teach me the basics.

I could do a powerboat level 2 course, but they take place on a Rib, which will have little bearing on a 25ft cabin cruiser.

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:08:04

I've canoed this particular river. You can stand up in most of it!

VoyageOfDad Wed 03-Feb-16 20:08:37

I don't think driving is the right term skipper.

It all depends on how well you can shout stuff like ' lower the main sail you lilly livered land lubbers ' to your parents...

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:09:53

I'm scouring EBay for one if those fake captains hats as we speak! grin

Lweji Wed 03-Feb-16 20:10:49

I'm having visions of an episode of Keeping Up Appearances...

I'd learn how to first.

Lweji Wed 03-Feb-16 20:11:20

Oh, forgot

Arrrgh

Boleh Wed 03-Feb-16 20:11:56

The RYA 2 will teach you all sorts of useful stuff applicable to various types of boat, the basics of reading charts and navigation, what the lights on bouys and boats mean, the 'rules of the road' and how to deal with a 'man overboard' - might be worth considering still although some will be more applicable to the sea than a small river.

Smurfingreat Wed 03-Feb-16 20:12:11

The UK is one of the few countries in the world where you can just take out a boat without some sort of training. The only way that this situation has continued is that most people are responsible and take some form of training voluntarily. The level of training appropriate entirely depends on where you are planning to use the boat, as mentioned canals are fairly simple, the tidal waters around the UK can be incredibly dangerous. There are also rules of the road that need to be learnt ( which side you pass people, who had right of way, etc), basic boat maintenance and VHF training are also basics everyone should know. The answer is, yes it can be that hard and most of the people out on the water have a real passion for it and have done plenty of research and training.

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:12:45

It'll be fun! How hard can it be? wink

IMurderedStampyLongnose Wed 03-Feb-16 20:13:27

Weird I was just thinking I should buy a boat!how exciting.I reckon it'll be easy to drive/steer it too.Congrats OP😀

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:15:33

I was a Sea Cadet!

I know the rules of the road, how to use VHF mayday mayday CatthiefKeith is sinking my port from my starboard etcetera etcetera.

I've been on boats, loads of them. I'm sure it will all be fine! grin

ginghamcricketbox Wed 03-Feb-16 20:18:13

As someone once said.

AnthonyBlanche Wed 03-Feb-16 20:20:19

As long as you don't go out to sea I'm sure you'll be fine! I don't think too much skill is needed for pottering up and down a river.

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:22:36

Thank you! I'm sure it will all be fine. What could possibly go wrong? smile

gabsdot45 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:27:33

Well first of all I'm sure you don't drive a boat you sail a boat,

TheSkiingGardener Wed 03-Feb-16 20:31:36

Before they let you out in France on a hired one they take you through the basics. Takes between 5 minutes and an hour depending if you know your port from your starboard or not.

Get a navigation guide and someone who knows boats to take you out. Any doubt and go do a course but a shallow river with small locks is a different proposition to a tidal shipping channel,

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:32:07

But it hasn't got sails. It's a cabin cruiser.

I might name change to Captain CatThiefKeith.

And wear my new hat at all times.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 03-Feb-16 20:32:28

The only thing I've seen go wrong is when someone tried to sail a hired boat up the remains of an old wier.

They were well and truly stuck and ignoring everyone. Help was on its way...

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 20:33:46

I'm not crossing the channel, even I have more sense that to attempt that! grin

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 03-Feb-16 21:12:32

Get someone in the marina to take you through the basics. Your biggest problem will likely be fecking tourists in rowing boats who struggle with straight lines.

CatThiefKeith Wed 03-Feb-16 21:20:59

Not many tourists in this part of the world. Does anyone want to see a picture?

trying desperately hard to contain my excitement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now