Talk

Advanced search

To think we're doomed. Doomed, I tell you.

(13 Posts)
WhoIsRonniePickering Wed 03-Feb-16 18:37:02

Is this the end of the world?

Nature is constantly re-inventing ways to kill us off: Aids, Ebola, now the Zika virus. Let's not even both with Daesh/ISIS and the N Korea/Japan stand off. Trump as President? Far Right movements springing up all over Europe. Syria is totally screwed.

This is going to end badly. What can we do?

MayhemandMadness Wed 03-Feb-16 18:38:53

Don a tin hat and pack your OFRS.

CaptainCrunch Wed 03-Feb-16 18:39:07

Oh, go away.

WhoIsRonniePickering Wed 03-Feb-16 18:39:38

What's an OFRS?

PerspicaciaTick Wed 03-Feb-16 18:39:48

Are you channeling Private Frazer?

JennyOnAPlate Wed 03-Feb-16 18:39:58

Oh fuck rucksack

scatteroflight Wed 03-Feb-16 18:42:52

Yes, because the immediate problem in Europe are far right movements rather than the issue which they're reacting to.

In fact in your whole post you don't mention the very issue that is the most threatening to the peace and happiness of the world.

WhoIsRonniePickering Wed 03-Feb-16 18:43:19

Packing a rucksack is fine, but where do I hike to? Captaincrunch I think that was a bit mean of you.

WhoIsRonniePickering Wed 03-Feb-16 18:45:19

What issue is that? I've mentioned the far right and Syria ...

BillSykesDog Wed 03-Feb-16 18:56:41

How many people have the far right murdered/kidnapped/tortured raped in the last few years? And no, one Anders Brevik does not a summer make.

Here's your elephant, I take it you have a very small room to put it in.

WaitingForMe Wed 03-Feb-16 19:02:30

My mum and dad wondered how the Cold War would end. My grandparents wondered whether rationing would ever end. I'm sure our kids will have something to worry about but they'll be going to work, raising families and all the rest whilst they worry.

BreakfastAtStephanies Wed 03-Feb-16 19:41:47

YANBU. We are almost certainly doomed. I think about this stuff most days, and was mulling over the Zika virus while driving to work this morning. As a teenager I was scared of global thermonuclear war annihilating us. Life, society and civilisation seems to hang by a thin thread; this is very distracting sometimes.

Sooner or later it will all go tits up.

In the meantime, we are supposed to go about normal work, routine, family stuff etc. Nothing you can do about most of it anyway.

So I must go and get tea on.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 03-Feb-16 19:48:26

Did anyone listen to R4 the other day with Stephen Hawkin? Someone asked him if Planet Earth would be destroyed naturally, or whether man would destroy it. His answer - if I remember correctly and I cant really grin - was that Earth has a finite life; but man would colonise other planets. Therefore, Earth will no longer exist but mankind will shock. Mind boggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now