Talk

Advanced search

I know I am but ffs- Little Mix

(102 Posts)
sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 03-Feb-16 10:53:14

Their new song with that twatbag Jason 'Da Ruler'.
About shagging a tosser behind their current fellas back. Nice.
Just what we should be glamourising for youngsters.
I know the answer will be yes/get a grip/odfod/its not real/its just a song/YABU to listen to Little Mix at all but AIBU to be disapointed that a group who influence youngsters and are usually renowned for their take no crap and never be second best attitude have made such a song?

gaggiagirl Wed 03-Feb-16 10:56:42

Can you link to or paste the lyrics?
With any luck people wont register what the song is about.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 03-Feb-16 11:00:32

I did a session with some kids once looking at a one direction song. (The video has them all at a house party, having a great time.) We watched it, they sang along, then told me what it was about. "Having fun with your mates, parties, good times" etc, they said. Then we read the lyrics. They were horrified that it's actually about sneaking out the house for a shag.

Shocked me that they knew the words, but had no idea what the song was actually about until they read the lyrics like a poem.

MissingLynx Wed 03-Feb-16 11:03:53

Little Mix - Secret Love Song ft. Jason Derulo (…: youtu.be/AK0XhP1UMFw

comedycentral Wed 03-Feb-16 11:04:26

I agree that kids don't always think about the lyrics. Actually most songs from my youth I didn't really know the lyrics to and I sung my own versions! I still think my versions of certain songs are the way that they actually go.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 03-Feb-16 11:05:00

lyrics here
sorry cant c&p as my stupid left hand button is broked

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 03-Feb-16 11:05:57

I just think im turning into a really old person.
BUT I fucking HATE Jason Derulo

MissingLynx Wed 03-Feb-16 11:13:35

Sharon- i agree, i dont like jason derulo either, tbh i dont really like any of the chart songs, i prefer the oldies smile

MackerelOfFact Wed 03-Feb-16 11:13:45

Well, it is just a song, as you say. I loved Agadoo as a child but I seem to resist the urge to knock all the pineapples on the floor every time I go into Tesco.

I don't think children really listen to the lyrics that closely - and if they are old enough to understand them, they should be old enough to able to critique them and appreciate that they're telling a story rather than giving life advice, just as they might with a book, a movie, a TV programme or anything.

HappyHeart87 Wed 03-Feb-16 11:17:45

I had a job a few years ago working with teenagers. I had a long drive one day with a 13yo boy, who put 'Lollypop' on repeat on the sound system via his phone, and sang along with abandon, occasionally flashing me a lovely, innocent, happy smile.

It basically goes "you wanna lick my L L L L L L L L lollypop" ad nauseum. I'm 100% sure he thought it was about sharing a sweetie.

MistressDeeCee Wed 03-Feb-16 11:19:53

Little Mix just try too hard. Yes the song lyrics are dire. I do think children don't really take in the lyrics thankfully, but its just a real shame these songs are aimed at a really young age group now. Also hate the message to teen girls ie you are the sum total of your sexuality & that is what defines you. There's always been pressure on young girls re. that and at the risk of sounding old fashioned I preferred the days when it wasn't so relentless & "in your face", it promotes insecurity amongst girls and does the job for dumb boys who want and expect sex on tap, the overall message that girls who don't do it are way behind the times. Awful.

BadlyBehavedShoppingTrolley Wed 03-Feb-16 11:22:55

I'm not sure I even know who Jason Derulo is, but I HATE the fact that he gets name checked, or name checks himself at the beginning of all the songs he features in. It makes me wAnt to slap his stupid face, whoever he is.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 03-Feb-16 11:23:06

Well, it is just a song, as you say. I loved Agadoo as a child but I seem to resist the urge to knock all the pineapples on the floor every time I go into Tesco.

gringrin

BuzzardBird Wed 03-Feb-16 11:23:24

I loved, as a child "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille", I heard it yesterday and realized that he is not singing "400 children and a crop in the fields".

I don't think kids think the lyrics through, even though they know the words.

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Wed 03-Feb-16 11:24:28

sorry i can't see where it mentions cheating.. it mentions a secret love that they can't be open about.. its not an unusual thing for people in the public eye to keep things private.

there is absoltely no mention of either 'people' in the song having other lovers.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 03-Feb-16 11:25:13

My mother says that she and my father were utterly horrified when at the age of 7 I demanded "Like A Virgin" on tape for my birthday.

I had NO idea what a virgin was except that I thought it might be something to do with Jesus.

I wouldn't worry about Little Mix - I shouldn't think your kids will notice the lyrics at all but it is a godawful song so YAN really BU

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 03-Feb-16 11:26:58

Spice Girls: 2 become 1. Belted it out as a kid, I've turned out ok.

Lj8893 Wed 03-Feb-16 11:27:35

I quite like that song and sing along to it when it's playing on the radio when I'm driving.....:.i hadn't even registered what the lyrics were about and I'm still unsure that they are about cheating?!

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Wed 03-Feb-16 11:27:48

ah, nm, those printed lyrics dont have jasons bits in... i will just scoot, lmao.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 03-Feb-16 11:28:40

YABU to some extent because an awful lot of people pay little attention to the meaning of the lyrics, even if they know them all!

Some songs in retrospect are truly awful - but you don't realise when you're belting them out at full whack and dancing or whatever to them. You just don't think. That's why some people have "Every Breath You Take" by the Police as their wedding dance song because it sounds so lovely and romantic until you work out what he's actually on about! (Stalker)

But I do know what you mean. I'm still v. angry that Robin Thicke produced such a catchy tune to his bollocks song. angry

SoupDragon Wed 03-Feb-16 11:29:44

sorry i can't see where it mentions cheating..

Me neither. Just a secret relationship.

It might be about cheating, it might not. Eg many celebrities deny relationships before actually coming clean and admitting them.

JolseBaby Wed 03-Feb-16 11:30:06

YANBU for the sole reason that Jason Derulo is a twat. I hate his stupid falsetto pubes-trapped-in-the-zipper voice.

wigglesrock Wed 03-Feb-16 11:30:34

Yup, my sister regaled the extended family one Christmas with her version of Like a Virgin she was 36 grin. I was also for my sins brought up with the music of Dr Hook - "when your body's had enough of me ....... I'm gonna love you a little bit more", "Sexy eyes" - again my sister's favourite, performed with my mums scarves!! 24 hours from Tulsa from my nana's favourite Gene Pitney - not a paragon of virtue in those lyrics.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Wed 03-Feb-16 11:33:04

grin grin

I love that comment too grin

But... some kids do listen to lyrics. My kids do - it could be because they are bilingual and language is different for them, they have been somewhat conditioned to pay attention to words... I don't honestly know - They do mishear them too and think their version is right, but are very prone to questioning what songs mean - in fact all 3 of them have gone through awkward phases of being quite obsessive about knowing what songs mean, and why the singer said XYZ because that is mean/ rude etc.

I am not bilingual and also listen a lot to lyrics as a teen, but was not even allowed to listen to chart music as a very young child/ at primary so I can't really gauge properly when I started to do so - am also a tone deaf English lit grad so maybe just predisposed to pay too much attention to words and think of songs as poems!

NinaSimoneful Wed 03-Feb-16 11:35:00

I like Little Mix. But I haven't heard this song yet so I'll have to reserve judgement on the specifics on the lyrics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now