Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone's fallen pregnant while bf'ing before getting their period back?

(79 Posts)
SashaFierce99 Tue 02-Feb-16 21:48:34

It's got to be pretty unlikely, right?

DP and I DTD on Thursday for the first time in months. Our baby has dropped feeds until bedtime and during the night only remain and I haven't yet had a period. Last week I felt crampy and thought it might be due but nothing has occurred. Now since DTD I feel crampy on and off, have lower back pain and (sorry for TMI) lots of snot like cervical mucus. All of which have been the first signs of pregnancy for me with previous DC.

I just feel 'full' in my tummy; I can't explain it. Surely pregnancy is highly unlikely in these circumstances? Has anyone here fallen pregnant before their period returned?

Forgetmenotblue Tue 02-Feb-16 21:50:37

Yes.

ThisWasCrownjewel Tue 02-Feb-16 21:51:49

Unlikely, yes, but it happened to me... Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Like you, my DS dropped a feed and I mistakenly thought I'd still be covered - apparently you produce less of the hormone that stops you ovulating, when the baby drops a feed or starts to wean onto solids. I'd wait a week then POAS I think.

Forgetmenotblue Tue 02-Feb-16 21:52:04

Had no idea I was pregnant til it turned out to be ectopic. Thought it was appendicitis and toddled off to A and E to have them tell me I was pregnant. I couldn't believe it.

ClashCityRocker Tue 02-Feb-16 21:53:04

My sil did.

ratspeaker Tue 02-Feb-16 21:54:00

Raises hand
Our surprise (but wonderful) no 4

BlueRaptor Tue 02-Feb-16 21:54:26

Not me, but one of the children I used to look afters Mum did. Barely a year between the the two children's birthday as Mum had no idea she could get pregnant, surprise!

RandomMess Tue 02-Feb-16 21:56:08

My periods turned whilst still fully breast feeding when dd was a few months old!

Absolutely possible.

silverfingersandtoes Tue 02-Feb-16 21:56:43

Yes. DC1 was 3/4 months and ebf.

Alrighty Tue 02-Feb-16 21:58:09

Yes!but DD was already 13/14 months old.

allthingsred Tue 02-Feb-16 21:59:38

Yes. My dd2 was 2 months & ebf when I went to have the coil fitted & found out I was pregnant with my dc3
A very unexpected ( bit happy) surprise x

Forgetmenotblue Tue 02-Feb-16 22:01:04

Afterwards my GP said that the ebf thing as a contraceptive is a complete myth for all practical purposes. Something to do with the body weight and health of women now (better) so likely to stay fertile despite BF. BF might have been effective for early 20th century women and before, but not now. Don't know if that's true or not but my GP wasn't in the least surprised I'd got pregnant , suggesting she saw that happen a lot.

Hippee Tue 02-Feb-16 22:03:20

Yes - I did. Made it tricky for the midwife when she asked for the date of my last period and it was 17 months before.

passthewineplz Tue 02-Feb-16 22:05:41

It is possible to become pregnant whilst BF. Missing a feed, introducing formula and when the baby reaches 6 months can tigger ovulation.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/natural-family-planning.aspx

SashaFierce99 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:08:44

With the others my periods didn't return until they were around 20 months even though they had dropped to only night feeds by now (13 months) so I guess my guard was down. I will be bloody shocked if I am. We did it one time in months! DP will think he's amazing grin

TheABC Tue 02-Feb-16 22:08:51

Yep. Just one light "period" before I got pregnant again. However, DS was over two and it was the occasional feed rather than round - the - clock meals. I have been told that the LAM method of contraception only really works with ebf babies under 6 months - and even then I would rather back it up with condoms as just dropping one feed can be enough. I would strongly suggest getting a pregnancy test for your peace of mind.

RattusRattus Tue 02-Feb-16 22:09:16

Yes. DD1 was 5 months old and ebf. No period at all. First thing that suggested to me I might be PG was when I threw up randomly one morning without feeling ill. I was 6 weeks gone with DD2. Luckily we had just decided to TTC so we were well chuffed!

SashaFierce99 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:10:26

I fell pregnant with my youngest dd while I was still breastfeeding but had my period back first.

987flowers Tue 02-Feb-16 22:21:39

Of course it is which is why contraception is discussed at the 6 week check and all literature is clear breastfeeding is not contraception!

SashaFierce99 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:22:58

I know it is possible 987; I just presumed it was very rare for it to happen before periods resume.

UterusUterusGhali Tue 02-Feb-16 22:24:13

Yeah.
BFing and using the diaphragm here. hmm

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-Feb-16 22:26:17

Yes. That's why there's only 16 months between DC1 & DC2.

987flowers Tue 02-Feb-16 22:32:42

Sorry am tired, my reply is a bit terse!

I would imagine that you would be less likely to get pregnant as it is nature's way of allowing your body to have a break before getting pregnant again it just doesn't always work well for eceryone. I remember it being drummed into us at NCT classes and by the midwives and health visitors.

Jollyphonics Tue 02-Feb-16 22:39:34

In the menstrual cycle you ovulate 2 weeks before your period. So, by the time your first period returns, you've already ovulated once. If you have sex then, you can get pregnant.

Poppyred85 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:42:55

Yes you can. Lactational amenorrhea (to use the medical term) is actually a reasonable method of contraception- similar rate to diaphragms- but you have to be feeding roughly every couple of hours, 24/7 for it to be that effective. I would think it was quite early to be showing symptoms but worth a pregnancy test if they carry on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now