Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to arrive on time

(31 Posts)
Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:25:30

Recently started a new job and generally get in at around 8:20 because nursery doesn't open until 8. We should all be on site by 8:40.

Surely it isn't unreasonable to get in twenty minutes early? I have had a few comments now and am starting to feel a bit pecked about it.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 17:27:37

I can't see a problem. Why are people being snarky about it?

MaxPepsi Tue 02-Feb-16 17:28:42

Is it because they think you are trying to point score and brown nose?

20 mins before start time is perfectly acceptable. I aim for a minimum of 10 so I can switch on my computer, get my drink, exchange pleasantries and do the other faff that seems to take up so much time.

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:32:17

Point score and brown nose?

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:32:50

Oh I see - no, the comments are about my 'lateness'

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 17:33:56

I'm a bit confused-what time does everyone else arrive?

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:35:24

I don't know, very early I suppose.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 02-Feb-16 17:35:56

Pffft they would hate me
I start at 9 and come in at 8:58.

Frusso Tue 02-Feb-16 17:36:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 17:37:21

Oh, I get it now. Your op reads like you're getting comments for going in too early when actually it's the opposite. If anyone says anything I'd just politely state that your manager is happy with your punctuality and leave it at that.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 02-Feb-16 17:38:07

Im confused about this. Your timings make no sense. What time does your shift start and what time do you arrive.

CrohnicallyAspie Tue 02-Feb-16 17:39:13

Let me guess- school based job?

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:41:20

Yeah, it's done quite passive aggressively though so it's hard to respond! It is indeed a school!

januarybrown1998 Tue 02-Feb-16 17:42:26

flowers you're never going to please everyone.

You're a working mother. Give yourself a break, you're arriving at work and performing for gods sake.

I think channelling Penelope Keith and thundering 'is something wrong' if anyone comments is a start.

theycallmemellojello Tue 02-Feb-16 17:44:27

I think that if it's people on your level, ignore it. If it's management people, I think I'd discuss it with whoever your manager is, just to make clear that you're doing your job and are not actually coming in late (ie to protect yourself). But I'm sure it's just people being snarky rather than something that would come up in a performance review. Annoying though.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 17:46:35

Just try and ignore it. As long as you're I for staff briefing and everything that needs sorting before the kids arrive is done, I don't think you should have any problem. You could chat to your head of department if you're worried.

GloGirl Tue 02-Feb-16 17:47:07

I understand their point of view in a tiny tiny way but I'd be fucked if anyone expected me to tit about for 20 minutes just so I wasn't showing anyone else up. confused

Frusso Tue 02-Feb-16 17:49:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 17:52:11

It's not your fault they like to be super early and have a cup of coffee and gossip.

I think to be fair it is the norm in schools to get in before 8pm but as long as the op is still getting everything sorted I don't think there should be an issue, and the head of department should be dealing with it if there is a problem-not passive aggressive colleagues.

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 18:10:06

I'd have to pay more to the nursery to get them in any earlier and then there's always congestion around the school.

toffeeboffin Tue 02-Feb-16 18:12:14

This is ridiculous.

If I'm in at 8.29am, I'm early. (start at 8:30am)

Your colleagues sound paranoid.

Just smile serenely and waltz in, unfazed.

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 18:13:26

Mostly I do toffee, but it does grate a bit even though I outwardly don't seem fazed by it.

Caboodle Tue 02-Feb-16 18:39:21

If you are a teacher you are not contracted to start before reg/lessons (unless an academy) but it may be the 'norm' to be early. Are you dashing in / looking poorly organised as this isn't a great example to set tbh. However, the job is salaried and so as long as done well hours outside pupil contact hours / meetings / P Eve etc are your own afaik. Other school staff would have contracted hours so should be able to turn up 1 min before start time if they wish.

Dreamonastar Tue 02-Feb-16 18:49:21

I don't think I look poorly organised. I do arrive before students after all!

redexpat Tue 02-Feb-16 18:49:58

I hate smug morning people. So you get up early, what do you want, a medal? If they are doing their prep then, presumably youre doing it at another point during the day. Or maybe youre working smarter and the smug fools are working harder. Joke is on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now