To worry about my brother being welcomed back in to the family

(6 Posts)
MissingLynx Mon 01-Feb-16 20:51:37

My brother put me througph some horrific abuse when i was a child, i kept it from my family for 16 year until i finally went to the police, he got aressted and jailed. There was a bit of a mixed reaction from my family at first with some believing me and others thinking id made the whole thing up but in the end majority of them realised i was telling the truth. The thing is, he gets out of jail in april and im worried that he might try and rejoin the family, i understand that they are all adults and its there decision but i dont think i could speak to them again if they welcomed him back.

ImperialBlether Mon 01-Feb-16 20:53:02

Awful situation for you. Did he admit to it in court?

MissingLynx Mon 01-Feb-16 21:02:26

No he's never addmited it, he says he can't remember but there was another person involved and he admitted it and also give evidence against my brother.

VoldysGoneMouldy Mon 01-Feb-16 21:04:57

How are your family in relation to things now? What have they said about his upcoming release?

TitClash Mon 01-Feb-16 21:07:39

I've been in the same boat as you and can only speak from my own experience.
Its healthier for you not to have any more contact with the abusive people, and anyone who sheltered them in the past or maintains a relationship with them.
So if anyone decides to welcome him back it would be better to break contact with them as well. It just doenst work out in your favour, ever.

This is a huge problem for abuse survivors - we can be seen as the cause of the family breaking up.
However, you may be worrying too much about something that isn't going to happen.
Can you try to take it as it comes? flowers

MissingLynx Mon 01-Feb-16 21:32:01

Things are good within the family and we very rarely speak about him. The thing about him is he has special needs and being the sort of person he is, he may just turn up thinking he's dond nothing wrong.

Clash- im sorry you had to go through it too flowers i have servere anxiety and depression due to the experience and i wish i could stop worring but the situation is begining to take over my life, i just feel lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now