Advanced search

to ask you all a question about national insurance for SAHM's

(21 Posts)
ItsAllAboutTheCakes Mon 01-Feb-16 13:16:35

Do I have to still pay national insurance if I receive child benefit? If so how do I go about it and if not do I have to do anything or will it automatically be paid?
Just worried that I won't get my full pension (obviously a far way off) because I've not paid my contributions.

scandichick Mon 01-Feb-16 13:18:56

Sorry, don't have any answers but you're wise to look into it now. My MIL is approaching pension age, and this is a serious concern for her.

HungryHorace Mon 01-Feb-16 13:19:32

You get an NI 'stamp' until your youngest child turns 12 (I think) if you're getting child benefit paid to you. This ensures you aren't disadvantaged re your pension.

TeaT1me Mon 01-Feb-16 13:19:38

Im curious too. I thought it was linked to cb but only up to a certain age.

I suspect there won't be a pension by the time I'm old (I'm screwed).

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Mon 01-Feb-16 13:20:28

It depends on the age of your children. Your NI contributions are covered if you receive CB until the youngest child is 12.

Akire Mon 01-Feb-16 13:22:52

I looked this up the other day. It's now child benefit stamp until youngest is 12. Used to be 16- after that you can buy stamp currently £4.44 a week third class contributions. You can buy back any missing for past 6y.

It's really something should advertise more given many SAHP will not have own private pension and easy miss this until to late. Even finding last 6y is £7700 so not lose change down back of sofa.

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Mon 01-Feb-16 13:23:26

Thanks everyone, my dc's are 6 and 2 and I'm planning to return to work in a couple of years. That's a relief then hopefully my contributions will be ok.
Scandichick it is awful that women could lose out on pension for looking after their children which years ago a lot of women did more often.

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Mon 01-Feb-16 13:25:52

Thanks for the link chazs it was very useful.

katienana Mon 01-Feb-16 13:26:50

My mum has been SAHM 1978- onwards my youngest brother turned 12 in 1998. She has bought some years and also claimed some recently as she provided childcare to allow my sister and I to work.

scandichick Mon 01-Feb-16 13:52:50

Indeed, I'd recommend any SAHP to have a private pension, and put at least as much into it as the working partner does into theirs.

Bit easier said than done in the real world, unfortunately.

Missdread Mon 01-Feb-16 14:01:44

What happens if you don't receive child benefit anymore because your DH is over the income threshold? Does anyone know?!

dementedpixie Mon 01-Feb-16 14:03:39

You still apply for child benefit but opt out of the payment.

dementedpixie Mon 01-Feb-16 14:05:27

From .gov website:

You can choose not to get Child Benefit payments, but you should still fill in the Child Benefit claim form. This will help you get National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension.

SpanielPlusToddler Mon 01-Feb-16 14:05:56

If your DH is over the threshold then you still need to register for child benefit, but you tick the box to say that you don't wish to receive the money. Then you still get NI credits, but no money and no need to do a tax return. That's what we did.

Missdread Mon 01-Feb-16 14:06:35

Thanks all, I didn't realise I had to do that! Will look into it :-)

Akire Mon 01-Feb-16 14:08:16

You claim it then pay some/all of it back under the "high income benefit tax charge"

dementedpixie Mon 01-Feb-16 14:12:32

You don't have to get the money to get the NI credits, just need to apply and opt out of payment

iwantanewcar Mon 01-Feb-16 14:13:56

the class III contributions gained from claiming child benefit for a child less than 12 only go towards state pension, no other benefits. Re: pension anyone can pay towards a stakeholder pension and pay in up to £3600 gross (actual contribution £2880) even if you have no earnings. I truly think all families with working parents and a SAHP (D or M) should set one up for the SAHP. You don't have to contribute the maximum.

IvyWall Mon 01-Feb-16 14:14:17

Voluntary contributions are actually £14.10 a week for the current tax year

See here, item 4

FankEweVeryMuch Mon 01-Feb-16 14:17:18

My husband earns above the threshold so we have registered for CB but opt out of receiving the payments, that way my NI is covered and I don't have to worry about doing a tax return.

Akire Mon 01-Feb-16 14:18:39

Thanks ivywall not sure where I got my figure from! Thought it looked cheap

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: