To be a bit nervous about doing this??

(10 Posts)
YouCanCallMeAlice Mon 01-Feb-16 11:17:42

So I've recently started Skype tuition with a languages tutor. We haven't meet in real life (live too far away) but he has suggested it, I have every reason to think he's legitimate (he has own website, is traceable, has offered to send me a scan of his passport etc. etc.)

Anyway, we are having four hours of lessons (had two hours so far) before he invoices me for a set of ten. So, I'll have had four hours in advance and then will be paying in advance for another six.

The lessons are £30 each so fairly pricey.

I don't mind the money aspect so much as it's urgent I do this, but anyone else know how to minimise the risk of something going wrong?

I will pay via bank transfer and ask for an invoice so it is all traceable. But I live in fear of the lessons getting bad (even though I have no reason to believe he's a crook!!) or him just running off with the money...

Barmaid101 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:26:18

Do not bank transfer! Pay using PayPal as then your money is protected. An invoice will not protect you if you do not get all your lessons!

19lottie82 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:28:26

A lot of people wouldn't let you pay with PayPal in the situation. It leaves the "seller" wide open to being scammed when there isn't a physical item being delivered.

19lottie82 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:28:57

Can you not pay on a lesson by lesson basis?

BastardGoDarkly Mon 01-Feb-16 12:31:22

I'd be happier paying a lesson in advance, not six, would he go for that?

MariposaVolando Mon 01-Feb-16 12:45:12

I'd be happy to pay on a lesson by lesson basis but he said he usually charges in blocks of ten as he needs to know I'll be continuing. In fairness to him, I'm having four hours a week so I'll know soon enough whether or not he's sticking to his part of the agreement.

He's asked me to pay him for ten after my first four hours (later today), which will mean he owes me six more hours.

MariposaVolando Mon 01-Feb-16 12:45:54

Oh sorry, still me but different name <doh>

greenkitee Mon 01-Feb-16 14:40:49

If you do use PayPal do NOT use 'PayPal family and friends' as this doesn't cover you, use PayPal goods and services I think, this does protect

GoringBit Mon 01-Feb-16 14:51:17

Agree with PPs, I'd pay for one lesson in advance and no more.

OutWithTheDogs Mon 01-Feb-16 16:48:59

I think a scan of his passport plus seeing him on skype plus being able to trace him (electoral register etc) are enough to pay the whole ten lessons. You could ask for receipts or references as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now