in thinking that just because you have been on mn for ever

(366 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Samcro Sun 31-Jan-16 22:53:38

that doesn't make you a bad person.
MN for as long as I have been on here has had a oldie v newbie thing going
who really cares. some people post a lot, some don't.
but if you do post a lot (cos like me you might be stuck in a shite carer role) and you make "friends" with people on mn....you get slated.
all this royalty/oldie stuff is a yawn feast.... but in the 10 years I have been one here.....it still goes on.
isn't it time we all moved on?

coffeeisnectar Sun 31-Jan-16 22:55:02

As long as we aren't moving on to netmums.

500internalerror Sun 31-Jan-16 22:57:33

I've been here 12yrs, but having hardly posted for the last few, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who you are, how long you've been here.... it's just too big for all that now.

MilkAndFenty Sun 31-Jan-16 22:58:42

I'm a newbie blush I didn't realise this was a thing.

WorraLiberty Sun 31-Jan-16 22:59:14

YANBU. Who's bumping their gums about it this time?

Samcro Sun 31-Jan-16 23:01:08

its just stuff i keep seeing on mn, no one big thing

RudeElf Sun 31-Jan-16 23:02:33

Ooh havent seen a royalty/oldie comment in a long time. Whats been said?

elephantoverthehill Sun 31-Jan-16 23:04:15

I haven't been on here for long, but I like the laughs, the vaguely intelligent conversations (do you know we have a cactus and succulent expert now?) the support I can try to give, the help I can ask for. As someone said on another thread something about a rhino skin be very fashionable on here. So long as there posters who make sense and stick up for other posters when necessary, ''All is good''.

LaContessaDiPlump Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:14

YANBU. Mind you I would love to be thought of as an oldie (only been here 4 years but I can dream)!!

DonkeyOaty Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:16

Bumping gums! I'd forgotten that phrase - SM used to say that heaps. Arf.

MrsJayy Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:21

Who said what to who? It doesn't really matter though you do get some that can remember and talk about threads from the dark ages though grin

WorraLiberty Sun 31-Jan-16 23:07:27

Meh! People will always find something to bleat about.

If I ever find myself concerned about how random strangers spend their time on the internet, I'll drag myself outside and give myself a good kicking.

MrsJayy Sun 31-Jan-16 23:09:31

I'm never off here I have pee and meal breaks I don't give a shiney poo what other poster s think

QuietWhenReading Sun 31-Jan-16 23:12:33

I'm a serial name changer (for good reason). I've been here for a fair while but am in the happy position that know one 'knows' me.

Tis lovely.

clam Sun 31-Jan-16 23:12:55

Name-changing clouds the issue a bit, of course.
There must be loads of oldies who are in disguise.

<not me. Can't be arsed to think of a new name>

QuietWhenReading Sun 31-Jan-16 23:13:09

Know one?? blush the shame.., slinks off to bed.

Rafflesway Sun 31-Jan-16 23:30:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rafflesway Sun 31-Jan-16 23:31:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewYearSameMe Sun 31-Jan-16 23:38:53

I change my name every six weeks or so and have done for a couple of years. Before that I had the same name for about 9 years and was reasonably well known. I did fear that everything would change when I 'lost' my identity, but honestly everyone is pretty much as helpful and funny as they were when they 'knew' me. The only difference is I had a bit more leeway when I was being irrationally stroppy as a known poster, but really irrational stroppiness is better to be nipped in the bud anyway.

I do sometimes introduce myself as my previous name to some of the very lovely people on the adoption topic, just so they know I'm still around, some of us went through a lot together on there.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 09:17:52

I have been here for 4 years. I do find it odd that the posters who name change what seems like hourly like to tell the none name changers where they are going wrong with no worries of anyone knowing who they are.

Doesn't seem like a level playing field really.

hazeyjane Mon 01-Feb-16 09:24:12

I'm never off here I have pee and meal breaks...

Mumsnetting on the loo is the future.

magimedi Mon 01-Feb-16 09:25:09

Can't believe you've only been here 4 years Sparkling - I've been here 3.5 & thought you had been here for ever grin

I dislike the name changing aspect & have only done so for a couple of silly things like Christmas & when we all did a yoni nc.

I do appreciate that some people need to nc for very sensitive stuff but I wish there was a way of limiting it to just that.

Someone once suggested that there should be a special topic just for stuff like that & you could only nc on that topic. Not quite sure how that would work.

Ragwort Mon 01-Feb-16 09:26:13

Why do the name changers have to admit they are changing names, and then list their 'credentials' as if being an old timer as if that makes them so important? confused Doesn't that defeat the point of name changing?

As in RL, some people are just too bothered about their own self importance.

I like mumsnet, I've been here for 15 years - I look out for certain 'names' as I know they usually have some interesting point to make, but I don't go in for all the 'waving' and fawning up to certain posters.

PosieReturningParker Mon 01-Feb-16 09:26:55

I had a big break... I think I've been here about 9 years on and off

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Mon 01-Feb-16 09:27:37

YANBU but equally newbies shouldnt be derided or made to feel they are goady/trolls/have little to contribute which I have seen a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now