Talk

Advanced search

Wedding etiquette

(55 Posts)
Squiff85 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:01:28

If someone gives you a large amount of money for your wedding, do you think you should you try and include them/ get their opinions too or do you think that it's a gift and it's tough luck, you can do with it as you wish?

Chottie Sun 31-Jan-16 20:03:38

If the money is a gift, that's exactly what it is and there should be no strings attached.

(IMO) smile

Cric Sun 31-Jan-16 20:03:57

When we got married and were gifted money from both sets of parents. We would include them in different things. So for example we spent PIL money on the wine so all went wine tasting. It was really nice and we all had a lovely time!

Cric Sun 31-Jan-16 20:04:45

They didn't make us feel line we had to do that but we wanted to!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 31-Jan-16 20:06:34

My uncle paid for our wedding but he didn't have any say in the arrangements, although we did make sure that he would like the food, drink etc.

MaidOfStars Sun 31-Jan-16 20:09:00

I would have refused money with conditions attached. But it's probably nice to keep the giver in the loop.

Muskateersmummy Sun 31-Jan-16 20:11:56

We were given money by our parents towards the wedding, we told them what we were using it for but that was about it

theycallmemellojello Sun 31-Jan-16 20:22:07

I think you have to listen to the opinions of the giver. If they want to dictate, you're best returning the money. But IMO it is cheeky to take it and then ignore their wishes, though I know that's not a popular opinion in here.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:28:38

My dad gave me £2'000 towards my wedding and was happy for us to spend it how we wished.

My mom bought the wedding cake but was happy for me and my DH to pick whichever one we wanted.

My PIL paid for the renting of the suits and as a result they thought they should have a say as to what suit my husband and his best man wore. It was very, very awkward.

NerrSnerr Sun 31-Jan-16 20:37:14

My inlaws also paid for suits and really wanted blue when we wanted grey. Saying that, MIL wanted to overrule my decision on wedding ring even though we paid.

Hackedabove Sun 31-Jan-16 20:47:00

No conditions on the money we received from both sets of parents.

Ameliablue Sun 31-Jan-16 20:51:33

You don't need to ask permission for how to spend it but you could give some indication in a thank you card, but not necessary as you may not know straight away.

Squiff85 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:52:18

Incase its important I am talking 18k. It'll pay for the majority of the wedding

CallieTorres Sun 31-Jan-16 20:53:24

Your mil wanted to choose your wedding ring??? 💍?

ZiggyFartdust Sun 31-Jan-16 20:55:10

You don't have to do what they want, but "thanks for the cash, now fuck off" isn't the way to do it either.
I would imagine most reasonable people can navigate a reasonable path in between.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 31-Jan-16 20:55:39

If someone liked me enough to give me that much cash, I'd hope I liked them enough to be interested in their opinion. My parents made a substantial contribution to our wedding. They made no decisions but were involved in the planning, eg came to tasting with the caterer, asked opinions about other things. Things that were important to me, I paid for myself.

SouthWesterlyWinds Sun 31-Jan-16 20:55:59

Well there's a drip feed!

The thing in picking up on is it will pay for the majority. They don't even get that amount of money in Don't tell the bride.

NerrSnerr Sun 31-Jan-16 20:56:30

Callie yes, I wanted a thin band and she wanted me to get a thick one (think 1970s). We ended up going back without telling them and ordering and we didn't mention it again.

VikingVolva Sun 31-Jan-16 20:56:41

If the donor is putting strings on the gift that you just can't put up with, then do not accept the gift.

SouthWesterlyWinds Sun 31-Jan-16 20:57:37

Posted too soon - seriously. If it's a gift, then no, they don't get a say. If they want input, the question you need to ask is how much input are you willing to give them? Would you consider saying no and going for a smaller wedding on your terms

NerrSnerr Sun 31-Jan-16 20:59:25

18k I would give them a say. Maybe not with style of dresses etc but I'd expect input on venue etc.

Sairelou Sun 31-Jan-16 20:59:33

£18k?! shock surely that would pay for the entire wedding?

Hackedabove Sun 31-Jan-16 21:03:06

That was just a smidge more than we had off parents. SIL got married 7 weeks before us so I think In laws put their stamp on that one, my mum kept saying 'they fleece you every which way' but still didn't say what we should do with their share. Although we never told my dad how much the photographer cost (that's my mum and me!)

Hackedabove Sun 31-Jan-16 21:04:19

If they're only giving it on the condition you do things they way they want I would decline the gift.

slebmum1 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:05:28

I think for 18k they get to have a say or at least be involved in the process.

We didn't accept any money from out parents as I knew it would just cause friction. We paid and did it exactly as we wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now