Aibu to feel uneasy about the lying?

(77 Posts)
KateSpade Sun 31-Jan-16 08:07:10

I need a MN jury opinion here, please

I've recently got into a new relationship & I found out last night that a few weeks back he met up with his ex gf for a DVDs/food night, he didn't tell me, and lied to me about what he was doing!

He says it was so I wouldn't worry, nothing happened, but is this a huge red flag?

Opinions and WWYD?

I don't care who he sees and I trust him, it's just the lying that I don't like?

Am I being petty to think of ending my relationship over this?

Shakey15000 Sun 31-Jan-16 08:09:24

Not petty at all. Dump him and feel glad you didn't invest a whole lot of time.

Katenka Sun 31-Jan-16 08:10:44

No I wouldn't like this.

Lying so 'you don't get upset' is total bullshit. He lied so he could go and didn't have to deal with any fall out of going round to his exs.

It's a cop out.

MakeItRain Sun 31-Jan-16 08:13:43

I would break it off too. Like you say, it's the lying that would bother me, not just about who he was seeing but also inventing another night out. You say you "trust him", but you can't trust someone who finds it easy to lie.

nutellacrumpet Sun 31-Jan-16 08:14:50

LTB. The lies will only get worse.

GloGirl Sun 31-Jan-16 08:15:39

LTB.

Bumshkawahwah Sun 31-Jan-16 08:15:40

Huge red flag. I'd be very, very wary. YANBU

Scarydinosaurs Sun 31-Jan-16 08:15:46

Well done for spotting the lie and absolutely dump him.

Lies are shitty and he has lost your trust.

StrictlyMumDancing Sun 31-Jan-16 08:30:33

I wouldn't be able to trust someone who would so easily lie like that. And that would completely end it for me personally. YANBU. Massive red flag

Katenka Sun 31-Jan-16 08:32:26

I don't care who he sees and I trust him, it's just the lying that I don't like?

Why would you trust him?

He has shown you he is a liar and will excuse it by making it sound like he was doing it for you.

He is showing you who he is, pay attention.

Throwingshade Sun 31-Jan-16 08:34:08

I doubt she is his 'ex'

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sun 31-Jan-16 08:34:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 31-Jan-16 08:34:51

Nope, dump.

Not good enough.

GNRmama Sun 31-Jan-16 08:37:45

Massive red flag and way below what you deserve, leave him. Please don't try and tell yourself this is an overreaction because it isn't, lying to a partner is not ok and undermines the trust needed for a relationship to work.

Pipistrella Sun 31-Jan-16 08:37:58

How did you find out?

You can't trust him if he lies about that sort of thing (or anything really)

OohMavis Sun 31-Jan-16 08:38:57

There's only one reason to lie about something like that. And you know what that is.

Dump his arse.

BeaufortBelle Sun 31-Jan-16 08:42:17

I had drinks with an ex shortly after I met DH - it was a catch up sort of thing to tell him it was really it, etc. I didn't tell DH and it represented the final closure. We have been married very happily for 25 years. I don't think I've told DH about yet. It would have upset him at the time; he didn't like the chap because the chap hurt me.

Not so cut and dried perhaps.

londonrach Sun 31-Jan-16 08:43:44

Why did he feel he had to lie about it😒. Theres more than he saying. Id move on if i were you as i suspect he hasnt moved on from her yet.

firesidechat Sun 31-Jan-16 08:43:46

How long have you been together?

Why do you trust him?

Trust is something that builds rather than something you can have at the start of a new relationship. It would seem that he has already shown himself to be untrustworthy after a short time.

firesidechat Sun 31-Jan-16 08:45:08

I would dump him, but I draw a line in the sand over any kind of lies.

CalleighDoodle Sun 31-Jan-16 08:48:38

firstly, how did you find out?

Secondly, lies destroy relationships. From pastexperience id be glad i found out so soon and move on.

carabos Sun 31-Jan-16 08:50:00

She's not his ex. She may even be his wife hmm. Don't waste your time. You deserve better.

Penfold007 Sun 31-Jan-16 09:00:14

So that would be food, DVDs and sex with his maybe ex? Wonder how he would feel if you had such an evening with your ex. Dump and run

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 31-Jan-16 09:02:28

How long have you been with him?
If I was in a new relationship I wouldn't expect to tell him everything I was doing when not with him, or who I was seeing. I wouldn't lie, and maybe that's the issue for you, but why would you expect to be told this stuff automatically?

ricketytickety Sun 31-Jan-16 09:07:33

Double red flag - lies not acceptable, date with ex odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now