To think that if you're an adult in Disney World... You really don't need to queue for autographs?

(136 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 30-Jan-16 21:38:48

I had a conversation with a friend earlier about her upcoming holiday to Disney world. I've been a few times (with my young children and without) and she asked if she (a 30 year old!) should buy an autograph book... I laughed as I thought she was joking and said that there's so much more to do, and that it would be a waste of her time. I also said that although I would never dream of saying anything, when I've got in the queue for Mickey Mouse with my four year old, I always think it's a bit bizarre that there are at least ten childless adults in front of her.

My friend got offended... Which was not my intention!

AIBU?

MidniteScribbler Sat 30-Jan-16 21:40:23

Why do you even care? She's paid her money to get in, she has as much right as a four year old to get autographs if that is what is important to her.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 30-Jan-16 21:41:54

I don't care.. She asked my opinion and now she's offended by it.

Nanny0gg Sat 30-Jan-16 21:49:27

Why would you want an autograph from someone dressed up as a cartoon character?

I can understand a photo, but not an autograph.

ChipsandGuac Sat 30-Jan-16 21:51:41

Imo, the worst part of Disney (except for all of it) is the amount of grown adults trampling over young kids to get to the characters or the best view of the parade. Usually in matching tops and Mickey ears.

HelpfulChap Sat 30-Jan-16 21:52:02

I think people get caught up in the moment.

Having an American student dressed up as a duck signing you autograph book is patently ridiculous.

TheMouseThatRoared Sat 30-Jan-16 21:54:17

Yanbu, it weird.

Kreacherelf Sat 30-Jan-16 21:54:57

Whatever floats your boat. Leave them to it. smile

Toffeelatteplease Sat 30-Jan-16 21:55:07

Because you are not getting an autograph from a character dressed up you ate getting one from mickey mouse.

Everyone enjoys the magic different yabvu to tell her her way of enjoying it is wrong

Helmetbymidnight Sat 30-Jan-16 21:57:37

It is bizarre.

However, saying weird behaviour is weird is very much frowned upon in these parts, so I think you will find YABU.

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Sat 30-Jan-16 21:59:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 30-Jan-16 22:00:34

I've never been as an adult without my young children... I went as a child and teen!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 30-Jan-16 22:02:18

Wtf??

It's not even someone famous, which I'm sure is the point of autographs!

She needs to grow up. Disney is pretty crappy anyway

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Sat 30-Jan-16 22:02:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 30-Jan-16 22:05:57

I love Disney, don't get me wrong... But I love it for my 5 and 2 year olds... Who obviously think Mickey Mouse is real and get a thrill out of getting his autograph. (Well, the then 4 year old did anyway!)

When I went as a teen with friends, it was for rides (and universal, Busch gardens etc)... I can't imagine being 30 years old and wanting to queue 45 minutes for a dressed up persons fake signature.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 30-Jan-16 22:07:30

I found the ridiculous numbers of adults without children who clogged up the queues to have their photo taken with a person in a buzz lightyear costume and get a stamp (buzz doesn't even do signatures because the costume prevents it) in an autograph book mind boggling. DS2 (who was 3) really thought he was going to meet buzz lightyear, but if you know what's really going on, why spend an hour (plus) in a queue to get a signature when you could be doing anything else something better?

There were loads of them though.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 30-Jan-16 22:13:07

dsis was there with her dc last year and there was a 40+ year old lone man ahead of them in the queue hardly able to contain his excitement waiting for an autograph and to get his pictures taken with snow white and another couple of princesses.

The princesses hardly batted an eyelid and got on with it, but her dd's(11 and 9) were very hmm

Oysterbabe Sat 30-Jan-16 22:13:38

IMO going to Disney without kids is fucking weird fullstop. I don't find queuing for autographs any more weird.

fruityb Sat 30-Jan-16 22:19:39

Went to Disney last summer, me and dp. Had pictures taken with characters as it was fun. Autographs maybe a bit much but nothing wrong with having some fun. It is easy to get swept along by it all.

I can only imagine it's exhausting with children! The heat and humidity as well as miles of walking was quite a lot for me to take!

Sparklingbrook Sat 30-Jan-16 22:25:06

Disney doesn't do it for me at all. Autographs from someone dressed up? That's really odd.

MrsJorahMormont Sat 30-Jan-16 22:30:22

It wouldn't do anything for me but I know two grown women who are MAD for Disney. One had her wedding there. They just love it, in a way I can't really get but it's pretty harmless.

Sparklingbrook Sat 30-Jan-16 22:31:20

OMG a Disney wedding. Did she wear the Mickey ears as a tiara?

Floggingmolly Sat 30-Jan-16 22:34:02

Why would you want Mickey Mouse's autograph? Does she understand he's not real and there's some student earning minimum wage inside the costume? confused

Sparklingbrook Sat 30-Jan-16 22:35:19

YY you would get some teenager's autograph. the one sweating their whatsits off all day for crap pay. confused

MidniteScribbler Sat 30-Jan-16 22:35:56

A friend of mine had their wedding at an Australian theme park (Dreamworld for those who know Australia) and it was the best wedding I've ever been to. We had champagne whilst they said their vows with the Tigers playing behind them, then we got to go on a whole heap of rides whilst a bit tipsy, then a lovely dinner in the restaurant. It was after hours, so no one else in the park, we had a whole section with rides just for the wedding guests. Much more fun than a traditional boring wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now