Talk

Advanced search

to never EVER want a frigging so-called 'non-stick' pan ever again?!

(38 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:14:35

Fecking useless things.

They always lose their non-stickiness after a while (yes, yes, I know, 'overheating', but I do live and cook in the RealWorld with 4 kids and a dog and get distracted…), then stuff sticks and they still CANNOT BE SCRUBBED with a wire brillo pad and some elbow grease - feckers!!

<quietyly fumes>

My next pan will be nice shiny stainless steel one. And it will get scrubbed to within an inch of its life when required. It will be v satisfying.

I should get out more, shouldn't I?
blush
grin

dementedpixie Sat 30-Jan-16 18:19:53

www.spontex.co.uk/product/brilliant-scourer-pad/ - these are suitable for non stick pans and are effective too

Pico2 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:22:19

I thought this was only us. We need a couple of new pans now as ours are knackered. And they never go in the dishwasher. I didn't know overheating was a problem, I thought cooking was meant to be hot.

What do they use in professional kitchens?

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:22:27

Oh, don't be so sensible and helpful, dementedpixie - this is 'AIBU'!! Thank you
grin

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:23:21

Stainless steel, Pico, good quality, expensive stainless steel!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 30-Jan-16 18:24:33

Get cast iron, season it properly and it will always be non stick. Clean with hot water and salt or just wipe pan clean, so easy.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sat 30-Jan-16 18:26:30

stainless steel is great. especially not that fat us not devil incarnate anymore.
are those ceramic pans any good?

claig Sat 30-Jan-16 18:26:41

YANBU. Stainless stell everytime because of the health issues. I have nothing non-stick whatsoever apart from a ceramic grill.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Sat 30-Jan-16 18:27:44

There's only one thing worse than a so called non-stick pan and that's one of those ceramic pans. More useless than an ashtray on a motorbike.
However - one thing I do know but only discovered very late on in the game is that you should never use washing up liquid on a non-stick pan. Just hot water and wipe. This has helped me anyway smile

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:28:24

Oh yes, cast iron is lovely too, but so bastardly heavy <weak wrists>

Ceramic pans? Really?
Or ceramic coating?? Nope - no coating, not acceptable!

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 30-Jan-16 18:30:49

Have you tried sex lube and a fishslice? I hear it's very effective for kitchen problems.

TBH, I find non-stick oven trays more of a problem. But they all seem to be non-stick. Cast iron pans are great if you have wrists like steel. Mine are more twiglike.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sat 30-Jan-16 18:30:54

do you even need a pan?
a lazy friend in student days fried directly on the hob (the glass/ceran kind).

MaisyMooMoo Sat 30-Jan-16 18:36:29

Are non stick coatings still considered to be unhealthy? Are there any manufactures that don't use them?

whatevva Sat 30-Jan-16 18:37:15

Stainless steel.

Can be seasoned, usually with oil. I used salt once (instructions on a salt packet; never seen it since hmm.

Don't use washing up liquid, unless you reseason.

BrokenVag Sat 30-Jan-16 18:42:16

Are you buying cheap pans? My non-stick pans last forever, never stick, get slung in the dishwasher...........

ABetaDad1 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:42:40

Black iron pans are non stick and literally last forever. Just scrub with a plastic brush in hot water, wipe out and lightly oil. Remarkably cheap too if bought from a catering supplier. I have many of the pans on this page of the Russums website. Best pans I have ever had.

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:44:13

Don't get me started on backing trays!! <glowers>

Good ideas there from slightly and SmallGreen grin

I do have a glass Ceran hob, but still think the no-pan solution sounds messy tbh.

I don't use washing up liquid and often just wipe a pan and reuse. That does help, but still prefer the stainless steel pan over the fancy Tefal one.

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jan-16 18:46:29

Cheap pans?! Cheap pans??
There's nothing cheap about my pans I have you know, Broken <hoiks>

I have a black iron oval casserole pan with lid which I love and often use. It does weigh a ton though which puts me off getting a frying pain of the same material. Hm. Worth a consideration.

I need to kill the so-called 'non-stick' pan first thought to justify a new one.

MaisyMooMoo Sat 30-Jan-16 18:48:32

I'm looking for a wok with lid that doesn't have any dodgy coatings.

SaucyJack Sat 30-Jan-16 18:49:51

YABU!

I got a decent non-stick pan recently and it has revolutionised like my whole entire outlook.

MrsMitchell15 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:57:47

I decided to try those new-fangled Ceramic pans. PISH! The ad on TV shows you stuff cooking perfectly and not sticking. It's utter cobblers. I work in contract catering and our kitchens all have solid steel pans. They can be scrubbed and I secretly love that fact. I have a non-stick tefal stir fry pan but it's never left unattended and it's the only one that's lasted more than a month in my house. Other than that, I have my stainless steel sets and they do me lovely.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 30-Jan-16 18:57:47

I have dishwasher safe non-stick pans <preens>

At least 5 years old and have been in the dishwasher at least 2 or 3 times a week and are still great.

SlinkyVagabond Sat 30-Jan-16 18:58:20

Woks from Chinese supermarkets Maisy. Cheap as, but need seasoning well.

claig Sat 30-Jan-16 19:00:48

"Are non stick coatings still considered to be unhealthy?"

This is from the Telegraph

"Are we really being poisoned by non-stick pans?

A new scientific report says man-made chemicals found in non-stick pans can be detrimental to our health
Should you stop using your non-stick pans?

Don't panic - for most people, non-stick pans are one of the smallest sources of exposure to PFASs. Balan says that in a typical US home, exposure from carpets, upholstery and textiles or clothing carries a higher risk than non-stick cookware.

“I personally do not advocate for throwing away or giving away your non-stick pan,” says Balan. “That doesn't solve the problem: if you throw it away, it will end up in a landfill from where it will leach PFASs into the environment, or even worse, it will get burned, which will release even more toxins. If you already have a non-stick pan, just use it carefully. Don't overheat it (make sure the temperature stays well below 500F/260C), and be careful not to scratch it (same goes for rice cookers, or any other non-stick kitchen items).”

She also urges people not to buy any new non-stick pans as reducing consumer demand could prevent new emissions and exposures."

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/11643213/Are-we-really-being-poisoned-by-non-stick-pans.html

I must admit I am a bit of a health nut about this. I always look for stainless steel. I am looking for an ice cream machineand won't even consider anodised aluminium which means that the cheapest good stainless steel one is about £700 which is why I have not yet taken the plunge.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sat 30-Jan-16 19:03:32

we have horrendously expensive wmf non stick pans. supposedly. they stick. and are heavy.
cooking them out with salt helps for a couple of times but I can't be arsed to do it that often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now