We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Redecorating, is photo wallpaper cool or tacky?

(67 Posts)
bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:06:34

Have just started stripping wallpaper in what will be our lounge. Very old house and the current dodgy textured wallpaper has been there since the dark ages. I've hit on a massive photo wall (something like black and white new York city skyline) as a way to drag the room into the 21st century rather than just a fresh coat of paint. Dh said it would either look cool or kitsch or just tacky. Then he decided it would get in the way of him having a massive TV on that wall, so now he is against. But I am really keen and want some opinions on whether it is a terrible idea? It would be one whole wall so 12ft long and all the way up to the ceiling. Any thoughts?

TitClash Sat 30-Jan-16 12:08:30

Kitsch or tacky. But better than some of the crap you see on Ebay, like giant butterflies or words.

Floggingmolly Sat 30-Jan-16 12:10:54

It's the sort of thing you either love or hate. I'd quite like it.

saveforthat Sat 30-Jan-16 12:11:05

I think you will get bored with it in a lounge. There is one of these in our reception at work (well three actually). If I was the receptionist they would give me a headache.

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:11:15

Thanks. I did show him some horrible ones with flowers to contrast with the subtle one I've got my eye on, and I definitely wouldn't want words or people or bright colours, but I can see it is still controversial, hence the question.

Bambooshoots14 Sat 30-Jan-16 12:12:52

I'd think tacky I'm afraid

gamerchick Sat 30-Jan-16 12:13:13

I like stuff like that but I've reserved it for bedrooms rather than the living room.

I don't like tellys on the wall though so I'm encouraging you to go for it grin

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:15:04

Good point about it getting boring. But the thing is our current lounge is overrun with toys and so in attempt to try and get an adult space we are switching the rooms around and accepting that the current lounge is fundamentally a play room. So once decorated we would have an adult only space that would only be used for a couple of hours in the evening and the door would be shut the rest of the time to keep it as a sanctuary. So I quite like the idea of making it monochrome with a big mural type effect to contrast with the current lounge/playroom where we spend most of our time

harrasseddotcom Sat 30-Jan-16 12:15:23

Do you mean like a wall mural? I really like these, and have seen some very stylish lounges with them but they usually only have a low sofa on them or nothing at all. In fact it is normally a nature pic with minimialist furniture. We have them in both our childrens bedrooms, one is NYC and lots of people comment on how smart it is. But DS is 15 and only has a smallish tv on it so maybe not the look your going for!

Thissameearth Sat 30-Jan-16 12:15:45

Personally? Tacky. Try a tree/forestry print, still a bit tacky but doesn't stop me liking it!

gamerchick Sat 30-Jan-16 12:18:07

You really don't get bored with it any time soon. I have murals years old and still love them.

As for tacky... Just how many people dress their houses for people who don't live there? It's your space do what you want hmm

Thissameearth Sat 30-Jan-16 12:18:43

www.wallpapersofdistinction.co.uk/cole-and-son/woods/69-12147?gclid=CKH66KvC0coCFUsOwwod1pYM4Q

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:18:44

We also have a large kitchen diner so this room would not be where anyone spend much time, just post kiddy bedtime!

At the moment I am trying to go for the polar opposite of the hundred year old textured flowery wallpaper that currently covers every floor (and ceiling)

Dreamonastar Sat 30-Jan-16 12:20:39

I think tacky, sorry.

gamerchick Sat 30-Jan-16 12:20:53

Ceilings as well? Gawd! Maybe see what it's all hiding underneath and then make a plan.

silverfingersandtoes Sat 30-Jan-16 12:21:30

I've just used some - black and white, collage of Victorian framed photos of posed people - for the loo in our Victorian house!! I really love it and it is much admired by all my friends. Or so they say. The DC loathe it and consider it "spooky" to be surrounded by total strangers dressed in their best watching you have a pee. grin

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:22:10

Thanks. Yes, like a wall mural. Basically wallpaper that turns one whole wall into a picture. Such as trees or a cityscape.

I'm so taken with the idea I might get some trees for the old lounge/playroom to make it more child friendly as it also has hideous beige textured wallpaper on every surface at the mo! But wouldn't do both. That is if I can't have my black and white city scape

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:23:24

Silver fingers, I can see that being eerie!

Sallyingforth Sat 30-Jan-16 12:23:39

It's whatever you think it is. Do you really want others to decide for you?

HackerFucker22 Sat 30-Jan-16 12:25:44

Show us a pic.

That tree wallpaper at £72 a roll is fucking vile tho.

beelover Sat 30-Jan-16 12:26:41

Go for it, I think it will look great.

bedraggledmumoftwo Sat 30-Jan-16 12:39:22

Don't want to link to the actual one in case I out myself when I get it. But something like this...

www.photowall.co.uk/photo-wallpaper/bright-brooklyn-bridge-bw

SuperFlyHigh Sat 30-Jan-16 12:40:31

Hacker just what I was thinking about that tree paper for £72 a roll - horrific! Reminds me of that Harry Enfield series of sketches where he says "I saw you coming..." grin

Babymamamama Sat 30-Jan-16 12:42:42

I loved the tree wall paper at centre parcs. Probably is a bit tacky but who cares?

SuperFlyHigh Sat 30-Jan-16 12:44:58

I don't personally like the one you linked to as you see it everywhere...

On their site I quite like (variations on it and this one below may be a bit much!):-

www.photowall.co.uk/photo-wallpaper/aurora-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now