To have sweets before a workout as it gives me a huge boost!

(7 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Fri 29-Jan-16 23:58:13

For the past couple of days I've eaten a full (190g) pack of wine gums before my workout at the gym. Yes, I know this is shocking. My only defence is that it's that time of the month and my body does crazy for sugar. Anyhoo - on these days my workouts were much better than usual, I felt I had much more energy, could go for longer, etc. I'm well aware this is probably simply attributable to the tons of sugar I'd ingested but still....it felt good.

On these days though, I haven't had my usual large bar of chocolate in the evening. This is a staple of my life and all I have to look forward to (violins please) so it's rather strange that I've been able to avoid it. Clearly it's because of the wine gums. So calorie wise, everything is still in synch.

So, my AIBU is this: Am I BU to ingest something sugary before my workout in future, where it at least contributes to a vigorous workout or have less groovy workouts then come home and eat the usual 100g bar of chocolate?

Honestly, in my head it all makes sense....

chipsandpeas Sat 30-Jan-16 00:00:13

you probably not working off what you are eating tho

PainAuChocolat23 Sat 30-Jan-16 00:08:38

My fitness coach tells me a bannana half an hour before exercise is the way to go and shes been proved right every week for the 3yrs ive known her

Mmmmcake123 Sat 30-Jan-16 00:09:28

Yabu to ask this questionsmile. If it is working for you and caloriewise there is no issue, I don't understand the problem, unless you are trying to lose weight.
Keep up with dental hygiene tho

StrictlyMumDancing Sat 30-Jan-16 00:13:50

Depends if you're trying to lose weight or not. Or bulk up or not I suppose. But as it seems you're swapping one treat for another so probably YANBU. Unless you're one of the first two.

ruddynorah Sat 30-Jan-16 00:14:29

You know you can get pre-workout formulas you mix with water to give you a boost? Pretty common amongst gym regulars.

Oldisthenewblack Sat 30-Jan-16 12:07:25

Mmmmcake - yes, have cleaned my teeth as soon as i got home! I would like to lose weight, but figure if I'm simply swopping calories at least I won't be gaining any. I hope. Despite the calorific-ness of the gums, they are at least almost fat free. I'm not justifying it...

ruddynorah - I may have vaguely heard of such things, I'll look into it today. Ridiculous I know but I can't imagine anything working as well as these sweets!! If they do then brilliant.

PainAuChocolat - I'm allergic to bananas, sadly. Pisses me off as I know they're great to fuel a workout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now