Talk

Advanced search

Workman making coffee

(37 Posts)
Redglitter Fri 29-Jan-16 21:25:07

I'm really not sure if I'm being U about this so ill go with the general consensus.

I stay in a rented flat. There's work needed done and a company have been in twice. Their 3rd and final visit was this week and involved a 3 hour job. Since I was working the agency suggested giving them the keys and getting on with it. As it's a company they use a lot that seemed fair.

Came in and the jobs done and the place exactly as I left it. Except for one thing. There's a mug in the sink. It's a mug I forgot I had and very very distinctive. I know 100% I haven't used it which means the workman must have.

Personally I feel that's out of order. He had no reason to go into the kitchen. He's obviously give into a cupboard to find it then had to find coffee etc and milk.

If I'd been in I'd have offered him one but is it really acceptable to root around and help himself. Makes me wonder where else he's been

Needless to say no one will be getting my keys again.

infife Fri 29-Jan-16 21:27:05

I wouldn't be upset - but then, a workman would never need to ask, because I always keep them topped up with tea and biccies.

Of course, you weren't there - but tea and biccies is fairly standard for workmen to be supplied with, so I wouldn't object to them making one.

toffeeboffin Fri 29-Jan-16 21:29:55

I wouldn't be upset at all.

Fullofcoldgrrrr Fri 29-Jan-16 21:30:08

YANBU. I would NOT be happy about this, massive invasion of privacy.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:31:34

hmm I think YABU. He may have brought his own coffee or tea, but it's hardly practical to carry his own ceramic mug around.

We had workmen in for 5 weeks, told them where to find mugs, have them teabags, sugar, milk and biscuits.

Mean to begrudge him a cuppa unless you had valuables in your mug cupboard confused

MidniteScribbler Fri 29-Jan-16 21:33:05

I'd think it a bit weird if they just helped themselves whilst I wasn't there, but I've got lots of renos being done at the moment, and I always make sure the kettle and coffee maker is on the bench with the tea, coffee and sugar beside it, and milk in the fridge. I let them know in the morning that they are welcome to help themselves. I usually leave some biscuits or treats as well. They are working on my house, I want them to feel comfortable and do a good job.

Kirkenes Fri 29-Jan-16 21:34:13

Maybe he just had a glass of water. I don't think it would bother me.

lamiashiro Fri 29-Jan-16 21:34:55

I wouldn't care. If we have workmen in I make them tea and coffee and if I'm not there, I show them where stuff is and tell them to help themselves.

OhforGodsake Fri 29-Jan-16 21:36:56

I've currently got workmen in my house whilst I'm out at work. I made sure they knew where mugs; tes; coffee; sugar & milk was from day 1 so that they can help themselves. I have brews whilst I'm at work, why would someone working in my home not need a brew too? Yeah, I think it's unreasonable not to expect them to make a drink.

sadwidow28 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:37:37

I'm like infife - I keep workmen topped up with tea/coffee or juice.

If I have an outside job being done and it isn't important for me to be around, I put a kettle, tea/coffee, milk, biscuits and mugs in the garage so they can make their own.

Having said that, I am not sure it IS acceptable for a workman to go into someone's kitchen cupboards and help themselves. But I would have just been embarrassed that I had been thoughtless and not left supplies out on the work surface.

Runnerd Fri 29-Jan-16 21:39:33

He didn't have a rummage through your knicker drawer, he made himself a brew. And was polite enough to dig out a manky old cup that you wouldn't be attached to rather than one of your naice ones.
Would it have been ok if he'd found a glass and had a drink of water? I imagine yes. So give the poor guy a break.

BillSykesDog Fri 29-Jan-16 21:42:55

YABU, you don't even know if he used your coffee and milk. He might have just had a quick glance in your cupboards to find a mug. What's the problem with that? What do you keep in your cupboards? Dead bodies?

It's not like he's been rooting in your knicker draw.

Redglitter Fri 29-Jan-16 21:46:10

Fair enough as I said I'm happy to go with the general consensus and admit I was BU

Thank you

smile

Kreacherelf Fri 29-Jan-16 21:46:18

Yanbu op

Workmen are sub-human and should be treated as such.

Hth

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 21:48:06

I'm like Mrs Bloody Doyle with workers in the house. Which bemuses then no end since we live in Canada and it's not the 'done thing' to offer tea really.

Ameliablue Fri 29-Jan-16 21:51:19

I think you are being unreasonable as kitchen cupboards aren't generally used for private things and most of his clients have probably been quite happy for him to help himself in the past. I would think it unreasonable if a workman helped himself while I was there but not when alone.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 29-Jan-16 21:51:57

so am I Mrs I practically forced our plumber to stay for a cup of tea and a chat as I was so lonely on maternity leave blush

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 21:53:18

grin

Sheezus Fri 29-Jan-16 22:09:22

Oh Jesus, you mean you didn't leave anything out if you weren't going to be there?
Disclaimer, I'm Irish and we feed our tradesmen. Well.
I guess in the hope that they'll treat our homes well or something. Or just for the fact that you know, they may fancy a coffee break at some stage during the day.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:10:54

Go on.

PegsPigs Fri 29-Jan-16 22:11:35

I offer when I'm there but no actually I don't think YANBU to not want him going through your cupboards whether you are or aren't there. I've had Polish decorators who couldn't speak much English and they brought their own flasks and snacks. It's not compulsory for trades people to be provided for! I always offer if I'm in though.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:13:13

That cup was left out as a reprimand. To you.

Sounbelievablydull Fri 29-Jan-16 22:15:30

Bloody workmen whatever stance you take it's wrong.
I think they guffaw at all if us whatever you do

MuttonDressedAsMutton Fri 29-Jan-16 22:17:48

This is a total non-issue. If you'd come home to find the mug full of day old piss - well then you'd have a rock solid YANBU but otherwise, no. Someone had a drink. That is all. Non-issue de luxe.

weaselwords Fri 29-Jan-16 22:18:54

We bought kenco millicano for our builders. It made them very happy so was well worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now