Talk

Advanced search

Bruise on 18 month old's forehead has formed small hard lump underneath

(4 Posts)
Clockworktangerine Fri 29-Jan-16 19:47:41

Hi, my baby knocked her forehead on the rounded edge of her cot when going from sitting to standing. She hit it right in the middle of her forehead about 4 weeks ago, and there was a big bruise which has gone down. The bump itself has stayed a little bit, and under that is a thin hard lump which is dark reddish through the skin - ie: there is obviously some dried blood underneath it. We are heading to the doctors on Monday but I just wondered if anyone's baby has had the same? Worried.

WitchWay Fri 29-Jan-16 19:52:52

GP here - it is probably a subperiosteal haematoma - sounds awful but is just a bruise that is trapped beneath the membrane over the bone - really common with injuries to parts with little tissue covering - forehead & shin, mostly.

It will leave a lump for a-g-e-s which will gradually resolve over the next few months - months, really. It might leave a small lump which doesn't resolve, or even a small dent.

Please don't worry,

Clockworktangerine Fri 29-Jan-16 20:15:47

Thank you, it does sound like that could be it. Will still head to gp obviously but am relieved to read your post. She has been absolutely fine otherwise, and the lump does seem to be dissipating but very very slowly.

5madthings Fri 29-Jan-16 20:17:39

What witch said, a few of my kids have had these and they do eventually go away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now