Talk

Advanced search

To wear this colour?

(32 Posts)
DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 18:33:24

Friends are getting married soon and in anticipation I have already bought a dress. We have just received the wedding invite and the 'theme colour' is more or less the same colour as my dress.

Will it look like I'm pretending I'm to be a bridesmaid?? It's a sort of cobalt blue if that makes any difference.

I really like my new dress and I look and feel really good in it (which doesn't happen often!). What if I wear a little jacket or cardigan in a different colour over it?

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 29-Jan-16 18:48:11

Well you can do one of these maybe:

a) Sit right at the back
b) Wear a large scarf/cardi/jacket to cover most of it
c) Wear it with pride and risk feeling awkward
d) Ask if you can be a bridesmaid

Do you not have another outfit that you could wear and keep this one for another time? I wouldn't wear it, as nice as it sounds, wearing the same coloured outfit is a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 29-Jan-16 18:57:31

Theme colours are often intended for the guests as well apparently it's a modern thing

DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 19:38:23

Hmmm I hadn't heard of it being a thing, but then I haven't been to many weddings.

I really don't want to look for a different dress and aside from the dress I wore to my last 4 weddings I don't have anything suitable. Can't wear that as I wore it to a wedding of friends in the same circle.

Wolfiefan Fri 29-Jan-16 19:39:44

Ask the bride and groom?

UntilTheCowsComeHome Fri 29-Jan-16 19:40:33

I'd have loved my guests to have worn similar colours to my colour scheme, it would've looked really nice on the photos.

rather than my MIL's awful bright orange outfit that went with nothing and made her look like an oompa-loompa

Find out whether it's a no go before you buy anything else op, it might be encouraged for you to wear that colour.

CalleighDoodle Fri 29-Jan-16 19:46:18

The invite might not be in the bridesmaids colour. i attended a wedding recently where the theme on the invite matched the parents and grandparents of the b&g. The bridesmaids were in a totally different colour.

HairySubject Fri 29-Jan-16 19:47:43

I also would have liked my guests to match the colour scheme so just ask the bride, she might not mind.

FaceTheFace Fri 29-Jan-16 20:04:45

It wouldn't bother me. Assuming it's not an old bridesmaid dress you won't look like a bridesmaid, and chances are you wont be the only guest in a lovely blue dress either smile I would suggest not overthinking it. You aren't wearing a white gown, so you're good!

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 29-Jan-16 20:08:29

What dress is it?

PitilessYank Fri 29-Jan-16 20:09:56

Would you tell us the color? Is it the same color, or just in the same family of colors?

DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 20:10:01

No white and no black are fairly easy rules to follow Face smile although you just reminded me of a wedding thread where the MIL work a long white flowy dress.

I think I'm going to ask the bride. You might be right about it not being the colour of the wedding party.

DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 20:16:25

This is the dress, but in Saphire/Cobalt blue.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Fri 29-Jan-16 20:18:26

Ooh pretty dress, but more than a wee bit bridesmaidy.

DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 20:18:56

Their wedding colour is probably one shade deeper/darker but it's very similar. Not like if the colour was coral pink and my dress was fuscia pink.

DXBMermaid Fri 29-Jan-16 20:21:27

You think so Cow?
Not the look I was going for... It's made from stretchy cotton/jersey not anything shiny. I picked it because it's great for hiding a wibbly postpartum tummy and I can BF in it as well.

MissBattleaxe Fri 29-Jan-16 20:25:41

Wear what you like. I don't believe in telling guests what colours to wear. Cobalt is a hot colour right now so you might not be alone.

Celticlassie Fri 29-Jan-16 20:47:17

It wouldn't bother me at all, but maybe fling on a jacket, shawl or similar for the day time part to make the colour stand out less in the pictures.

RatherBeRiding Fri 29-Jan-16 20:51:49

Cardigan/pashmina/jacket/bolero/shawl-scarf thingy in neutral colour. Bag to match. Bold jewellery. Nice fascinator. The colour of the dress will be toned down dramatically and you won't look even remotely bridesmaid-y, if that is indeed the colour scheme.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Fri 29-Jan-16 20:52:25

Looks perfect for breastfeeding in - nice find!

My stationery colours matched little details of my wedding, not the bridesmaids dresses (which were all different anyway to save arguments). I honestly wouldn't have minded guests in either colour.

I was a bridesmaid at a wedding where one of the guests was wearing the exact same dress as one of the bridesmaids. The bride just had a good chuckle and pointed out it was ok because she hadn't brought her own bouquet.

I'd just ask the bride. Offer to get a cardigan or similar to make yourself different if necessary.

PartyCityGhoul Fri 29-Jan-16 21:02:40

If you don't want to put the bride on the spot, you could ask a bridesmaid (assuming you know one!) what their dresses are like?

I can't imagine the bride having an issue though,if she was 'that' kind of bride there'd have been a "no blue dresses' note surely? Other than my mother and the bloke who wore a kilt, i couldn't tell you what anyone wore to my wedding, I was a bit preoccupied!

LemonySmithit Fri 29-Jan-16 21:16:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Fri 29-Jan-16 21:21:50

Lemony all we know is that the invitation is cobalt blue - I'd be surprised if there was only one bride sending out blue wedding invitations this year.

LemonySmithit Fri 29-Jan-16 21:31:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperCee7 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:39:41

What is the AIBU? You don't want to get a new dress so...? Just wear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now