To ask you to explain to me why real fur is bad?

(57 Posts)
WaitrosePigeon Fri 29-Jan-16 17:42:46

I would never wear real fur. Even faux fur doesn't float my boat.

However I want to know why it's bad. Is it solely animals being killed for their fur or are there any other reasons?

Reason I ask is because I overheard a conversation when I picked my daughter up from nursery earlier. To cut a long story short a woman asked the other woman if the coat was 'real', and apparently it was.

I will give it all a good Google to educate myself but I know I can count on MN to giving to me straight.

Thanks in advance and I know I sound ignorant.

Fatfreefaff Fri 29-Jan-16 17:45:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_.../2556764-Why-do-people-hate-real-fur

Thread a few days ago

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 17:46:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WaitrosePigeon Fri 29-Jan-16 17:48:31

Thanks Fatfree. I didn't actually see that thread or I wouldn't have started this one!

amarmai Fri 29-Jan-16 17:55:59

all mainstream commercial farming methods are horrendous. Do you need to eat meat? Do you wear any leather items?

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 18:19:44

wickedlazy Fri 29-Jan-16 18:21:45

Because the animals who are killed for it, are killed only for it. Killing animals just for vanity is a bit shit imo.

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 18:22:55

wickedlazy Fri 29-Jan-16 18:23:08

I wear leather and eat meat, and feel really guilty about both. I did stop buying non free range eggs a few years ago, and try to buy ethical stuff when I can.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 18:28:05

The interesting debate I heard recently was about coyote fur. Ranchers and farmers consider them pest and because of the lack of balance in the system (wolves would have sorted coyotes right out) they are breeding in large numbers. So, what would I do? Well, I would reintroduce wolves and rely less on meat but I can see a case for humane culling (which is not how it's done right now) and using the fur.

I live in Canada where people have traditionally hunted and used the meat and fur (and it's shitting freezing so fur is sensible).

High Street Ken, not so much...

Doublebubblebubble Fri 29-Jan-16 18:35:12

The wearing of fur is BARBARIC!! Just watch a peta video - (and I say that as a meat eater) I think a lot of people dont realise that faux fur also isn't the best thing for animals because as long as the "look" of fur is appealing/fashionable will try to find the article about it real fur will continue to be used.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 18:46:53

Double I don't like fur-farming but I don't go to PETA for my reporting. They are horribly biased and PETA operates kill shelters which doesn't line up with my views on animal welfare.

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 18:48:58

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 18:51:50

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 18:52:31

itsbetterthanabox Fri 29-Jan-16 18:55:22

People don't need fur.
They also don't need meat.
It's a huge hypocrisy.
It's because people like fuzzy animals but don't care if cows die.
It's stupid.

MaisyMooMoo Fri 29-Jan-16 18:57:23

I watched a video showing the skinning process. It was ripped off the live animal who was then thrown on a heap with the other skinned animals left to die in excruciating pain. It has to be one if the worst things I have ever seen and will stay with me for ever.

I am now an anti fur activist and campaign in my city.

Most high street stores have a no fur policy however I know Harvey Nichols and Flannels still sell fur products.

And OP, Angora is just as bad, rabbits have their fur plucked raw to supply it.

startingmylifeagain Fri 29-Jan-16 19:03:39

What Maisy Moo said.

Watch Earthlings by Joaquin Phoenix (requires a strong stomach).

Doublebubblebubble Fri 29-Jan-16 19:25:03

Oh I'm definitely not pro peta at all. Should have put that. They put down more healthy animals than any other animal charity. I just think that their videos will show graphically and vividly exactly what goes into making that unnecessarily made coat.

Doublebubblebubble Fri 29-Jan-16 19:26:27

Oh and Earthlings is a very very poignant film - very very strong stomach indeed needed. Its on youtube too x

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 19:30:30

itsbetterthanabox Fri 29-Jan-16 19:39:37

Mrsdevere.
I don't blame someone eating meat if they'll die otherwise.
We need nutrition. It doesn't need to be meat.
We need warmth. It doesn't need to be fur.
It's exactly the same.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 29-Jan-16 19:49:44

I have a friend who owns a fashion label that's traded on celebs and now stocks mostly items. She stocked mukluk boots when they were trendy and tried to get me to buy them as it was native Americans skinning baby rabbits so ok to her hmm

I've asked her for years can you do a good fake option. She has now done a parka with fake fur lining but real fur trim on hood.

She just cares about profit as her main fan base have moved on from silk slip dresses. Hence the fur.

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Jan-16 20:21:03

MaisyMooMoo Fri 29-Jan-16 20:25:04

Veganuary was more popular this year than it's ever been. I found this quite interesting, one person's experience.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/veganuary-i-was-dreading-giving-up-meat-now-i-can-t-find-a-reason-to-eat-it-a6837716.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now