Advanced search

Think I might've done a hit & run I'm scared!!

(136 Posts)
helloitsme12345 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:37:18

I'm a new driver and haven't been insured for long. I was driving past a car in a tight space in 2nd gear and all of a sudden i heard a sound to which I didn't pay much attention and I drove off. I looked back and the car had stopped, as I was in a hurry as I was doing school run I drove off and I later realised my wing mirror had been hit and it had been damaged. After I had dropped the kids to school which took about 5 mins maybe less I went back to that road hoping to see the car but it had gone. I'm quite worried the person might've taken my reg number and might make a claim! I've only been insured for less than a month so I'm quite worried. I really don't know what I should do, any tips?

IceBeing Fri 29-Jan-16 09:39:45

with kindness - you really need to stop when you hit something even if you are in a hurry. The safety of your vehicle might have been compromised and that is more important than being 5 mins late.

NerrSnerr Fri 29-Jan-16 09:39:53

You need to call 101 and tell them what happened. That is the main thing. Failing to report an accident is a criminal offence.

The chances are you hit another wing mirror and the person you hit will be pissed off but won't do anything but if they do report it it'll be much better for you if you report it first.

NerrSnerr Fri 29-Jan-16 09:41:05

Yes and as pp said, being in a hurry is no excuse not to stop. If you ever think you've had any kind of a bump you must stop as soon as it's safe.

leelu66 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:41:36

I later realised my wing mirror had been hit

Do you mean the other person hit you or you hit them? You seem reluctant to admit your responsibility.

You saw the car had stopped, so you really should have stopped. You could have explained to your school that you were involved in an accident. Doing the school run is not an excuse to just drive off.

If they make a claim against you, find out if there is a way to settle i.e. pay for damage yourself instead of going via insurance.

helloitsme12345 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:44:12

I know I should've stopped but like I said i only got my car recently and I know it's not right but I panicked and drove off which I really do regret

MusterMark Fri 29-Jan-16 09:45:04

Was the other car moving or stationary at the time? Was there a line in the middle of the road and were you or they straddling it?

NerrSnerr Fri 29-Jan-16 09:45:30

You 100% need to let the police know. If they got your registration number you could be in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident.

IceBeing Fri 29-Jan-16 09:45:34

really? You panicked? I am not sure you should be driving at all if your response to hitting something is to panic and drive off?

What's done is done - but do you think you would react the same way again?

HumptyDumptyHadaHardTime Fri 29-Jan-16 09:45:58

as I was in a hurry

Absolutely no excuse as to not to stop.

Failing to stop at the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.

helloitsme12345 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:47:31

I've learnt my mistake and in future I know what I should do.

Shutthatdoor Fri 29-Jan-16 09:48:12

I know it's not right but I panicked and drove of

If that is the way you react then you shouldn't be driving I'm afraid.

leelu66 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:48:30

What do you want us to say, OP? That it's ok?

It's not the end of the world and you've probably got away with it. But as someone who's had to replace my wing mirror cap 3 times, I can guarantee the person's car you hit is not thinking charitable thoughts about you right now.

I guess it happens to us all.

helloitsme12345 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:48:33

Both cars were moving

SummerHouse Fri 29-Jan-16 09:50:04

Don't worry. Call 101. Be truthful in everything you say. You could easily get away with it but you don't want it hanging over your head. You also don't get that many opportunities in life that really test you to do the right thing. Doing the right thing will always see you right in the end. Do it now and report back so I can say well done. smileflowers

BeetrootBetty Fri 29-Jan-16 09:50:58

I was sat in my car (parked at the side of the road) and a man drove past and clipped it.

He stopped and was really shaken, his wing mirror was totally smashed and hanging off but mine was fine.

It's perfectly possible that there was no damage to their mirror at all.

WaitrosePigeon Fri 29-Jan-16 09:51:28

I can understand why you panicked as a new driver.

Call 101 and just report. I'm sure nothing will come of it but you will feel better.

Have a cup of tea and calm down x

MrsEricBana Fri 29-Jan-16 09:56:02

I really understand. Do what Waitrose says then you'll have a clear conscience but I don't think anything will come of it.

PrimalLass Fri 29-Jan-16 09:56:45

You have 24 hours to report this to the police, so don't panic. Call them and call your insurers.

Patapouf Fri 29-Jan-16 09:58:31

If someone took your details, which is unlikely then there is nothing you can do about it. If they make a claim, they make a claim.
I think legally you are supposed to inform your insurance company though.
Next time, stop the bloody car if you hit something ffs.

And it wasn't necessary to revive a zombie thread from 2013.

SlightlyJaded Fri 29-Jan-16 09:59:59

confused two almost identical threads running this morning or are they same person with a NC?

Jules125 Fri 29-Jan-16 10:00:09

Some here are very unsympathetic; you have done something wrong but you know that (and who never does in life)? You can and should now try to put this right though.

For your own safety and peace of mind, I think you should report this to the police. Just tell them you did not realise that you had hit anything until you saw the damage to your car later. So long as the damage to your car is minor, I think they will accept this and just put you in touch with the other driver so that insurance can deal with this. Do this quickly so you can say you tried to put the problem right as soon as you knew.

If the damage to your car is less minor so it is not believable that you did not realise at the time, I would call a motoring lawyer asap (many will give brief advice for free) and before you do anything else.

It sounds like this is in the former category though.

SlightlyJaded Fri 29-Jan-16 10:02:50

patapouf but it's a different name that has resurected the old Zombie thread. I am so confused.

Also 'patafouf' was a word my lovely DDad used to use to describe someone who was a bit overly fond of cream cakes! English was not his first language but I thought his word was unique to him. Nice to see it.

Sallyingforth Fri 29-Jan-16 10:03:59

If they make a claim against you, find out if there is a way to settle i.e. pay for damage yourself instead of going via insurance.

Very bad advice!

If they saw your registration number they will get your name from the police (who will report you for failing to stop) or from their own insurance company who can check via the MIB. And you have broken your own insurance conditions by not reporting an accident to them.
As pp have said, these things happen to inexperienced drivers. You just have to big up and learn from them.

Cerealchanger Fri 29-Jan-16 10:05:12

You need to attend a police station to report it, not 101. And it needs to be asap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now