Talk

Advanced search

Angry over salad bar for free school meals

(209 Posts)
Jotim02 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:19:07

My son gets free school meals in KS1, the school lets them choose salad bar or hot school dinner. We thought he had been eating a hot dinner, until his friend came home for a play and told us he had salad bar.

Today he had a wrap - probably with added salt and sugar, cheese, raisins and carrots. For this the government was charged £2:30. Am I unreasonable to think the government are giving kids free school meals so they can have a hot dinner, not a sandwich?

The school say it's the kids choice what they have. My very unfussy son, has now become fussy because his friends have salad bar, so he wants it too and - doesn't like hot dinners.

I am really furious and thinking of writing to the catering company and David Cameron. It's mostly about the principle that the government is paying for this crap...

19lottie82 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:22:28

Really? I can't really work out what your problem is here. Sorry.

What's so great about a "hot dinner"? Do you even know what they were offered? Chances are the hot dinner may have been worse than what your son chose.

Personally I couldn't eat a hot sit down meal for lunch. I'd feel bloated and tired for the rest of the day.

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Jan-16 20:24:09

Surely the point of kids having FSM is that they are being fed at some point in the day? Some may not get breakfast etc. Why does it matter if it's hot or cold? It's a meal, and they are eating.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 28-Jan-16 20:24:44

What are you going to put in your letter?

19lottie82 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:02

Would you rather he had burger and chips?

PuntasticUsername Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:03

Hot meals aren't inherently more nutritious than cold, though. DS1 gleefully informed me he had sausage roll, mashed potato and spaghetti hoops the other day hmm

RubbleBubble00 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:31

Sounds quite a healthy lunch - don't see your problem

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:35

And unless the hot dinners are made from scratch on the premises how do you know what's in them?

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:36

It's food and he's having a meal he enjoys, I can't see the problem.

DilysPrice Thu 28-Jan-16 20:26:05

If you think that it's vitally important that he has a hot meal then order him to chose the hot meal option every day, and good luck to you.

ilovesooty Thu 28-Jan-16 20:26:29

The hot meal isn't guaranteed to be more nutritious.
Doubt if you'll get far with David Cameron either.

PurpleDaisies Thu 28-Jan-16 20:26:54

When I was in school I was so embarrassed about being on free school meals that I used to not eat lunch. Your son doesn't want to stand out from his friends. That's totally understandable.

Are you struggling up to afford to cook a hot meal in the evening? Is that why you're worried about his cold lunch?

ZiggyFartdust Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:10

You're going to write to Cameron to complain that your son has too many choices for his free lunch and doesn't choose what you would like?

Good luck with that you loon

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:13

Your son is choosing to have a healthy salad bar wrap for lunch. If he wanted a hot dinner he could have one.

I am struggling to see any problem with this at all. I would rather my dc had a salad bar option than pizza, or sausage and mash and beans, or pie and potatoes and beans, etc.

TurnOffTheTv Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:17

I honestly don't get this obsession about hot lunches/dinners. It's food, you eat it. Why does something hot make it 'better'

PuntasticUsername Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:18

Oh, and Arctic Roll. For once, it wasn't chocolate fudge cupcake day.

Akire Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:24

All bread has some salt and sugar in it so can't really see away around that. Schools do have eating guidelines so doubt it's going to be as say my or sugar as say a McDonald's bun.

Only1scoop Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:36

Yabu

If you insist on him having hot food then see if he can be assisted in his choice?

CalleighDoodle Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:48

My daughter gets a choice of hot meal or 5 cold items. The school always encourage hot meal first. But when ive done (late) drop of twice this week the options were burger or sausage and pizza. She likes none of that shite. Me neither.

Muskateersmummy Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:54

I'm guessing the problem is he didn't choose a lot from the salad bar? But I'm not sure that's the schools fault (not saying it's yours either btw)

For me, I would be quite happy with a salad bar being present as an option as they may not always want a hot dinner.

gamerchick Thu 28-Jan-16 20:27:59

I cant eat a hot lunch, some people don't want to. Let him pick his own grub and give him a hot meal when he gets in.

SolsburyHell Thu 28-Jan-16 20:28:10

Actually, I'm with you Op. On the days that I am in work ds should be having a hot school dinner and then I prepare him sandwiches etc for after school club as I wouldn't have time to prepare him a proper meal when I get in. I was also a bit miffed today when I realised he had been eating from the salad bar. I didn't even know they had a salad bar.

AnthonyBlanche Thu 28-Jan-16 20:28:25

I could see your point OP if your child was actually eating salad, but a wrap, raisins and cheese are not salad. Sounds like a perfectly acceptable lunch to me. Lots of hot school meals are revolting - cheap meat and far too many refined carbs and too much sugar.

AlwaysHopeful1 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:29:12

How ungrateful are you? Why don't you appreciate that your son is getting a meal. Very arrogant of you.

MsJamieFraser Thu 28-Jan-16 20:29:54

I dont get your issue, what to you think kids eat on packed lunches, and anyway OP the free school dinners for KS1 are being scrapped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now