Talk

Advanced search

to return dd clarks shoes?

(56 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Thu 28-Jan-16 18:53:54

I bought my dd clarks shoes for the start of the new school year in September. However, the last few weeks the part in the heel where the toy was is collapsing in on itself. I'm going to have to buy her some new shoes but would I be unreasonable to expect these £30+ shoes to last longer than 3/4 months? I've no idea where the receipt is but as they're faulty would I be ok to return them?

Buttercup27 Thu 28-Jan-16 18:56:15

Personally I think they have done well to last 4 months, if what the children get up to in our playground is anything to go by.

fastingmum123 Thu 28-Jan-16 18:56:33

You could try but they probably won't change them as they have been used. I stopped buying the toy ones for this reason. My son has managed to ruin his shoes recently so until I can afford some new ones he's in some cheap supermarket ones

Ughnotagain Thu 28-Jan-16 18:59:22

Clarks shoes are shite these days. They've changed the way they're manufactured apparently (gone down the mass-produced-cheaply-abroad route).

I had some brogues that fell to bits after only a few months. Absolute crap.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Thu 28-Jan-16 18:59:44

shoes for small children should last until outgrown imo.
if they still fit take them back.

SheilaTakeABow Thu 28-Jan-16 19:00:28

The same happened to me a few years ago - a hole where the bloody toy pouch was. They refused to give me a full refund as, according to their measuring, DS had conveniently gone up a size in two months (so much for leaving growing room hmm) so it wouldn't be a straight swap (double hmm). Offered 50% off a new pair. I did actually complain to head office but got nowhere. Still makes me bloody cross...

LIZS Thu 28-Jan-16 19:01:31

You are paying for the gimmick rather than the shoe. I think 3-4 months is considered normal at primary age. If you took her back I expect she'd have grown anyway.

SavoyCabbage Thu 28-Jan-16 19:02:25

I remember when these shoes with the toy in first came out that they sunk in where the toy compartment is.

anyoldname76 Thu 28-Jan-16 19:07:19

i wont use clarks ever again, they accused my mum of stealing after she returned a pair of shoes as they were both for a left foot, she was in tears

FeelingSmurfy Thu 28-Jan-16 19:10:19

If you do try, get them to measure her feet before mentioning, that way they can't claim she has outgrown them unless she has (going by what has been mentioned above and what happened to a friend)

DisappointedOne Thu 28-Jan-16 19:26:57

I bought DD (5) new school shoes at the start of December. 3 weeks wear and the heels have split and are letting in water. I'm taking them back. I expect more than 15 days out of a £30 pair of shoes! (Last year's lasted her all year!)

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 28-Jan-16 19:44:02

I think I'll go in to look at the shoes and get her feet measured as feelingsmurfy said and go from there. At the end of the day I know she's worn them everyday for school but usually they last much longer. I usually only get new ones when they've outgrown them. Thanks for the advice xx

SoThatHappened Thu 28-Jan-16 19:46:38

Toy pouches in shoes?

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 19:47:55

So shoes bought end of August? I make that nearly 5 months. Not 3.
Sorry. Shop will likely think you are taking the proverbial.
Shoes have had lots of wear.
Don't buy shoes with toys in for just this reason

gamerchick Thu 28-Jan-16 19:50:05

I'm having a weird de ja vu.

SoThatHappened Thu 28-Jan-16 20:00:21

Just looked them up....toys in the shoe heel where the actual shoe heel should be? Hollow instead of solid. No wonder they fell to bits.

anyone remember these? I felt like I had a deprived childhood as I wasnt bought a pair....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLz6glUfGc

SecretSpy Thu 28-Jan-16 20:04:25

I always refuse to buy the ones with toys in for this exact reason. It's a fairly common problem AFAIK. I've not had any issue with normal Clarks school shoes falling to bits, but the fitting at my local shop is a bit hit and miss.

MsJamieFraser Thu 28-Jan-16 20:06:57

There was a thread on here about these shoes a good few months back if I recall, they took them back also, but can remember a few people complaining about them.

If you google clarks shoes with toy and mumsnet there is lots of threads about them.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Thu 28-Jan-16 20:13:37

I'm with Wolfie. More than one school term...in the winter...

Just buy her new shoes, sturdy ones without a toy pouch.

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 28-Jan-16 20:17:51

My two dd have had the toy ones before and they've been fine. Obviously got a dodgy pair. Not sure I'll get clarks again to be honest, I have noticed the quality going down over the years. Any suggestions on what school shoes are better?

XiCi Thu 28-Jan-16 20:17:53

I'm sorry but I think taking a pair of shoes back that have been worn for 5 months by a primary age child is an absolute piss take.

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 28-Jan-16 21:02:19

Lovely XiCi

rosewithoutthorns Thu 28-Jan-16 21:05:40

A kid getting 5 months out of a pair of shoes is good going.

Icantstopeatinglol Thu 28-Jan-16 21:08:16

Yea rose you're right. I just wasn't sure. Normally they've lasted a lot longer so wasn't happy but fair enough if that's what most people think is the norm. Not sure what to get her? I'm thinking she may be heavier footed than my ds.

HPsauciness Thu 28-Jan-16 21:11:33

I wouldn't take back as 5 months since purchased, and all my kids school-shoes are showing signs of wear/leaking already...

But, the ones with the doll in the heel are very prone to this! I found the sole wears heavier, plus the inner sole bit starts to go to one side, as it is not fixed in like with the normal shoe (you should be able to pull it upwards with the little tab).

I always refuse to get the ones with the doll now, although as they are older it is not so much of an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now