to find this revolting? taking shoes off at work

(25 Posts)
thelifeofamber Wed 27-Jan-16 22:10:58

So I can just about cope with people walking around the office in their socks.

But to go to into the toilets still wearing just your socks is pretty revolting right?

lamiashiro Wed 27-Jan-16 22:11:55

Given the amount of piss on the floor, I wouldn't be going in there in my socks either.

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Wed 27-Jan-16 22:15:09

Ew. I hate it at soft play when my DC need the toilet, I always make them put their shoes back on first!

Why would you walk round the office with bare feet? With all the staples that fall on the floor and it's unprofessional.

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Wed 27-Jan-16 22:16:20

Sorry, not bare feet - I meant just socks although some might have bare feet.

lampygirl Wed 27-Jan-16 22:29:22

Office slippers! Much more comfortable than shoes but give you some protection.

Alicewasinwonderland Wed 27-Jan-16 22:33:08

I am pretty sure all offices I worked in had something about not being allowed to take your shoes off. The excuse was health and safety of course, but it was mainly because no one wants to smell stinky feet in the office!

Scarletforya Wed 27-Jan-16 22:34:23

Yuk. Dirty person.

Lookatyourwatchnow Wed 27-Jan-16 22:34:25

Meh. I do this. In bare feet too.

ActivelyAnxious Wed 27-Jan-16 22:37:11

Hmm. I did this yesterday because my shoes were absolutely squelching by the time I'd walked into work, so the first thing I did was take my shoes off to dry. I didn't fancy putting soggy cold shoes back on to nip down to the loo so I put my faith in a) the aim of the other women who use it and b) the conscientious nature of our cleaner...

scribblegirl Wed 27-Jan-16 22:41:44

I usually have my shoes off at work when I'm sat at my desk. It's comfy and I promise they don't smell! grin

I always put them on to walk around though! And wouldn't dream of going into the loo without them on!

Orda1 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:44:32

I sometimes take mine off at lunch for comfort, I don't walk around though. One of my relations had a teacher at their school that didn't wear shoes.

GruntledOne Wed 27-Jan-16 23:01:07

I've always preferred bare feet and of course it is much healthier for the feet. I'm quite sure that, as a result, my feet smell better than most people's. I do walk around the office like that, though probably not to go to the loo.

shazzarooney99 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:02:59

Look if its not you whats your problem? if people feel comfy doing that then thats theyre perogative to be honest.

HairySubject Wed 27-Jan-16 23:05:13

I have been in socks this week as my feet are aching from walking 5k in unsuitable boots. I do slip my flats back on for the loo though, just in case.

TwllBach Wed 27-Jan-16 23:06:00

I work in a school.. Shoes off in the management team is often a thing! I will sometimes slip mine off if I'm sitting down but won't walk around with them off.

ValiantMouse Wed 27-Jan-16 23:09:20

I walked around York in my bare feet and I'm still here.

MsVestibule Wed 27-Jan-16 23:12:53

About 25 years ago, I used to work in a ridiculously hot office with no ventilation. I wore a sundress and the sweat would trickle down my back and soak my chair, it really was that bad. I took my shoes off once - the person closest to me was about 4 metres away, but he still noticed the smell 😱.

The next day, I scrubbed my feet in the morning and smothered them in Body Shop Peppermint Foot Lotion. I confidently slipped my shoes off, only for him to say "Who's eating polo mints?" 😀

But no, now I'm a proper grownup, I would never walk around without shoes in an office, and certainly wouldn't go to the loo.

RiverTam Wed 27-Jan-16 23:12:58

Shoes off doesn't bother me, never worked with anyone who did this whose feet smelled. Going to the loo with no shoes on is pretty minging though.

BlackEyedPeas Wed 27-Jan-16 23:18:28

yeah, pretty reasonable.
have been wearing 12 cm heels since yr9 sad and now use them only for very official meetings, conferences and important events.
i do not see myself surviving 11 hrs a day, but comfy slippers are cool :-)

Me624 Thu 28-Jan-16 06:08:41

I sometimes slip my shoes off under my desk but always put them back on to walk around and definitely to the loo, bleugh. One of my colleagues walks around the office in her tights and I think it looks unprofessional. Especially as they often have holes in the toes hmm

whattheseithakasmean Thu 28-Jan-16 06:32:44

Keep a couple of pairs of nice court shoes/ballet pumps in you desk folks, it is not hard. I usually change out of my comfy commuter boots as soon as I get into work and put on 'indoor shoes'. It is not hard and much nicer for everyone, more considerate and professional than no shoes.

FelicityFunknickle Thu 28-Jan-16 06:37:42

This would not bother me.
Why would the floor in a women's loo be covered in piss?

MackerelOfFact Thu 28-Jan-16 06:41:26

Depends where you work really! Our office furnishings are a bit skanky so I wouldn't, but I've worked places I might consider it.

I usually wear trainers or boots to travel to work in and have a selection of flats under my desk that I change into. Comfy but smart enough for the office.

imwithspud Thu 28-Jan-16 06:52:06

Yuck, I'd hate this, bare foot would be even worse. Then again I don't like feet in general.

gamerwidow Thu 28-Jan-16 06:52:09

I don't see the need to do this. I you find your shoes too uncomfortable to wear all day you're wearing the wrong shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now