Advanced search

To not trust my doctor? Toddler illness related

(23 Posts)
Stoodonlegoagain Wed 27-Jan-16 21:03:36

I would like to start by saying I respect all Drs/medical professionals and know that my dr has more knowledge over illness than me, however when it comes to my DD I feel as her mother I know as well.

So DD's 18 months she has been constipated for about 3 weeks. Has been pooing little ones but very hard and a struggle just not right. Took her to the Drs after a week when her belly swelled up who said some kids just get constipation but it's fine.

Then she started throwing up, 3 days in a row, so got father in law to take her again to the Drs who was apparently reading a 'childhood illness' book and said the exact same thing to father in law that kids just 'get ill' checked her temp but that was it. She was last appointment of the day and Dr apparently hurried them out.

The night after she saw the Drs she had a nose bleed in the night that lasted a while and again in the morning. (Never had one before)

Called nhs direct who said take her to the GP.

I feel like an idiot going 3 times and for him to turn me away again. I don't think I trust him anyway.

does anyone have any experience / advice? She seems ok, expect moody and more tired but could be a number of reasons for this...

I don't want to be 'that parent' but I don't know if I should trust the GP and need to be told to get a grip and stop worrying I guess.

I've just started working FT so maybe it's the guilt talking. Don't even know why I'm posting maybe just needed a rant.. And to know if this is normal

lunar1 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:05:59

Has he actually examined your dd's abdomen?

Pandopops Wed 27-Jan-16 21:11:22

You need to see another Dr.
Either at the same surgery or a walk in centre.
Also ring Health Visitor first thing tomorrow and say - I need some urgent advice.

LittleMissUpset Wed 27-Jan-16 21:12:16

Doctors aren't always right, are there any others you can see, or a nurse practitioner?

Hope she feels better soon, you know your own child flowers

beautifulgirls Wed 27-Jan-16 21:12:47

Is there another doctor in the practice you can see? I would get a second opinion if that is possible. If not then I think you push the GP for a referral to a paediatrician to get a full review done and take it from there.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 21:15:06

If you aren't happy, listen to your instinct, yes children get constipated but constipation can be dangerous.

Hihohoho1 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:17:22

Go back and see another doctor. You can and it's your right.

You are not 'that parent' you are concerned.

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 27-Jan-16 21:20:42

Have they even prescribed anything for the constipation? Paediatric movicol?

I would take her to an A&E with paediatric section if possible. She must be in so much discomfort. To be constipated to the point of vomiting is very serious.

StitchesInTime Wed 27-Jan-16 21:24:00

I would try to see another GP in the practice. If your DD's health is not improving it's perfectly reasonable to go see a doctor again.

Theselittlelights Wed 27-Jan-16 21:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ColdTeaAgain Wed 27-Jan-16 21:28:46

Your GP sounds very unsatisfactory. Hopefuly it simply constipation, and the visiting may well be an unrelated tummy bug. Even so a good doctor should still be asking appropriate questions to ascertain that this is the case and giving advice.

Does your child get plenty of fluids? Drinking plenty with every meal as well as throughout the day and before bed.

Do they have enough fibre in their diet?

Do you think they are holding back doing a poo because it has become uncomfortable for them? If so this will eccacerbate the problem and sometimes laxative may be appropriate to break the cycle and help them get back to normal

Can you find a different GP? As it sounds as though your current one does not have enough time for their patients which is a worry.

ColdTeaAgain Wed 27-Jan-16 21:29:27

*vomiting not visiting!

Adeleslostbeehive Wed 27-Jan-16 21:32:00

AnotherGP. I am so frustrated with exactly this I am refusing to leave the appointment until physical checks etc have been made. I have also waited 3 weeks for appointments with GPs who have barely done a thing and I'm sick to the bad teeth of it.

pudseypie Wed 27-Jan-16 21:32:49

I would go to a&e. GP's don't have the experience to deal with bowel issues and they can't examine a belly like a paediatrician can. If your dd is vomiting from constipation then she should be seen. My ds has hirschsprungs so is constipated a lot and I know the GP's just don't have the expertise. For your own peace of mind too. If she is bunged up then she may need something prescribing to help. Is she drinking okay?
I wouldn't worry about seeking another opinion, you know your child best. I've persisted twice with my ds where I'm glad I did.

JellyMouldJnr Wed 27-Jan-16 21:45:35

Health visitor is a good idea. They are a lot more experienced about under twos.
What have you tried to relieve the constipation - I assume plenty of water/fibre/fruit juice etc? I would also try a pharmacist to see if there are any over the counter remedies available.

ChatEnOeuf Wed 27-Jan-16 21:47:56

If you, as her mum, are worried then you should seek medical advice/attention until you are reassured. It's entirely reasonable to get a reassessment - there's a new symptom, and presumably the other symptoms haven't gone away.

WitchWay Wed 27-Jan-16 21:50:44

GP's don't have the experience to deal with bowel issues and they can't examine a belly like a paediatrician can

Don't tar all GPs with the same brush pudseypie

Some of us are good at it and have twenty years' more experience than a junior paediatrician

Octonought Wed 27-Jan-16 21:53:39

As a GP myself, I take issue with the comment that we can't deal with bowel issues, and we can certainly examine an abdomen. What do you think we do all day long?? Or learn in our 10 years of training??

But saying that, no GP gets a diagnosis right first time every time. With a lot of illness, it takes time for symptoms to develop and only then can a pattern be recognised.

A&E does not sound appropriate and health visitors do not diagnose illness. I'd suggest seeing a different GP in the practice tomorrow. All GP surgeries will have emergency slots to see an ill child the same day.

Good luck.

lougle Wed 27-Jan-16 22:03:19

Have you been to the pharmacy? Warm drinks and glycerine suppositories well help. Or Movicol.

WitchWay Wed 27-Jan-16 22:10:53

Have a look at the ERIC website


messystressy Wed 27-Jan-16 22:13:50

I would go back. My DD screamed after every dairy feed, had a swollen tummy and rashes all over her and it took 6 months to get a referral. She pooed all the time, had awful wind, screamed and turned red. I must have gone to the doctor 6 or so times. Finally, I took my Dh with me, as back up and confirmation that I wasnt been neurotic, along with a video of her after dairy and FINALLY the doctor agreed to refer her.

Once I was referred and got the appropriate care, it was like I had a different daughter - she was so happy! - and I felt guilty that I didn't push harder earlier. I think parents know when something is not right.

(Ps. The Ellas kitchen prune squeezy pouches were great for constipation).

pudseypie Sun 31-Jan-16 09:35:23

I hope you got some resolution OP.

Sorry didn't mean to offend all GP's. Should have prefixed with 'in my experience '. I took my ds to 3 GP's over 2 days and if I hadn't insisted on hospital he wouldn't be here today to quote the surgeons who saved him.

londonrach Sun 31-Jan-16 09:37:52

Ask to see another doctor op. Hope dd better soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: