Talk

Advanced search

If you work only school hours....

(166 Posts)
NickyEds Wed 27-Jan-16 14:09:03

..but you aren't a teacher, what do you do?

Are there any jobs that fit in school hours and holidays that aren't in schools?

Kitsandkids Wed 27-Jan-16 14:23:54

I'm a foster carer. So actually I'm 'working' after school and weekends etc but I just really consider myself a SAHM, and I never need childcare in the holidays.

skippy67 Wed 27-Jan-16 14:25:22

Civil servant.

skippy67 Wed 27-Jan-16 14:25:58

I work term time too.

SlatternIsTrying Wed 27-Jan-16 14:31:28

I work a bit more than school hours but I am able to leave my DCs into school everyday before going to work and pick them up half of the week, the other half they go to childcare. I do have to work their holidays though and I put them into childcare more.

I'm a 'professional' type person working in an office.

clippityclop Wed 27-Jan-16 14:33:47

Same as Skippy. Lucky to have flexibse hours, works out same as half-time.

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 27-Jan-16 14:33:48

Self employed and work part time school hours and some saturday s. Maybe one in 8.

mejon Wed 27-Jan-16 14:44:40

I work Saturdays and Sundays in the town museum. Means we don't get to have much 'family time' at the weekends (but we didn't really 'do' anything particularly special even when I wasn't working) but it means all school holidays and any sickness days are covered.

Notthisnotthat Wed 27-Jan-16 14:47:03

Local Government part-time term-time, (was Fulltime in same job before first child born)

JohnLuther Wed 27-Jan-16 14:48:28

My wife used to, that was in a Pre-School.

NavyAndWhiteStripes Wed 27-Jan-16 14:48:34

Work part time in a university. I don't get all the school holidays, but DH and I between us can cover these pretty well as long as we don't take leave at the same time as each other!

hazeyjane Wed 27-Jan-16 14:49:16

I am a 1-1 in a preschool.

HeyYouGetOffMyCloud Wed 27-Jan-16 14:50:47

I work for a super flexible charity. I do work some holidays but not many. They know I work flexibily in return when I can.

Tournesol Wed 27-Jan-16 14:53:34

I am freelance and work as a writer and editor. Some weekend working when really busy but I only work school hours in the week and try and manage my workflow so I can take most school hols off.

nickEcave Wed 27-Jan-16 14:55:08

Part time administrator in a University working 18 hours over 3 short days. Really decent holiday allowances and college closure days mean I only need to put the kids in holiday club for a week or so over the summer and can cover all other holidays. I take them to school every day and they do after school club 2 days a week. Absolutely love my work-life balance - every day I think how lucky I am.

Diamogs Wed 27-Jan-16 14:57:26

Work for a small business owner as his assistant which involves everything from running the show when he is on holiday, to picking up his dry cleaning to doing payroll.

I work school hours, term time but can take a day off here and there whenever I want as I do pick up lots from home when I am not working.

Sleepingtom Wed 27-Jan-16 15:01:19

Local government. Part time admin job. Manage all school holidays bar a week ish officially, and I usually manage to wangle the rest by switching days. Not the most exciting of careers but I love my work life balance.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 27-Jan-16 15:03:00

I've set up my own business - a swim school. I teach preschoolers and adults only, day time only, term time only.

Terrifiedandregretful Wed 27-Jan-16 15:04:14

I don't think any teachers work only school hours!

LauraChant Wed 27-Jan-16 15:08:52

I'm a freelance journalist. I do end up working in the evenings too, sometimes.

budgiegirl Wed 27-Jan-16 15:17:49

I work from home as a cake decorator. Great to fit round the kids, only downside is there is a lot of weekend work - cake deliveries, wedding fairs, consultations etc, but DH helps out a lot with these, either doing them, or looking after the kids. Also, it sometimes feels like you are never away from work.

icanteven Wed 27-Jan-16 15:18:34

Self employed and work from home.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 27-Jan-16 15:21:56

Civil servant.

I have been told there is the possibility of working term time only, when I return from my extended mat leave.

AvaLeStrange Wed 27-Jan-16 15:23:37

I'm an office adminstrator/secretary at a large Surestart Centre/Nursery School.

DH also works TTO as head chef/catering manager at a private school.

Wizzysmum1 Wed 27-Jan-16 15:23:41

Work in a school office and I still get all the holidays off 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now