Talk

Advanced search

To ask for a pay rise.

(18 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 11:04:23

long story, but i currently do a cleaning job for a place i used to work full time in a different role.

I have been providing cover in both of my previous roles which require experience and knowledge (both of which i have).

Not really relevant but i am overqualified for all roles in a related area but not one that i could use to officially work as a "qualified" member of staff, and this restricts some of the things i am allowed to do. (that is another thread but am considering taking this training on although may not be possible).

Without blowing my own trumpet, im good at my job and i work really hard - it isn't without stress but i actually find being busy and having to problem solve enjoyable. I am always complemented on my work, clients and collegues like me and im often given additional responsibility.

I am paid minimum wage - this is because I was taken on as a part-time cleaner. I am now working 10 hours a week in my original role on top of the cleaning and as i said, cover holidays as and when required in other roles.

Being able to do a variety of roles makes me useful to the company and means they have saved £££ on having to use locums/agency workers or just saved them alot of hassle juggling holidays and sick pay.

I have hinted about more money when i have covered before but was told a straight no. I enjoy the job, and at the moment it gives me some flexibility with childcare etc so i don't want to leave, but honestly, i need more money. I know the other people doing the roles i describe are paid significantly more, although it is not an area of work that comes with high pay, i was hoping for some increase.

How would i go about asking so they take me seriously? management is very informal and this is problematic.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 11:08:30

Also there is to be a move (of premesis) and this will result in me no longer doing the cleaning and have been told i will be considered for more hours in my other role (although these may be problematic due to the times, cross that bridge etc). Do you think i should wait until this move takes place? there isn't a date yet.

FluffyPersian Wed 27-Jan-16 11:27:51

If you’ve been told a straight ‘no’, then I’d suggest your best bet is to unfortunately find other employment that’s as flexible as what you have at the moment.

If I were in your shoes, I’d have one last attempt at asking for a pay rise, whilst also job hunting. I’d look to find job roles that are very similar in regards to location and responsibilities and demonstrate that the ‘market rate’ for your skills are higher than what you’re being paid at the moment.

If I was told ‘no’ again, I’d then line up another role and hand in my notice. Sometimes no matter what you do, you won’t get a pay rise and if Management think that they can get someone else who will perform your job for the same money, they may not see any value in increasing your salary.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 11:31:15

Well, that wasn't what i wanted to hear, probably because you are right. The only difference was when i asked before it was when i agreed to do the cover and i asked if it would be at a higher rate. Will have to see what happens. There isn't much else similar in the area and a higher wage would require a commute, so is that even worth it? arrrgggh

SistersOfPercy Wed 27-Jan-16 11:33:45

I don't think you have got much to lose by asking tbh. If you don't ask you don't get and all that.
DH did it in a review meeting before Christmas. I was a bit shock that he'd done it at that time but they told him it would be considered. 2 weeks later they came back with a £5k rise.

Ask, but look around for a plan B I think.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 11:50:42

I think it will have to be plan B, but it makes me sad because i do love my job and my co-workers are great. It will never be a highly paid job but i know i am earning less than others doing the same job which does grate.

I don;t want to leave for a sideways move but there is really no chance of progression unless i "train" but it would be a bitter pill as i was actually teaching one of the modules on the course i would have to do, also where i work is no longer a training centre so it would be a major hassle for them to train me up and probably not worth it for them.

19lottie82 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:30:01

I think the problem is, cleaning is pretty much a NMW job so they don't have much motivation to offer you a pay rise. As others have advised, make one last formal request for a rise. If they say no then look for something else and hand in your notice when you find something. If they really value you then they will pay to keep you.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 12:37:49

i don't expect a payrise for the cleaning. But when i so the other roles then surely that isn't UR?

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Jan-16 12:39:53

They are exploiting you shock paying you less because you also do another lower paid job for them.

ComposHatComesBack Wed 27-Jan-16 12:56:04

What is the other job? If they are expecting you to do 10 hours as a surgeon or airline pilot for nmw then you probably have more scope to angle for a rise. If it is another job that tends to pay close to the nmw such as shop work, care work or what have you, probably less so.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 13:03:39

Compos - somewhere in between. grin

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Jan-16 13:12:47

Are there other people doing the higher paid job? Are they all men?

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 14:01:31

yes and no. Am going to ask for my money to be brought into line with them.

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Jan-16 14:19:35

Oh what a shame ;)
Yes I think that's fair. Why should you be paid less for doing the same job?

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 17:52:59

exactly! and doing the same job better than some, which has been acknowledged by the management They have already offered me more regular hours with the comment that they don't want to lose me............. but in the long term i think it will be a case of finding something new and not relying on the safe option all the time. I am highly qualified but unlikely to use my qualifications, i'd like to think i'm worth more than the minimum wage.

Sallyingforth Wed 27-Jan-16 18:10:12

You should never be afraid to ask for a pay rise, if you think you are worth it. If you don't ask, you don't get.

If your qualifications are not relevant to the work, then they won't count for a payrise. But the company know what you do and how well you do it. That should be worth more that minimum wage, especially if they expect you to make changes for their benefit.

Go for it.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 18:17:27

My qualifications do afford me an understanding of a lot of what happens at work which means i am in a position to explain things to clients rather than defer to a "qualified" member of staff, so sort of related and allow me to do my job better but could do the job without the qualifications perfectly well. However they aren't really relevant to the job and i wont use them. I think this has arisen as i took the cleaning on as a favour/bit of extra cash type thing and now i have other roles they ahve kept the money the same. The job would not have been offered to anyone at this level of pay i don't think.

blueshoes Wed 27-Jan-16 19:11:57

They have already refused your request for a pay rise. The only way is to look into plan B and get an offer and tell them adios.

They may or may not come back depending on how much they value your added skills.

I did this and my manager floated the idea of matching my new pay but they could not because I got a brilliant pay rise and promotion. They are now having to consider paying much more than they will had to get someone in with my seniority to replace me when they could got away with less but still a decent pay rise for me.

If employers are underpaying you, sometimes they have to learn the hard way. Don't be too sentimental about this job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now