Talk

Advanced search

To warn you all about the dangers of Foxgloves?

(261 Posts)
Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 21:41:11

Yes. I am unreasonable for sticking this in AIBU. Yes I'm fully aware that it's not at all unreasonable to warn someone about something dangerous.

Yes I'm also aware this post outs me, and so that's why I've name changed.

I'm hoping it's not against the rules to share a blog here? If it is, feel free to delete smile I shall take it like a woman.

Some of you may know the other me on here (since you know the story) please don't out me!

The story of what happened to DD2 last year

sootica Tue 26-Jan-16 21:52:27

Gosh. How very very terrifying for you.
We visited Alnwick Gardens in Northumberland last summer which has a "poison garden" (behind locked gates) and they give a talk about many poisonous plants. I was really shocked about so many common plants. Stories were told about people who had died or had close calls - you should ask them to include your DD's story in their talk. I remember one story about a couple who made a rhubarb pie and included the leaves - lethal and they died. You were so lucky that you knew what she had eaten, that it was dangerous and were able to get to hospital relatively quickly - how awful if your hospital had been closed down.

Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 21:53:56

Sootica, I cannot think about how long it would have taken to get to hospital without our local one. An hour and a half at least.

I will get in touch with them! That would be brilliant smile

Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 21:54:33

I should reassure everyone there are no adverts or anything on the page. It's just text and a couple of pictures.

cansu Tue 26-Jan-16 21:54:51

Oh god. How bloody awful. My dd is autistic and has form for eating leaves and stuff. Thank you for this as you have increased my awareness x10.

Celticlassie Tue 26-Jan-16 21:55:54

What a horrible story. I had my heart in my mouth reading it and am so glad your wee girl was ok. I vaguely remember hearing that foxgloves were poisonous when I was young, but had no idea just how poisonous.

Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 21:57:51

It's very good to know that something good can come out of this if it raises awareness.

Feel free to share it if you know anyone with small dcs.

Veterinari Tue 26-Jan-16 21:58:00

It's not unreasonable but surely most people know that foxgloves are dangerous?

Without meaning to sound arsey, you knew and your child still managed to eat some - knowledge doesn't always help - you don't have eyes in the back of your head.

It's easy to warn of the dangers of foxglove, yew, laburnum or whatever but unless you can always stop your child eating them or always recognise when they have eaten something toxic then I'm not sure how telling us foxgloves are poisonous actually helps (unless people don't know that?)

Glad Esme is on - it must have been bloody awful!

sootica Tue 26-Jan-16 22:00:50

They would definitely be interested to know at Alnwick as they seemed experts on poisonous plants and had a whole collection of tales and when your DD is older you should take her there! Nice beaches up there too to have a play on afterwards smile

weebarra Tue 26-Jan-16 22:00:58

How absolutely terrifying. Thank you for sharing.
There's truly nothing worse than your child being sick and how powerless it makes you feel. My DS2 went into heart failure (undiagnosed heart defect) at ten days old, he's a bouncy five year old now, but I wouldn't want to relive those days. The part about the clothes made me smile, DH and I had that same bicker!

Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 22:01:14

Veterinari you'd be astonished how many doctors and nurses had no idea. It's not something that would have occurred to them.

It was only because I knew that she was treated for the right thing. So knowing helped.

multivac Tue 26-Jan-16 22:02:01

OP, that is an extraordinary piece of writing. I am so glad your daughter is ok, and grateful that I have read this.

Outfoxgloved Tue 26-Jan-16 22:02:04

Weebarra smile bickering is a helpful distraction.

sootica Tue 26-Jan-16 22:02:06

veterinari i didnt know about foxgloves. And i must have been chasing my toddler and not paying attention when they mentioned foxgloves at the poisonous plants talk at Alnwick blush

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Tue 26-Jan-16 22:02:30

Thank you. I knew they were poisonous but probably would have thought they would just make them sick and not had a huge panic until I googled.

I'm so glad Esme just has a very good tale to tell her grandchildren one day.

SalemSaberhagen Tue 26-Jan-16 22:03:37

Oh my word, that is terrifying. So glad your DD is well again now flowers

BombadierFritz Tue 26-Jan-16 22:03:59

How horrendous. I'm so glad you realised what had happened - chilling!

pointythings Tue 26-Jan-16 22:05:14

I'm not so sure everyone knows about foxglove.

When DD1 started primary, I used to drop her off. Late spring came and I noticed that there was foxglove growing in the Reception playground. Where parents dropped off their children, often with toddler siblings in tow.

DD1 knew about foxglove - we both spotted it at the same time. I reported its presence to the school. They did not know about foxglove or how dangerous it was, not until they called in their caretaker who also did the gardening, and who did know about foxglove.

The plants were taken out and no-one was hurt. But the level of ignorance was startling.

Finlaggan Tue 26-Jan-16 22:05:30

Thank you for sharing. So please it has a happy ending & your DD is going to be OK.

I had no idea about foxgloves, we have them in the garden. I shall warn my children of the dangers this summer.

thanks

FelixFelix Tue 26-Jan-16 22:05:39

I had no idea they were poisonous.

How absolutely terrifying for all of you sad

Finlaggan Tue 26-Jan-16 22:06:23

Oh and how lucky your daughter is to have such a smart mum for knowing what it might be!

lcoc2015 Tue 26-Jan-16 22:08:16

I didnt know they were poisonous and its the type of thing i'd pick and put in a wildflower bouquet if i had access to them as i do think they look lovely. Good to know and thanks for sharing. I'm glad esme was ok

RonniePickering Tue 26-Jan-16 22:09:32

Unbelievable, so glad she's ok.

I didn't know they are poisonous.

shutupandshop Tue 26-Jan-16 22:11:40

Im glad little Esme made a full recovery. Thank you for sharing, thats made me much more aware. I would offer flowers but erm.hmm

megletthesecond Tue 26-Jan-16 22:12:51

shock. I knew they were poisonous but to be honest I assumed they just made you sick.

Poor Esme, what a thing to go through. And hurray for that ambulance driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now