Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you can run?

(67 Posts)
mrshyde27 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:59:51

Would love to go running, it's free and great for burning calories. Is it just me who sounds like a walrus with a cold after a couple of minutes? I gym three times a week and am reasonably fit and active. I just can't get the hang of it. confused

FishOn Tue 26-Jan-16 21:00:55

only if I clutch my bosom grin

Diddlydokey Tue 26-Jan-16 21:01:31

I did couch to 5k and got to running for 20 minutes without stopping albeit very very slowly. I was impressed with it

TheOnlyWayToEatSandwiches Tue 26-Jan-16 21:02:27

You're trying to go too quickly by the sound of it.

Are you heel-striking also? I used to and was terrible at running. I made the (painful) switch to forefoot striking and my running has improved tremendously.

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 26-Jan-16 21:03:16

I can run for nearly an hour straight on a treadmill but on the street I'm a mess after 10 minutes! I have to go running with friends or I just give up.

Pipbin Tue 26-Jan-16 21:03:21

I know it's what everyone says but get a couch to 5 k program I did it about 5 years ago. I used to be able to run for about 20 minutes at the gym but I found road running really hard.

SuperCee7 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:03:28

I did c25k and struggled doing a minute at a time at first. Really struggled. I completed it then stopped and I'm back at square 1 now. I've just started again!

MargotFenring Tue 26-Jan-16 21:03:49

Couch to 25k. I went from never ever exercising to completing a half marathon in 2.5 hours, in 19 weeks. Just whack the app on your phone and do what the voice tells you. Honestly, it changed my life.

emsyj Tue 26-Jan-16 21:04:42

I am very very proud to say YES I can!!! grin. I was like you for years - went to lots of exercise classes and felt I was reasonably fit and active, but couldn't run to the end of the street. After DD2 was born, I had to accept that I couldn't fit in going to exercise classes in the evenings any more, but I could fit in a 30/40 minute run a few times a week. So I did the couch to 5k. I didn't think I would EVER be able to run continuously for 5k, but now I run 4 miles regularly (will do more when the DDs are older and I have more time) and after quite a few months (nearly a year really) I actually enjoy it! Last Saturday, DH took the girls to swimming lessons at the leisure centre in the next town and I ran there to meet them. It was a lovely day, I had all my favourite tunes on the ipod - it was wonderful. Do it!!!

MaisyMooMoo Tue 26-Jan-16 21:05:36

Just the thought of running makes me keel over grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Jan-16 21:05:43

Try couch to 5k, and run really, really slowly. You might feel like you could walk faster, but its fine, you are learning to run.

I did c25k 3 years ago having never been able to run. I've run ever since and will do my first marathon in April smile

MargotFenring Tue 26-Jan-16 21:05:51

I have just started it again actually, as due to various life events I have not run in 9 months.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:05:58

I did c25 a year ago. I have kept it up, and run 5k parkruns every Saturday but my god I find it hard, along with the two training runs in the week. I am not a natural, sadly.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Tue 26-Jan-16 21:18:19

I can't run - wish I could.

According to my DH, I run like a duck...confused

sootica Tue 26-Jan-16 21:26:01

I thouhgt i couldnt then DH took me out and coached me and said "we'll just go round the block a few times"
WHAT i said thats about 3km i cant do that! I cant run to the end of the street
Anyway it turned outi was running Way way way too fast
He kept telling me to slow down until i was virtually walking at times. And i did three laps of the 1km block. I asked how he knew how fast i should go. It was whenever i got out of breath - i thought i was meant to be out of breath
When you start running you should aim to always be able to talk without gasping even if this means you are a fraction above walking and get overtaken by mobility scooters. Even if yiu can manage slightly faster warm up at that pace and cool down at that pace.

Bea Tue 26-Jan-16 21:42:18

It's great to hear about how fast... Slow you should go...
I started c25k a month or two before Christmas and was actually beginning to enjoy it... Repeated week 3 a lot!! Then my knee seized up so took a break over Christmas and have started at week 1 again this week! It's disheartening to start again... I could run for 3 whole mins before!! And now back at square 1!angry
Like I said... It's good to hear it's not about speed... And the talk without gasping as I get it in my head you're supposed to be out of breath!
OP... Give it a go!

teeththief Tue 26-Jan-16 21:43:11

I can't! I've tried couch to 5k four or five times and can never get past whichever one is before the 20 minutes running. I feel sick and can't breathe no matter how long I try and do it

ghostyslovesheep Tue 26-Jan-16 21:50:43

keep going and build up

I do an outdoor boot camp twice a week (and an aerobics class) and I have built up my running through that

I started running on other days - I can now drag myself around about 3k in 20 mins - not fast but no stopping or struggling to breath - 12 months ago I'd have died after 1K

Just keep doing a bit at a time - find somewhere nice to run - I use our park as it's free parking, massive and loads of varied routes - keeps it interesting which distracts you

I can't run with music - I need to hear myself!

ghostyslovesheep Tue 26-Jan-16 21:51:56

I'd also try running with a friend - I breath a lot better if I'm yacking !

TheGreatSnafu Tue 26-Jan-16 21:52:27

Not even if an axe murderer were chasing me in a hockey mask.

Tanfastic Tue 26-Jan-16 22:00:39

I started the couch 25k four weeks ago. The hardest week so far has been the first week, honestly! I couldn't even run for 60 seconds and thought I'd die in that first week.

I'm now on week four and running for a full five minutes in one go.

It really seems to be working and I'm the biggest sceptic.

BolshierAryaStark Tue 26-Jan-16 22:04:37

Yes & do a couple of times a week, maybe you've gone at it too hard & fast so perhaps start very slowly & build up?

BolshierAryaStark Tue 26-Jan-16 22:05:46

Agree with running with someone, for some bizarre reason feels loads easier with someone to gas to grin

trixymalixy Tue 26-Jan-16 22:13:31

I can run. I started when I was relatively fit, but could only run for a few minutes then had to walk. I was going far too fast. I slowed right down and then managed to run 5k, which i was ridiculously proud of.

Vanderwaals Tue 26-Jan-16 22:14:49

I absolutely cannot run long distance.
I can do short 2 minute sprints. With walking in between. But cannot run for any longer than that. sad
I've tried c25k loads of times but I can't get past 2 minutes. It's odd because I'm fit in general, I go to the gym regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now