Talk

Advanced search

advice needed about DS (3 years)

(9 Posts)
Twinkie84 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:24:55

This isn't a Aibu but wasn't getting much of a response in other thread so though I would post here - please be nice!!

Hi,
Some advice is needed. Having collected DS2 from nursery tonight; I was pulled aside to talk about the lack of listening skills my 3 year old is showing (he turned 3 last week). They said it needs to be addressed as it's isn't happening all the time. They asked me how they want them to tackle this 'issue'!

This is where I am stumped as they made me feel that this is a major problem for him and I feel as I am failing him as a parent! I have returned home tonight incredibly upset! He is a lovely little boy; who has lots of friends at nursery but can be fairly lively at times but otherwise he sleeps and eats as he should do. I have an older son (6) who is always very quiet and shy.

Can anyone give me any sound advice to be able to help him or is this something that he will develop as he grows up!

Thank you for reading

LIZS Tue 26-Jan-16 20:26:28

Has his hearing been checked? I don't think many 3yo can concentrate for long.

Sirzy Tue 26-Jan-16 20:29:31

He is 3, very few 3 year olds will sit and listen for more than a few minutes!

Graceymac Tue 26-Jan-16 20:30:41

He is three, my three year old has a tough time listening too. Is his behaviour disruptive or worrying in some other way? If not I wouldn't worry, I am sure that he isn't the first three year old in the nursery not to listen. If he appears to not hear you could have his ears checked out, my DDs 1 and 2 both had glue ear which affected their hearing. I thought they were just ignoring me. If it is just toddler behaviour he will improve with time, don't worry!

Twinkie84 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:31:37

That is something that my DH has suggested so I think I may see about getting an appointment for him.

I also was under the impression that concentration wasn't high on a 3 year old's agenda but his nursery seem to think he is the only one that can't listen and follow their instructions. I have seen him at home concentrating for a good 15 mins at play-doh, reading books, playing with his cars!

RubbleBubble00 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:34:03

Is it that he doesn't following instructions, like tidy up ect so becomes disruptive as other kids follow suit?

Sirzy Tue 26-Jan-16 20:34:13

I would turn it back on the nursery, ask them what they are going to be doing to try to engage his attention? If they think it's a problem then they need to look at the activities and things they are trying to get him to do and try to figure what will help him.

Diddlydokey Tue 26-Jan-16 20:36:12

We went to a third birthday party when ds was 2.9 & I was horrified that ds didn't listen or follow instruction at all. Now at 3.5 he is so much better - I think aside from getting older and maturing I think playing orchard games, card games and other board games really helps.

It helps to learn to take turns

CrohnicallyAspie Tue 26-Jan-16 21:10:24

My DD is 3 and can listen, but when she's engrossed in something she either ignores you or genuinely doesn't hear you. I think this is quite usual for their age, I'm sure it's in the foundation stage profile things that a 3 ish year old will struggle to 'listen and do' or to switch their attention from one to the other.

But it's probably more of a concern in a nursery environment eg if they need the children to stop what they are doing to tidy up.

I use her name to get her attention before attempting to speak to her, or if that doesn't work I try: gently touching her, pausing the TV/game, moving into her direct eyeline, saying something really random and exciting like 'what is THAT?'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now