Talk

Advanced search

To hate when companies try to upsell?

(23 Posts)
imwithspud Tue 26-Jan-16 17:57:54

Is it so wrong to just want to buy an item online (a dishwasher in this instance) without the company I bought it from calling me up the next day trying to hard sell me 'optional extras'?

ImperialBlether Tue 26-Jan-16 17:59:53

I hate this, too. I had to go to a Vodafone shop for something yesterday and they were hassling me about changing to their broadband. Last week I took my car to be serviced and they tried to upsell with three different things, none of which I needed. One of them was £400!

Muskateersmummy Tue 26-Jan-16 18:01:25

I'm a salesperson so nope, it's their job, I just politely decline. Pushy not listening continuously up selling after the no... That annoys me.

AssembleTheMinions Tue 26-Jan-16 18:02:50

It was AO wasn't it? grin

I find them excellent, great prices, fast delivery and usually cash back. I never answer the phone to the sales call though.

The80sweregreat Tue 26-Jan-16 18:15:29

Restaurants and coffee shops are the worst. Drinks first up, so you need another drink with the food ( i order tap water in a jug! ) pushing the specials board, recommending starters etc etc. i hate buying white goods, always the extras on top being pushed too. Its all a nightmare..

JohnLuther Tue 26-Jan-16 18:17:33

Every fucking time I go to Debenham's etc they try to push their cards etc, I know they have no choice but it's getting tedious.

The80sweregreat Tue 26-Jan-16 18:19:06

Do you have a loyalty card? I love Asda, no such thing there.

LadyLuck81 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:25:32

I once walked out of curry's part way through purchasing an appliance. The sales chap had asked twice if I wanted extended warranty I said no. He asked again and I said a third no and then Said that if he asked me to buy anything other than the appliance I'd come for I was leaving as it was all I wanted. He asked again at the till so I left. I wasn't rude just irritated. I bought it online from boots in the end. No hassle.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 26-Jan-16 18:37:08

Virgin Media do this. All the fuckin' time. They phone endlessly to offer 'loyal customer deals' but are in reality trying to flog more expensive, unwanted services. I'm thinking of changing my TV/phone/broadband provider because of it. You can't interrupt them because they have to restart reading their script and they sound all cheery like they're doing you a massive favour. Unless you are phoning to tell me about a big discount to my bill, STOP BLOODY PHONING ME!

unimaginativename13 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:37:20

Got stalked about GAP Insurance after buying a car.

Never even confined my name, next thing I know I got a letter confirming my purchase and direct debt.

Obviously went ballistic and cancelled the DD. Made a complaint, just got a letter to say as I had cancelled DD they assumed the matter was resolved.

CallieTorres Tue 26-Jan-16 18:39:59

every time we go to McDonalds "no i dont want a large meal"

Lisawantsacat Tue 26-Jan-16 18:40:37

I used to work in a pub where, if someone ordered a spirit, we had to ask if they wanted a double. No discount to buying 2 shots at once. I thought it was really irresponsible and tacky, but if a mystery customer reported you hadn't you could lose your job! (A certain colour of royalty brewery twats)

imwithspud Tue 26-Jan-16 18:52:01

It was AO wasn't it?

Got it in onegrin their prices are good and I've heard good things about their service in general but I said no to what ever extra the guy on the phone was trying to sell me (glossed over the part where he acted like he was doing me a favour and was reading from his script) then he asked why, I explained, then he tried again. Said no again. It just makes me feel awkward and somewhat bad about saying no! I'll know for future reference not to answer that phone call in future!

I totally get that it's their job and I don't have a problem with that. It's the companies and the people who make the rules that I get annoyed at and clearly I'm not the only one.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 26-Jan-16 18:58:08

WH Smith's do it and I try to avoid going into them for that very reason.

I'd like to buy a paper without being bombarded without an invitation to buy a bar of Galaxy the size of a surfboard for 'only £2'.

unimaginativename13 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:29:40

To be honest Upselling is a massive part of the business and the have targets to hit!

unimaginativename13 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:32:05

Also a tip for the Currys thing, ask for a discount if you take out the insurance or warranty thing. Then ring up and cancel when you get home within the 14days.

LadyLuck81 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:34:14

Oo. I like that Unimaginative. Using it to my advantage would be something I could live with!

headsshouldersbarestbum Tue 26-Jan-16 19:54:48

Even shoe shops are at it. One shop will put the bottles of rip off cleaner next to your shoes when you go to pay for them at the till in the hope that youll but the overpriced washing up liquid as well.

I already have trainer whitener. Its called my washing machine.

imwithspud Tue 26-Jan-16 20:01:00

Okay, upselling fair enough. But when I say no I mean no! I had the same thing in Curry's just after Christmas. I bought a new laptop and the guy asked about three times if I wanted to take out cover. It's annoying and patronising.

Regardless of targets If someone says no then they shouldn't keep trying to press the matter, imo.

emwithme Tue 26-Jan-16 20:09:34

Even the scan-your-own tills in WH Smith bloody try to sell me chocolate I don't want, it's like the worst of both worlds.

imwithspud Tue 26-Jan-16 21:51:40

Naively I thought that by shopping online I could avoid all the upselling to be honest.

Adarajames Tue 26-Jan-16 23:56:05

I was shocked recently when bought a laptop in currys, and not one mention of extended guarantee!! shock

Babymamamama Wed 27-Jan-16 00:02:40

In savers they always try to upsell perfume when I'm just stocking up on cheap cleaning products. Feel like saying do you think I smell?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now