Talk

Advanced search

To pull up my neighbour for noise, even though we had people over last night...

(138 Posts)
rockabella Mon 25-Jan-16 17:18:34

My DP invited some friends around to watch a sports PPV last night that started at 1am. They are a nice bunch, had a few beers between them etc but nobody was overly drunk or particularly rowdy. I was asleep in the bedroom next door so would have woken up if this was the case and they knew I was up early hence another reason for keeping the noise down.

I WAS woken up though by the son of the couple upstairs who must have been jumping up and down on his floor, and hammering at it in a response to what my DP said was them cheering at the TV. The banging continued for the next hour to the point it was shaking the light fittings and has now continued sporadically throughout today.

We are generally quiet people, rarely have people over and are in the process of moving house. We've never had any run ins with the folk upstairs and they've always been pleasant to us. Their son however has never spoke a word to us so I don't know much about him other than he is in his late teens/early 20s.

AIBU to want to pop a note through the door or have a word even though we were the ones who had people over last night and may have woken the son up? I can understand he might be a light sleeper and the one loud cheer might have stirred him, but to continue for another hour, and then today seems ridiculous.

ArmchairTraveller Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:17

How about an apology from your OH as he and his friends were obviously rather louder than you thought.
Then perhaps next door will also apologise for over-reacting.

Vaginaaa Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:23

YABU. Just because you slept through the friends doesn't mean it wasn't loud enough to disturb your neighbours.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 25-Jan-16 17:24:37

I think your dp should apologise if they were loud enough to wake the neighbours. If he apologises then it might defuse the situation.

I was up watching the wrestling with my 2 oldest dc last night too, but we managed to remain quiet enough to not annoy anyone.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Mon 25-Jan-16 17:30:02

You Really can't complain about noise if you are noisy too

ArmchairTraveller Mon 25-Jan-16 17:33:22

The sports thing started at 1am, for several hours? So the drinking and cheering did too?
That would have sent my DS into meltdown and he might well have responded by hammering back. An apology might be the best way of heading off trouble.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Mon 25-Jan-16 17:38:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiggytape Mon 25-Jan-16 17:40:30

YABU - Neighbour was retaliating at being woken up by a group downstairs who started watching a sport at 1am on Sunday night and were cheering and talking (loudly enough to wake him up even if you managed to sleep through).

Maybe he shouldn't have banged on the floor or got cross but you can't moan about him waking you up when your DP and friends woke him up first with their noise.

rockabella Mon 25-Jan-16 17:40:51

DP and friends were definitely reasonable with the noise, we have elderly folk below and on the other side of the lounge so we are always considerate on the rare occasions people are over. They had 12 beers between 7 of them, 2 non-drinkers so none of them were drunk so to speak.

I should have said this loud cheer was at the very end of the PPV and so the banging continued long after his friends had left! I feel bad that they woke him up, but thumping on my ceiling all day seems very dramatic! I would obviously apologise (either in note or in person) but would it still be unreasonable to mention the sons reaction too?

Bailey101 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:41:40

If I was woken up in the early hours by cheering and carrying on, I'd be really angry. I'd be absolutely incandescent with rage if the people who woke me up had the brass neck to complain about me trying to shut them up. Have some consideration next time, and don't have shouty people over at stupid o'clock in the morning on a Sunday night.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Mon 25-Jan-16 17:42:05

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Mon 25-Jan-16 17:42:38

Yes. Still unreasonable.

Bailey101 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:44:15

Yes, yabu to want to grass him up to his folks - if you do speak to them about this, it should be to apologise and promise that it won't happen again. Nothing more is needed then that.

JakeBallardswife Mon 25-Jan-16 17:45:43

7 people over in the middle of the night is going to be noisy. You were lucky to sleep through it. I'd say nothing about your neighbours noise.

ArmchairTraveller Mon 25-Jan-16 17:46:11

Well, you are moving out soon, so if DP doesn't want to apologise, you'll only be glared at for a couple of weeks. You were asleep, you have no idea how many times they cheered, and presumably the noise is louder if you are in the room above them, rather in an adjacent room with the doors shut.
Either way, the neighbour's OTT response was because your DP and his mates WBU.

Pipbin Mon 25-Jan-16 17:46:41

There is a difference between a constant burbling of noise which is what you could hear and could sleep though and being woken up by the occasional loud cheer.
Also, 12 beers between 5 (given that two didn't drink) means two beers each, enough to put you over the drink drive limit I think.

In summary you want to complain that someone woke you up by complaining about the noise coming from your flat.
You are being very unreasonable.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Mon 25-Jan-16 17:48:18

ghostyslovesheep Mon 25-Jan-16 17:49:52

Yeah your DH and his mates where my neighbour last Monday night - 3 mates round - watching TV

they kept me awake with low level noise (talking, TV the occasional shout) until 1am when I went and slept in one of my daughters rooms

I am sure HE thought he was being quiet and well behaved but sound travels

that said I didn't react like your neighbour but I still think you may be BU

WorraLiberty Mon 25-Jan-16 17:51:23

If the banging continued for an hour afterwards and sporadically throughout the day, perhaps it has nothing to do with the noise coming from your home?

Whatever you decide to do, do not put a note through their door. Just speak to them.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Mon 25-Jan-16 17:52:18

rockabella Mon 25-Jan-16 17:53:13

None of the drinkers were driving so no worries on that front!

The layout of upstairs means the sons room is at the opposite side of the building rather than directly above our lounge, so he had to either have been sleeping in there or gone in their to make his point.

I can 100% understand about him being annoyed at being woken up, don't get me wrong, nobody likes that and I'm a light sleeper myself but to continue after folk have left, and during today just seems a bit odd, and it makes me a little nervous about approaching him even to apologise whilst his parents are away.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 25-Jan-16 17:53:56

How would you be 'pulling them up'?

You wouldn't be

Kirkenes Mon 25-Jan-16 17:54:19

I can't see how it would be possible for 7 blokes to watch ppv at 1 in the morning quietly confused
Sorry but you are being unreasonable.

You neighbour sounds unreasonable too.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Mon 25-Jan-16 17:54:36

rockabella Mon 25-Jan-16 17:55:40

headmaster

The parents are away atm so just him in the flat. They moved here for him to attend college so it's only a 1 year rental and they go back to their own home for a week here and there.

It was a last minute get together otherwise I'm sure my DP would have let them know, it's rare for us to have people round but we've always let folk know in the past if anyone is coming round or if we are having a BBQ in the shared garden etc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now