To be sickened to hear all the tributes being paid to Cecil Parkinson

(233 Posts)
wasonthelist Mon 25-Jan-16 17:07:12

The "father" who refused to have anything at all to do withhis daughter -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12120477/The-only-promise-Cecil-Parkinson-ever-kept-never-to-see-his-daughter.html

wasonthelist Mon 25-Jan-16 17:07:49

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12120477/The-only-promise-Cecil-Parkinson-ever-kept-never-to-see-his-daughter.html

Hihohoho1 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:11:47

I think your post is in extremely bad taste.

wasonthelist Mon 25-Jan-16 17:12:36

Why? What's in bad taste is all the people lining up to say how great he was.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Mon 25-Jan-16 17:12:56

YABU to be 'sickened'. Bit overly dramatic. Save 'sickened' for the many horrors happening in the world today in the name of religion etc - you won't have to look too hard to find any number of things.
Unless you know his daughter? Do you?

AnUtterIdiot Mon 25-Jan-16 17:14:05

I don't. It was a scandal, the way he disowned his daughter. She was disabled and Sara Keays had to fight him through the courts every time their daughter needed something. He punished an innocent for his own bad behaviour.

MiniCooperLover Mon 25-Jan-16 17:14:35

No I agree with wasonthelist, he had that injunction granted to try and save his career, it was draconian and the fact he felt his daughter should be institutionalised is disgraceful.

wasonthelist Mon 25-Jan-16 17:15:02

No I don't know his daughter but I regard anyone who treated their daughter like that the same. Thedouble standards are/were sickening.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 25-Jan-16 17:17:19

PS I don't know about the OP but no, I don't know his daughter; yes, I am capable of being horrified by more than one horrible thing at a time; yes, I do have a strong aversion to parents who bring children into the world and then don't support them unless there is a bloody good reason why they're not (like not being able to cope themselves); and the OP is not alone as lots of people were appalled by his treatment of both of them at the time that the affair became public knowledge.

JaneHair Mon 25-Jan-16 17:17:34

Yanbu OP! He tried to hide and silence his disabled daughter. He was a complete shit. And I too felt sickened after reading tributes about him on Twitter this afternoon.

megletthesecond Mon 25-Jan-16 17:18:32

I've been a little hmm at all the condolences being over the news. I remember what happened, not sure if he ever had a relationship with his daughter in the end.

JellyTotCat Mon 25-Jan-16 17:19:39

Yanbu

yankeecandle4 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:19:47

I have never heard of him blush but after reading about his poor daughter I think YANBU.

NewLife4Me Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:12

It's disgusting, tbh. Poor child having to grow up like this.
I hope the rest of the family come good for her now and finally make amends for what her father did to her.

Andrewofgg Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:17

Both parents got the injunction.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:35

I'm a Tory through and through. But I agree, what he did was, putting it mildly, a scummy, shit way to behave.

Inertia Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:37

It's possible to be sickened by more than one thing. And using the weight of the courts and the might of government to deprive a child with disabilities of her rights, and silencing the child's mother, and forcing the child's mother to fight for everything the child needed, are all pretty sickening in my book.

FaFoutis Mon 25-Jan-16 17:22:54

yanbu. revolting man.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Mon 25-Jan-16 17:24:36

yanbu

he will always be remembered as the man who had an affair with his secretary and disowned his own disabled daughter

whatever his political success it will always be over shadowed by this

not really surprised this is what happens when people die others forget what pain and misery they created unless it impacted them

AgentProvocateur Mon 25-Jan-16 17:24:44

I agree that his behaviour was despicable, and YANBU to be sickened by the tributes.

Curlywurly4 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:24:50

I haven't heard of him either but YANBU shocking thing to do to your child.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 25-Jan-16 17:24:56

Yanbu. He behaved very very badly throughout the entire matter.

batshitlady Mon 25-Jan-16 17:27:56

I'm with you 100% OP. It is sickening..

I feel terribly sorry for Sara Keays and her daughter Flora, who is disabled and must now be about 31?. She never saw her father nor heard from him. Parkinson put his political ambition first, and to hell with his own child.

He even took out a court order to silence her.

AgentProvocateur Mon 25-Jan-16 17:29:37

Flora is not mentioned alongside his other three daughters by the family spokesman confirming his death, so I guess he never acknowledged her.

fakenamefornow Mon 25-Jan-16 17:30:14

Just read the article and yanbu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now