Talk

Advanced search

To move jobs to an area where DD may not get into school?

(6 Posts)
LouisVuitton Sun 24-Jan-16 21:16:53

This is probably more WWYD rather than AIBU but I am really not sure what to do.

I'm waiting to hear back from a job interview I went to recently. It's for a position 12 miles away from where DD and I currently live. I love my job at the moment but I currently hold a lot of resentment towards the person I work for. Before she took over 18 months ago I could easily see myself staying with the company for the rest of my working life, slowly climbing the ladder at the same time. Since my boss took over, I see myself staying in the same position for the next 5 - 10 years which is not what I want. The position in this other company is a step up from where I am now.

The issue is that I'm currently waiting for the 1st March allocation for DD's secondary school placement. We're hoping for a place at a grammar school 23 miles from here but in the same direction as this job I've applied for so it would be perfect if I got the job and DD got a place at the school as moving house has always been my plan anyway.

If DD does not get a place at this school, our second choice school is 18 miles from where we currently live but in the opposite direction. Jobs in my sector don't come up often which is why, when I saw the vacancy, I applied on a punt. I know I may not get offered the job but it's only between myself and one other person.

So, if I get offered the job, WIBU to accept it even though DD hasn't been offered a place yet? If I did stay in my current job, commuting with DD at either school is possible but not so much with the potential new job.

Ps I am easily identifiable from the above in real life so if you do recognise me please just keep it quiet.

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:25:33

Personally i wouldnt risk it - the timings are a bugger

OvertiredandConfused Sun 24-Jan-16 21:52:29

Would you have to move house straightaway? If feasible, I'd accept the job if it was offered and then hope she got the school nearby.

You can chance your choices at any time before offer date so you could try a closer school to your new job or you could stay living where you are and commute until she starts her new school then find somewhere that works for your job and her school.

LouisVuitton Sun 24-Jan-16 21:52:48

The timing really is shitty sad

In 6 weeks' time it would be perfect as I'd know where we stand. I hate the house we love in at the moment but I'm not moving until I know where DD is going. I feel like I'm in a constant state of limbo.

titchy Sun 24-Jan-16 22:10:10

Why can't you take the job and stay where you are? 12 miles isn't much of a commute. Your dd will be commuting further than that if she ends up with second choice.

LouisVuitton Sun 24-Jan-16 22:22:44

There's nothing wrong with staying where we currently live but in an ideal world I didn't want DD to have that much of a commute so had always planned on moving closer to whichever school she got in to, with me taking the brunt of traveling. Additionally, I'm not sure my budget would stretch to two commutes of that size.

Also house prices where we currently are are quite high compared to surrounding areas and whilst I'm renting at the moment, I was going to be in a position to buy in the not too distant future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now