Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help or experinces of men taking roaccutane and aggression?

(14 Posts)
Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 20:29:44

My h has been taking roaccuatane since late November. He has been a lot more volatile and aggressive and things have really gone pear shaped between us. Does anyone have any experience of this? I am at the edge of leaving him as these problems were present before but have got markedly worse. He has refused to come off them and says I should support him. He has been really quite scary towards me. Advice welcome.

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 20:57:34

Anyone...

JemimaHighway Sun 24-Jan-16 21:00:14

I'm sorry, I don't know what roaccutane is.

Hopefully someone will be along in a minute with some advice.

However, in the meantime, if he is being aggressive, then I think you ought to get away from him. Have you got support in RL or somewhere to go?

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 24-Jan-16 21:01:35

LTB.

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:07:49

Thanks both . I have actually got a house to move into shortly but I am pretty devastated about leaving our home and the fall out for the dc. Clutching at straws I guess. Roaccutane is a very strong anti acne drug but I think I'm spelling it wrong

AlwaysHopeful1 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:09:07

I was on roaccutane for a year and went from being either irritable to depressed. The mood swings are a well know side effect of this medication. How long does he have left to complete it? It's not fair on you to put up with threats of violence however.

Birdsgottafly Sun 24-Jan-16 21:12:19

This is from their Website.

""Depression, depression aggravated, anxiety, aggressive tendencies, mood alterations, psychotic symptoms, and very rarely, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and suicide have been reported in patients treated with isotretinoin (see section 4.8). Particular care needs to be taken in patients with a history of depression and all patients should be monitored for signs of depression and referred for appropriate treatment if necessary. However, discontinuation of isotretinoin may be insufficient to alleviate symptoms and therefore further psychiatric or psychological evaluation may be necessary""

You and your children shouldn't have to live with this. The issue is that he doesn't see a problem big enough to address it.

He's giving you no choice, but to leave.

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:13:07

Thanks bird flowers

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:15:10

Always, he has 2 months. I doubt he would contact his gp or tell his dermatolagist he has a history of depression

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:15:39

Should i cobtact the gp?

Borninthe60s Sun 24-Jan-16 21:37:02

I would make and app to see his GP. They can't discuss him but you can and ask that your concerns are documented, they might call him in then.

AlwaysHopeful1 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:45:38

I didn't suffer with depression, but it just made me feel extremely down a lot. About a month or two after I stopped I just got back to my normal self. However I just didn't expect my Dh to put up with it. If I felt really extreme I would just take some time out.

Theladyloriana Sun 24-Jan-16 21:53:15

That's interesting thanks for sharing always. He has always has difficulty recognising his anger levels and would blow up seemingly without reason. It's got alot worse sad

ajandjjmum Sun 24-Jan-16 21:56:17

DD has been taking it for 4/5 months, and I think she has been a bit more stroppy than usual!

Presumably your DH will only be on the drug for a limited period, is it normally 4 - 6 months, so I suppose it's whether you can stand the situation and see if it improves, or look to moving away until he's finished the treatment? Having said that, if you were having problems before, maybe it's nothing to do with the drug. sad

Hope it's helping him, because I know how bad skin can affect self esteem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now