Talk

Advanced search

To not drink this vodka again!

(24 Posts)
Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 16:55:58

Now I fully admit I am a bit anxious and paranoid about certain things but I always read all the print on bottles of spirits I buy after reading about counterfeit vodkas that are sometimes sold. On Friday I bought some stolichnaya from an off licence as I was having friends over for the evening. I had one drink and after a few sips thought it tasted a bit off so threw it out and switched to wine. I read the label today and noticed the word units was spelled untis. I have kept the bottle but could it be a fake one? Should I report it? Or could it be fine and I'm just being overcautious?

Perfectlypurple Sun 24-Jan-16 16:57:28

No harm in letting trading standards know.

AmserGwin Sun 24-Jan-16 16:59:32

Yes report it, it is likely to be fake and could make people ill

Osmiornica Sun 24-Jan-16 17:01:47

could well be fake. Yes, please report it.

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 17:02:11

Is it likely to make me ill if i have had no issues 48 hours later? I will report it tomorrow.

x2boys Sun 24-Jan-16 17:05:25

yes report it i watched a documentry about dodgy vodka once they were using industrial alcohol and people ended up very ill with i think a couple died.

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 17:07:45

x2boys - shock

Shit - feeling a bit anxious now!

x2boys Sun 24-Jan-16 17:09:06

i would think you would probably be ok now the ones that got ill got ill on the night i think .

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 17:11:52

Okay thanks. What kind of horrible wankers do stuff like this? angry

gamerchick Sun 24-Jan-16 17:17:10

You'll be alright, it's not like you drank a lot of it.

There's a couple of phone numbers to ring at the bottom of here. You'll have to report the shop as well though.

www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/effects-on-your-safety/the-dangers-of-fake-alcohol

Allbymyselfagain Sun 24-Jan-16 17:45:07

Please report it. Fake alcohol is deadly and if not deadly can cause serious long term health issues. The shop will have more than one bottle, I assume you picked it up off the shelf and didn't ask the shopkeeper with a wink. Also any dregs in the bottle can be tested very easily.

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 19:08:08

Ha no wink involved - it was no cheaper than I normally pay. In fact I think it was a couple of quid more! This was a nice off licence in a posh area.

PegsPigs Sun 24-Jan-16 19:29:32

Definitely definitely report. The stuff can be deadly in normal quantities. You'll be fine with a sip. Stoli is nice stuff so coupled with poor spelling it's got to be a fake. You might get your money back too if you paid normal price you should want it back after pouring it down the drain!

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 19:32:41

Actually thinking about it I'm wondering if I had one shot then realised on the second drink... hmm well everything I have read says reactions are stomach pain, dizziness and nausea then the bad stuff kicks in the next day so hopefully I am ok. I had a near empty bottle (which was from Sainsburys so fine) which I had a bit from first so a bit confused how much I had from the dodgy bottle! Yes I would hope I will get my money back.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 24-Jan-16 19:43:21

OMG. I'd say its definitely a fake and even if I'm wrong which I hope I am as a PP has said. It's best to be on the safe side and alert the relevant bodies.
Thank God. You're okay. I don't want to scare or alarm you or anyone else on the thread, but I remember a story from when I was about 10 years old. This couple went out for a night out and bought a bottle of vodka what a randomer was selling. A few hours later they were dead.
please report op. The next person may not be as lucky as you.

Titsywoo Sun 24-Jan-16 20:35:15

I had this issue before from an off licence but since the whole bottle was gone before I noticed the issue (and everyone who had it was fine) I didn't do anything about it. So I assume not all fake vodka is deadly but obviously a much higher risk. I will of course report this one. And I will only buy from supermarkets in the future - you just can't trust the smaller businesses it seems sad

CrystalMcPistol Sun 24-Jan-16 20:38:11

People can go blind from drinking counterfeit vodka. Definitely report.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 24-Jan-16 21:09:52

The people I'm referring to did go blind. Within about 15 minutes of consumption, so I believe.

Allbymyselfagain Tue 26-Jan-16 15:04:55

How are you titsy? Everything ok still?

Titsywoo Fri 29-Jan-16 23:00:24

I'm ok thanks. I reported it on Monday and the consumer rights people advised me to take the bottle back and get a refund. They said they would refer it to trading standards. Luckily I didn't take it back as Trading Standards called today and said could I keep hold of the bottle as they might need it as evidence. They asked if anyone had been ill as people can become seriously ill from counterfeit vodka. They are investigating it and said I might have to give evidence in the future. So they are taking it seriously which is good smile

So make sure you check over your bottles everyone! Scary stuff.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 29-Jan-16 23:08:39

Glad you're okay. They couldn't risk not taking it seriously.

DayToDayShit Fri 29-Jan-16 23:21:04

I have a bottle of Stolych in my freezer. I will check the writing on the label tomprrow and report back as I am now in bed. Mine was from Tesco so should be the real thing.

cozietoesie Fri 29-Jan-16 23:31:40

I would only buy vodka from a supermarket these days.

Titsywoo Sat 30-Jan-16 14:13:19

Yes supermarket should be fine (although I'll still be checking!) but I definitely won't be shopping at independent off licences now. Shame really but I can't take the risk. As I say the one I went to was very posh looking and in a nice area (calls itself a wine shop). It's not like I was buying a bottle from the back of some random blokes van.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now