Talk

Advanced search

To think I can start dancing at nearly 30

(23 Posts)
thinknoodles Sun 24-Jan-16 14:23:40

Okay, not sure if u have seen my previous thread about my son and ballet, but anyway... I want to go ahead and start classes too, probably just in tap... I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but I just want to prove to my son how it's okay and it'll be nice that we have an interest - am I being stupid in thinking I could start from a complete beginner? grin

Narp Sun 24-Jan-16 14:26:46

No, of course not. I do tap classes, and many of the women in the class either have not danced before, or had classes when they were little.

It's really fun, especially if you enjoy rhythm. It's a challenge for the brain too - tap especially I think

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Jan-16 14:26:52

Of course you can!

I've just started ballet at 37...

Narp Sun 24-Jan-16 14:28:13

And I think it's great to show your children that you are willing to get stuck in a try something new - although that was never my primary aim

StrawberryDelight Sun 24-Jan-16 14:29:09

Going from your previous thread, it's your DH who has the problem, not your ds at the moment.

And to be frank, should your DH's ridiculous and sexist views rub off on your ds then the fact his mum takes a dance class is unlikely to make him think that that means dance is OK for boys.

On the dance aspect itself though, no of course you can start dancing now. My dc's dance school runs adult beginners classes. My uncle has started learning Salsa at age 60 - you're never too old.

thinknoodles Sun 24-Jan-16 14:32:01

I know, but I would love to go, I watched his class and it looked a lot of fun grin

breezydoesit Sun 24-Jan-16 14:50:02

My mum is 65 and started ballet classes with the Scottish ballet. Absolutely loves it. Do what makes you happy. I say go for it.

CaveMum Sun 24-Jan-16 15:12:34

It's never too late to start dancing!

HelenaJustina Sun 24-Jan-16 15:16:41

Never too late, you'll have a blast!

donajimena Sun 24-Jan-16 15:20:45

Ive been dancing for the last 4 months and I love it. I think I look slightly better than when I started but I don't care. I'm having the time of my life! I'm mid forties.

MistressDeeCee Sun 24-Jan-16 15:26:35

Im 52 and do swing dance and tap. & Im not the eldest in my classes. The adult ballet classes are pretty popular where I am. Go for it

Katenka Sun 24-Jan-16 16:06:27

I started kick boxing at 32z never done martial arts before in my life.

I now compete.

I started in a family class for adults and kids learning the basics.

Absolutely no reason you can't start dancing

hels71 Sun 24-Jan-16 16:13:18

I am 44 and have started adult jazz and tap classes two weeks ago.....and I love it. I can follow about 50% of what is going on...but I will get there!

silverlace Sun 24-Jan-16 16:40:08

I am mid forties and have just started playing Touch Rugby. I haven't played a team sport since I was at school and absolutely love it. I feel fitter, have made some new friends and discovered that I actually can play.

If you want to dance go for it! You will be in the warm and dry unlike rugby!

tokoloshe2015 Sun 24-Jan-16 16:52:39

I started ballet in my early 30s... my body is not AT ALL balletic grin but I loved it and did it for about 6 years, including a couple of ballet school productions. Stopped for child care reasons, but would go back if I could.

Go for it1

Hamishandthefoxes Sun 24-Jan-16 16:55:16

I'm 40 and have just started salsa... I'm trying to persuade DH that he really can do ballroom dancing with me!

MultishirkingAgain Sun 24-Jan-16 17:19:43

YANBU. Go for it! I'd love to learn tap dancing one if these days, but I don't think I'm rhythmical enough!

Iwonderwhy123 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:27:04

Go for it! As the saying goes you have nothing to lose and lots to gain.
My Aunty started dancing in her mid fifties and is now bloody good at it.

ijustwannadance Sun 24-Jan-16 17:31:47

I started salsa/ballroom in late 20's. Would love to go now but finding a good male partner is quite hard.

HicDraconis Sun 24-Jan-16 19:13:47

I started karate at 40 - because my children did it, it looked fun and I wanted to get fitter. I'll never be Olympic standard but I love going, train several times a week and will get my black belt before I'm 50 😄

Definitely never too old, get your dancing shoes on 💃

PoptartPoptart Sun 24-Jan-16 19:49:47

My mum started tap lessons when she retired at 65, so 30 is definitely not too old!

Dixiechickonhols Sun 24-Jan-16 19:58:59

Adult tap and ballet very popular where I go, ballet especially. Can start as beginner at any age. The often have complete newbie short courses at the start of a term. I tap, most people are older in my class.

GingerNutRiskIt Sun 24-Jan-16 20:02:08

I started rollerskating and training for roller derby at 30.

Bloody go for it!
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now